Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpacking guitar?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:59 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
InFlight wrote:
without being overheavy.
Fiddle - small, light and historically correct to the American west.
I dunno. They're kind of delicate, and some of us can make them sound as annoying as bagpipes played badly. They do have mutes for fiddles though.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 7:06 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
some of us can make them sound as annoying as bagpipes played badly.
I can actually play the bagpipes badly. But they have a place in country music. I wish I'd learned to play the fiddle instead.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 pm 
It's possible to strum a violin:

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
bk

bk
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 4:00 pm 
The Washburn Rover is also a full-neck/small body guitar. Many YouTube reviews for both the Rover and the Martin Travel. Have not looked at many reviews of the Rover yet. One big question is: is it vulnerable to humidity? (made of wood, rather than pressboard) More points on the Martin Travel: One YouTube reviewer of the Martin Travel (who likes to swear a lot and calls anyone buying the Martin Travel a total moron; and who maybe needs to find a new hobby . . . but also had some good observations . . . ) points out many shortcomings of the Martin Travel (and ways to maybe fix 'em): Thick neck (distance from fret board to back of neck where you put your thumb): is thicker than normal. So any chords requiring wrapping your thumb around the back of the neck to thumb-fret the low-E string would be harder. [This might be the most non-fixable trait, but it can become a somewhat acquired taste in action, a bit, and can be doable . . . excepting some thumb-wrap-around chords.] No truss in the neck: So cannot shave down the size of the thicker neck to a more normal size. Strap peg is placed smack in the middle of the neck (around 10th or 12th fret?), but this could be easily moved by drilling a new place for it up by the tuning pegs/nut (or closer to the body), for instance. The nut is high: This can probably be removed and replaced with a lower nut, though tedious. Bridge is high: Could also be probably be removed and shaved, or replaced, but also tedious. Default string gauge is a bit heavy: easy enough to replace.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Aug 08, 2016 7:24 am 
Spot
Spot Mandeux

Spot
Spot Mandeux
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 am 
Aside from the obvious things they are impossible to play sitting down - kinda like trying to play a Flying V with no way to have it resting on your thigh. Also, there's no way to set the intonation so it always sounds out of tune. A cool concept and probably the best of what can be down for this type of thing but I don't think it will be as enjoyable after playing it for a bit as you might have hoped. My advice is to find a hiking roadie and have him carry your real one up smile.gif

Gruenk
Weather Anomaly

Gruenk
Weather Anomaly
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 am 
One word: Ukulele

over the hill

over the hill
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 am 
This is new from Martin. HPL top, back, and sides. Laminated neck. Kinda cool but $$$. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukulele/0x-uke-bamboo-natural/ I bought a Martin HPL guitar to pass time as my knee replacement surgery heals and like it a lot. Played the Backpacker in the store for giggles. I'd pass on it.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 pm 
When I go to the Boundary Waters I bring a full size guitar and a small mini banjo made by Zither Heaven I got for about $85 on Amazon. When I go backpacking I bring a harmonica.