Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Fork Skykomish Road Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:08 am 
Anyone have any current info on how far the North Fork Skykomish Road is driveable going north from Index?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 1:42 pm 
Matt, Nanyann sent me this detailed pm on the road when I had the same question thinking of a trip to Mineral Butte a couple of weeks ago. I still don't have a clear picture of how far up the road one can drive from Index but a follow up message stated that it was a 2.5 mile walk to Howard Ck from where they parked. I decided to postpone the trip until the days get a bit longer.
Quote:
Nancyann wrote:
Hi Rich, that darn bypass trail is a real mess. The state has marked out their proposed route and there are several different unofficial trails put in by locals who have properties on the other side. There are different colored markers and tree bands all over the place. This is the third time I have been through there, and we went a different way after the first quarter mile due to blowdowns, basically following boot prints in the snow. I didn't take any pics for the first 1/4 mile because I was too busy navigating through the mess. We actually ended up crossing to the other side of the N. Fork Sky, and then re crossing it to get to the other end of the washed out road. This will not be possible as soon as the river level goes up. We crossed after dropping down off the hillside, right at this big snow-covered culvert.
Index-Galena washout trail 1/28/17
We both wore Microspikes, snowshoes are not an option until you get to the other side. You can see the other end of the road past my hiking partner Paul in this pic, way off in the distance. This was after we re-crossed the river.
Fairly easy to follow the most popular boot path, but as soon as it snows again, pretty challenging.
When you finally get to the other side, then you walk up this for almost two miles until you reach the bridge, just a little past Howard Creek. Someone did snowshoe up it, but most were boot or spike tracks. We post holed a little bit, but not too badly, snow was fairly firm that day, about 1 to 1 1/2 ft deep on the road.
Index-Galena Road past the washout 1/28/17
Index-Galena Road past the washout 1/28/17
We had a snack at the bridge, then turned around and headed back, because we didn't want to try to make our way through the mess with headlamps.
North Fork Sky, upstream from bridge to Mineral Butte and Mineral City access roads 1/28/17
North Fork Sky, upstream from bridge to Mineral Butte and Mineral City access roads 1/28/17
View downstream from the bridge to Mineral Butte and Mineral City access roads 1/28/17
View downstream from the bridge to Mineral Butte and Mineral City access roads 1/28/17
My feeling is that you need as many hours of daylight as possible because you don't want to go through the bypass with limited visibility, i.e. darkness. It is a very long slog, yet, it would be a fun challenge. I can help you get through the bypass when you are ready, but you would want excellent conditions for this particular expedition! Nancy

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:17 am 
Drove to 6310 on bare pavement last night. I would imagine it's good to trout Creek, where the washout is. Sounds like it's also where Nancy Ann parked. Everything off road is snow covered at about 1,000'.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 12:40 pm 
Thanks for the update, ale_capone! Yes, the washout is just past the Trout Creek gated road. The bypass route we took past there to the other side is no longer possible due to too much water in the N. Fork Sky. It is possible to access Iron Mt. and the mines a little ways up Trout Creek before the washout though. smile.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 am 
Here's a site that sometimes has up-to-date info on the NF Sky road. http://skyko.org/