Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Kelcema 2/5/17 and 2/11/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:50 pm 
Lake Kelcema Snowshoe || 2/5/2017 10.2 Miles || 1788ft Elevation Gain || Max Elevation 3209ft || 5:05 Total Time Links to pictures, maps, and GPS data at the bottom. I was looking for a solid snowshoe with almost no avalanche risk. The recent weather brought some wonderfully fresh powder and long with it heightened avy conditions. Thus I settled on Lake Kelcema. The tl;dr version: Have AWD (I also had high clearance and snow tires…and was happy to have them). Bring snowshoes if you plan to go to the lake. Try to be mindful of XC Ski tracks when snowshoeing as well. I got to the trailhead at 7:15am or so and was the only car there short of two folks that camped overnight. Mountain Loop was pretty clear up until the last few miles where there was snow/ice/large potholes. The trailhead was covered in foot deep snow. I had no problems in my Forester w/ Nokians on it. The trail (forest service road) was snow covered the whole time and the powder got deeper as I went up. For the last couple miles up to the lake I was breaking fresh trail into a couple foot deep powder (which got tiring pretty quick). There were a few mice views of Bald Mountain off to the SW and Devil’s Peak to the NE along the road. I ventured up to the lake and off trail a little bit once I got there, ultimately not going all the way around the lake. Up to this point I hadn’t seen a soul. I started my descent and then came across several hikers coming up. Most of them XC Skiing. A few dogs, some friendly, some not, but all the owners were responsible and kind. I did my best to stay out of the XC Ski tracks with my snowshoes, although I’ll admit I wasn’t perfect as the tracks got all mixed up in several places. I’m not sure if any of them made it all the way to the lake, but I hope they did (and that my trail breaking didn’t go unused =)). By the time I got back to the trailhead (about 12:30pm) there were several cars and space was quickly running out. I changed into some more comfortable clothing (a fresh pair of socks and shoes when you get back to your car is invaluable) and enjoyed driving in the snow a bit before I drove off to food with a great snowshoe behind me. Highly recommended even though there aren’t fantastic views everywhere. Still beautiful. Flickr Pictures and Videos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRAMqUh Hillmap: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDIm5f-Cgw Garmin VivoActive HR Map (less accurate): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1560211826 Garmin GPSMAP 64s (more accurate): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0IZI1HQDlPucmNZY3A5bVA5Ykk/view?usp=sharing
View larger size in new window  📎02052017 Lake Kelcema.gpx.kml (56 KB)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm 
Nice one. Thanks for the conditions update. up.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 11:19 pm 
I did the snowshoe trip up to Kelcema, it was brutal, never again! However, the downhill grade is perfect for cross country skiing. Only Snowshoe to Kelcema lake if you are young and/or are in superior physical condition....or at any age or condition, if you like pain and a never ending journey, then go for it! Even the gnome and his 500 year old feet got a blister, according to him, his first ever! Be afraid! eek.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 10:15 am 
This is my go-to X-ski route up the Mt. Loop. The first 1.5 miles can be a bit too fast on the way down for beginner/intermediates (my wife doesn't care for it) if it is at all icy - that section gets packed and lumpy from hiker/sledders. Walking down carrying the skis is an option there. The rest of it is normally just right angle for a fun cruise down. Depending on conditions it can take me 2-3 hours to the lake trail head, then 30-40 min. back out. Around the lake can be a bit tight and has some dips, but is quite skiable. There is a washout on the road that sometimes requires skis off to negotiate, but no scrambling needed anywhere. Luckily this year they closed the gate before the 4-wheelers got up into the snow to track it out. Some years they don't and the ruts can persist most of the winter.

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:15 am 
Haha! The snowshoe up to Lake Kelcema is indeed a bit of a never ending uphill but, that said, (and I guess I'm young and like a little pain, lol) it isn't totally terrible. It's about 4.5 miles up and then back-country for a mile or so. I ended up going back this weekend with a few friends. We had the evolution of MSR snowshoes going on, and the oldest pair bit the bucket 4 miles up the trail. Paracord to the rescue! =)
A kind XC Skier left a nice note on my Subi at the trailhead. We were doing our best to break a clear snowshoe path separate from the ski path. Of course things got a little mixed up on certain sections, but for the most part, hopefully people got the idea!
More pictures for trail conditions (and one of yours truly, lol):
WTA: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2017-02-12.2017702765

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm 
This was one of my first snowshoe trips back in 2008 (solo). I think I have been three times total over the years. One year it was brutal (breaking trail in fresh powder) and I didn't quite make it to the lake. Was a bit under the weather that day too as I recall. It just depends on the snow conditions how tough it is. I got one of my favorite pictures to this date of Big 4 mountain from the road..
Snowy Big Four Mountain coming down Deer Creek Road.
Snowy Big Four Mountain coming down Deer Creek Road.
I need to get back up there although not in the greatest of shape right now. Another benefit of going here is no passes needed to park.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 4:42 pm 
I was up there today. Thanks to all the snowshoers who packed down the trail. On an easy road like this I find that a good snowshoe track is actually faster and easier to follow than a ski track, especially on the way down. Firm spring like conditions made for a fast round trip. Sounds like it will get washed down in the warm rain the next couple days - there are a few thin spots that will likely go to the gravel and mean skis off until/unless we get more snow later.