Forum Index > Food & Grub > Anyone have any couscous recipes they like?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff

Jeff
PostMon May 02, 2016 3:49 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostWed May 04, 2016 6:54 am 
I've used herbs and spices more reminiscent of Italian cooking for good results. I don't have specified amounts for these ingredients, but garlic powder, onion powder or onion flakes, black pepper, salt, basil and oregano do the trick. If you have sun dried tomatoes, throw them in too. Bring some olive oil and those little packs of Parmesan cheese you can get at pizza joints. Another combo I make includes garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, black pepper, salt. As always give it some olive oil, and I'll often put slivered almonds in as well. Maybe some dried currants or raisins if you're inclined. This recipe might be too close to curry for you though. Take out the coriander if that's the case. The quickness of couscous makes it one of my go to backcountry dinners.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri May 13, 2016 4:48 pm 
It HAS to have fat added or it won't be right. That is my key....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostSun May 15, 2016 7:56 am 
I make most of my food from scratch, but when it comes to cous cous, I just buy a box of Toasted Pine Nut Cous Cous which is made by Near East. Just empty the spice packet into boiling water, add the cous cous and let it sit for 5 minutes. Couldn't be easier. The flavor of this mix goes with just about anything. I often add olive oil and more pine nuts to make it a little more hearty. It's fairly easy to find in grocery stores, and it seems to go on sale often. Here's a link on Amazon so you can see what the box looks like: Pine Nut Cous Cous

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun May 15, 2016 6:36 pm 
The thing about couscous - it's so bland on it's own you can add whatever mix of things you do like to make a meal.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu May 26, 2016 5:22 pm 
As a rule, how well couscous tastes is a function of what you put on it. By itself, it just has sort of a plain, bland pasta kind of taste -- not much to either like or dislike.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 am 
Quote:
As a rule, how well couscous tastes is a function of what you put on it. By itself, it just has sort of a plain, bland pasta kind of taste -- not much to either like or dislike.
^ true. and you have to add some fat or it's like eating bird food. great stuff under most any Indian dish or roasted lamb shank or a mix of stewed/spiced prunes and apricots (and/or cranberries, raisins, or??)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 10:57 am 
I use couscous as a staple 'cause it is precooked(?) pasta and rehydrates very fast in hot water. You could use potato flakes pretty much the same way. I add dehydrated (usually pea) soup, maybe TSP, freeze-dried veggies, chopped jerky, boullion cube or ramen seasoning packet (miso soup might be good). Add hot water in a big cup. I always carry a separate bottle of vegetable oil carefully bagged in heavy-duty plastic and kept in a protected place outside the pack -- phobic about leaks inside my pack -- lightest way to carry calories. I add it to everything, especially the dog food. The bottle has kept getting bigger over the years.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 3:10 pm 
At home I've found making it with broth instead of water makes a huge difference. I could see boullion, miso, or ramen seasoning doing the same thing!

sound2summit
Will choss for beer

sound2summit
Will choss for beer
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 am 
I always throw in a few tablespoons of butter and some bacon bits. Beyond that, just season however you like. Mediterranean flavors are the best.

That doesn't look too bad...
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm 
Geography Nerd wrote:
At home I've found making it with broth instead of water makes a huge difference. I could see boullion, miso, or ramen seasoning doing the same thing!
+1 Broth, whether vege, chicken, or beef will push it up a notch. Same for quinoa. I'm a huge fan of the larger Israeli(?) variety of cous cups with sautéed garlic, pine nuts, and sun dried tomatoes, then broth added and prepared as same as usual. Maybe some Parmesan or Romano on top.

Songs2

Songs2
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 pm 
I start with couscous+ : pine nuts, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes (and plan not to use much of the salty seasoning otherwise). Scallions, dill, grated Parmesan cheese, seasoning such as pepper, and salmon or lemon tuna, which can be in the little foil packets if front-country camping. (I do like curry and usually add it.) This makes a pretty satisfying, fast-cooking meal. The savory is important; I carry dill on backpacks. Couscous could be part of a backcountry camping meal if combined with rehydrated vegetables and legumes. I would add cheese as well, plus dill, pepper.

RudyNeff

RudyNeff
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 pm 
My favourite recipe is Apple cake mug. I found about this recipe from the guide minceur. After checking, this link on the internet, I came to know about this recipe. I love trying different recipes. I always enjoy cooking and eating different recipes.

Rudy Neff
JeffreyH

JeffreyH
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 am 
In general, I don't like couscous too much, but this one is ok.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 pm 
JeffreyH wrote:
In general, I don't like couscous too much, but this one is ok.
Thanks! It is one of my faves smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.