Forum Index > Trail Talk > South Central Utah in April
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 3:15 pm 
Heading to south central Utah at the en of April. I have plenty of ideas but am welcoming input on must sees and dos. I've already scoured Mr. Morrow TRs, so that's covered. Might very possibly be traveling solo, so that's a consideration. Would love a good multi-night bc route, maybe up around Capitol Reef, if anyone has something to offer - min 2 nights, 3 or 4 pref. Thanks in advance!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 am 
Here's my TR from mid-April going through the SE side of Utah. Note that it was 18 degrees when we arrived at Capital Reef but it could be hot then too. I can't speak for backpacking trips because we just did day hikes but I would suggest Southern Needles for an overnighter.

canadug

canadug
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 3:18 pm 
We go to Central Utah every March and it is amazing. Many of the canyons along Hole in the Rock road near Escalante are FAB! Capitol Reef as well is excellent..Most trips you need to carry all your water. Lower Muley Twist is an excellent 2 dayer. Here is a must have guide book: https://www.amazon.ca/Hiking-Here-WOW-Canyon-Country/dp/089997452X Also, this is the best website I have found for hiking in Utah: http://backcountrypost.com/

lanzscape

lanzscape
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 am 
Coyote Gulch is a bit south of central Utah, but certainly ranks as a top backpacking destination and one of my personal favorite places. However, you won't be alone there as it gets pretty crowded at that time of year. As noted by canadug, there are other canyons off the Hole in the Rock Road as well. Amazing area.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 am 
Find the westernmost access to Dark Canyon if you can. It is a steep chute down to the creek but not dangerous, just a sand trough snaking around boulders along a fault line. The creek will be flowing nice clear water in April.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 pm 
The canyon country of Utah is amazing in the spring - Here's the trip report/article I wrote about my trip there: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2014/01/exploring-scenic-views-of-utah.html Can't be much help re the backcountry trip planning, but if you haven't visited the region before I highly recommend all the famous stuff - there's Delicate Arch is so incredibly popular! Worth braving the crowds to see. I had a couple days in Arches and was able to hit most of the highlights, but I could easily see spending a lot more time there! Bryce Canyon is equally amazing - if not more so! Definitely plan on hiking the Peek-A-Boo loop trail if you go! As awesome as it is, I'm not sure I could really recommend Zion due to the crowds, though in the canyon the excellent shuttle bus system alleviates that problem to some extent. Capitol Reef is cool, but its not quite as impressive as the previously mentioned locations. Canyonlands is also great, but aside from Mesa Arch (one of the best spots on earth to watch the sunrise IMHO) the northern portion of the park doesn't have a lot of variation. The Needles area of Canyonlands on the other hand has some fantastic backpacking opportunities, which I'd love to experience some day!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 pm 
Last year I spent a week in Escalante, mostly down Hole In The Rock Road and really enjoyed it. Probably the most isolating desert trip I've had so far. All of my car camps were just at the ends of small spur roads with nobody else around, no lights visible for miles. I could have easily spent another few days out there. For backpacking, I went into Coyote Gulch. Really spectacular! Lots of fun to just wander down a red rock canyon with high walls, ankle deep warm water the whole way. Camped on a sandy beach under a rock alcove. I hiked in and out through Hurricane Wash since I was solo. Going back I'd leave my car at Red Well and pay the shuttle service to drive me down to Crack in The Wall at the end of the road. You could camp somewhere towards the end of the canyon and explore further down, spend the next day or two walking back up towards your car at Red Well. I just had an AWD Rav4 rental and drove a few miles beyond Dance Hall Rock and it handled things fine.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 pm 
Did I hear someone say 'canyon'? http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?62130-The-Super-Amazing-Canyoneering-Map To open the map full screen: 1. Click "Menu" at the top of the map 2. Click "Full screen" in the second column

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 am 
Thanks for the replies everyone. Good suggestions steering me toward my initial inclinations. Randy, you had me at "pies, scones and preserves"! Seriously though, great TR. I wish I could spend a week or two more than I can down there. Now I know why Mr. Morrow goes every spring. (Okay, I already knew.) Canadug, thanks for that website - good rabbit holes to follow. Glad you recommended that book; I'd been eyeing it thinking it was the one to get. Opus, you pretty much helped me seal the deal for my focus. Hole in the Rock and Capitol Reef (Schroeder's pics) are going to get my time. So, does anyone have favorite dispersed sites along HitR? I was thinking about "packing" out to Sunset Arch one evening and pitching a tent there for the night (I think it's like 1.5 miles from the TH, x country). Thoughts on that? I also think I might take my bike so I can turn some not-quite-loop trips into easy loops that don't require miles of soul-sucking road walks.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
canadug

canadug
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 pm 
Hi Gwen, Email me through the site and I can give you some of our 'fave' camping and cool hikes and backpacks we have done.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 9:12 pm 
Lot of good advice here. If going down Hole in the Rock Rd. check out Dancehall Rock

Off trail rambler
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 9:50 pm 
PM me if you want a dispersed camping suggestion near Capitol Reef. I really enjoyed the Navaho Knob dayhike there btw. Capitol Gorge is cool to drive and hike through if the road is open. There's also a canyon hike accessed by a trail that switchbacks up across the street from the NP campground that isn't a long hike but I found it super sweet. A bit northeast of Capitol Reef is the Horseshoe Canyon hike in the Maze district of Canyonlands - look it up. Very nice canyon walk with a few BIG rewards. And quite the dirt road trek to get there. But you can't do it all and this is on the wrong direction from your last stated plan...

Abert

Abert
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 7:35 am 
It's the time of year that I've been thinking about views from past Capitol Reef area car camps:
As I work on putting photos on flickr this winter, I've got 9 years of spring trips to Utah posted. My collections page has pictures of over 100 hikes for the Utah trips.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 3:16 pm 
Nice shot of Factory Butte!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 am 
Not South Central but a FYI... http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2017/02/no-backpacking-arches-national-park-now

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want