Forum Index > Trail Talk > Table Mountain trailhead is a gonner (Columbia River Gorge)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 am 
http://craigromano.com/blog/2017/02/09/popular-trailhead-in-gorge-permanently-closed/ frown.gif Table Mountain is one of the only major hikes on the WA side of the gorge I haven't done yet. I think there's a logging road to the north of the summit somewhere where you can pick up the PCT and get to Table from there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 3:29 pm 
Most of my Gorge hiking has been on the Oregon side. I never bumped Table Mountain very high up my to do list, now probably won't ever get to it. Lots of discussion on Oregonhikers about this.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 1:40 pm 
As the linked article states, there are other options. This "trailhead" was basically a shortcut. You can still access Table Mt via the PCT from either direction.

drm

drm
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 2:07 pm 
This hike has some of the most spectacular views of any Gorge hike, as well as some of the steepest trail. The views are great but also dangerous, a couple hikers having fallen off the cliff to their mortal end in recent years. Hiking it from the North Bonneville trailhead nearly doubles the length and results in miles of nearly flat hiking, some of it through private land clearcuts, before you start the 3300 EG. It's not a very inviting option. A decade ago the North Bonneville TH was often listed as the trailhead and when the Aldrich Butte-area options were discovered, they were considered a short-cut. But I think they are now pretty standard as the main trailhead for anybody who hikes this great and serious hike. I think there is enough public land in the vicinity of the current trailhead if road access is rearranged a bit. Hikers will need to gather and advocate for a proper trailhead. The current trailhead has room for many cars and is never nearly full. I think there may be ways to access this trailhead on foot from nearby parking without crossing private land if you know the area well, but parking is severely limited so it's not a real solution.