Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm 
Enchantment Permit requests???

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 2:12 pm 
Not sure what the question is but here is a link to the permit application page at recreation.gov
Quote:
NEW THIS YEAR: •Alternate group leaders will NO LONGER be accepted. Party leader MUST carry photo ID with permit and show it to a Ranger upon request. Permits are not valid without ID. •Only one lottery application per person will be accepted. •ALL group members must begin on the reserved trip start date only and camp with the Party Leader. Permit is NOT VALID if trip is started on date other than what is indicated on the permit. All members of the group will be cited and visitors will be asked to leave. •Every group member must carry a copy of the permit.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 3:38 pm 
Wow, that's getting pretty restrictive. I'm guessing the rangers must have encountered a fair amount of folks playing fast and loose with the rules last year. However, the removal of the alternate leader from the permit really sucks. I cannot think of a good reason why they'd do that. It means there is absolutely no flexibility. If the leader ends up not being able to go, the whole group is screwed. It seems reinstatement of an alternate leader would be something worth fighting for.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 pm 
Glass half full. Unless you're in the group that can't go, because the leader couldn't make it.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm 
It does not seem fair to the other people on the permit to have the reservation cancelled if the group leader cannot make it for some reason. It would be interesting to know why they made the change.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 5:02 pm 
reststep wrote:
It does not seem fair to the other people on the permit to have the reservation cancelled if the group leader cannot make it for some reason. It would be interesting to know why they made the change.
I've heard it suggested that they made the change to prevent people with no intention of hiking the enchantments from applying for permits and then listing their hiker friend as the alternate leader, thus allowing the hiker friend to have a better chance of winning the lottery. It's sad they have to impose restrictions like this to keep people from taking advantage of loopholes in the system. I like the idea of being able to have an alternate leader, but it seems that people are abusing it, so it's getting taken away.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 pm 
That's plausible. But you know what that means? It means someone spent some time doing "data analysis" to detect that. And enough loophole jumping was detected to make new rules to put a stop to it. In all fairness, there could still be an alternate leader category with a new rule that you could only apply once to be an alternate leader.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 2:59 pm 
Why not make the fee to change leader the original cost of the permit? That way the rest of the party can still still go if the leader can't. While punitive, it gives the remaining party first dibs on the permit if they still want to go. They're no worse off than losing the permit.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:09 pm 
Tom wrote:
Why not make the fee to change leader the original cost of the permit? That way the rest of the party can still still go if the leader can't. While punitive, it gives the remaining party first dibs on the permit if they still want to go. They're no worse off than losing the permit.
Have you considered passing this idea along to the Forest Service? It's unlikely to change this year, but maybe they would be open to changing it in the future.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:14 pm 
Help me out. It asks what zone I want, but I would like to move from zone to zone. I don't see this addressed on the application or on the rules page.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:38 pm 
If you want to move from zone to zone, you need to apply for a permit for the "Core" Zone. This allows camping anywhere, anytime along the traverse - from the Snow Lake to Colchuck Lake THs. It's documented somewhere in there.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm 
Seems too complicated to me, there are so many others places to go with far less people, I have no desire to visit the Enchantments, although I would like to get to Colchuck lake and maybe ascend Asgaard pass.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
reststep

reststep
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:20 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Help me out. It asks what zone I want, but I would like to move from zone to zone. I don't see this addressed on the application or on the rules page.
AlpineRose wrote:
If you want to move from zone to zone, you need to apply for a permit for the "Core" Zone. This allows camping anywhere, anytime along the traverse - from the Snow Lake to Colchuck Lake THs. It's documented somewhere in there.
Magellan, as I recall you used to be able to do that but the rules have changed. As I recall under the old rules you were required to camp in the zone you had the permit for the first night and after that you could camp in any other zone except the core area. Also under the old system you could request any available date in for example August or September. That option is not available any more. I got permits a couple of times that way.