Forum Index > Trail Talk > Kid/family-friendly 3-night backpacking in ONP?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mstrent
emtray

mstrent
emtray
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 pm 
Howdy, all. Great forum! First post. We're planning a backpacking trip in June with some friends. One person in our group has a time/distance limitation that pretty much keeps us to the Olympic National Park area. We also have children in tow from age 5-up. Thus far, I haven't had much success finding routes in ONP that seem kid-friendly. Mileage or elevation gain, or both, seem pretty high for most of the routes I've looked at. Our 5-year old made it out and around Packwood Lake, probably 6+ miles, with a little pack last summer. But that was pretty flat. Any suggestions for a trip that'd fit the bill? I'm open to loop, out-and-back, or hike in to a base camp + day hikes scenarios. Thanks in advance!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:30 pm 
Just a few thoughts off the top of my head: 1. June is still early and since we seem to be having a somewhat normal snow year, probably lots of stuff in the "high country" will still be packed in, so that will probably rule out Obstruction Point and Deer Park as starting points. 2. A hike on the coast (aim for mid week if possible for a slightly lower chance of dealing with insanely crowded camp areas and literal crap storm) might be nice for the kiddo(s) and always has lots of unique stuff to look at and watch. 3. Depending on snow levels, the old Olympic Hot Springs CG (No Camp Fires!!!) is a few miles in and has at least two directions to hike, south up to Appleton Pass, and west to Boulder Lake. You could even loop around the Happy Lake Ridge Trail (can be done as a long dayhike, or broken into nice bite size chunks) and potentially camp at a couple locations... but again depends on the snow level at that time. 4. I'm a big fan of the Staircase area in general. You could base camp in the area (hopefully) and then explore around. I don't think ONP will allow camping (or they will soon stop it) at the old drive-in Staircase CG [edit: <- ignore this, see comments below regarding the fact that this CG will still be open], but it has at least 6 different hikes branching off from that area. The kiddo could easily hike the low loops or even head upstream along the N Fk. Skok. For the more adventurous there are several really, really steep trails up to some lakes, as well as several nearby ONF trails that go past some old mines or other iconic hikes. 5. The Dosewallips River is an approximately 6.5 mile walk-in (after the newest road washout) to the old "abandoned" CG. By June it should be snowfree I would think and the elevation gain is not too bad. From the CG you can try to go visit Constance Pass (alpine pass with views down into the Dungeness river drainage), or up either of the two forks of the Dose as well. In any of those cases you will most likely encounter snow after you start gaining some elevation on those trails so poles and traction devices (though maybe not snowshoes) should be brought along. The west fork up to Anderson Pass is really well graded as I recall. The main Dose trail does not really get an great views until you are at one of the three passes that branch off from along it. 6. The Buckhorn Wilderness in the ONF (NE corner, usually less precip==usually less snow accumulation) is always great, but snow on higher portions can make some of the potential loops/out-and-backs very tricky so I don't think I would recommend it that early (it also gets super-crowded on any remotely nice weekend). 7. If, if, you can drive to the Whiskey Bend TH (the last couple of winters have been really rough on the Elwha valley roads), The Humes Ranch loop trail and camp would be a good kid friendly base camp location. The camp there is interesting (in my opinion) and you can explore down along the river (Goblins Gate/Rica Canyon is worth the sidetrip/loop) and check out the two old cabins. You can head up the Elwha River trail (I found the the Lillian River side trail kind of boring) to Elkhorn Camp and beyond as day trips, or cross the bridge and try to head up to Dodger Point via the Long Ridge trail, or (recommended) head north down along the west side of the river just to check things out (you can reach the west side of Goblins Gate in a mile or two).

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
mstrent
emtray

mstrent
emtray
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 9:55 am 
Thanks so much! I will look in to these. One thing I should mention: I don't mind getting dirty and gross for days in the backcountry, but I truly hate sand. smile.gif *Looking* at the beach and the ocean is great. But sand gets everywhere. Especially with kids. Call me a pansy, but camping on or around sand kinda sounds like my worst nightmare. dizzy.gif wink.gif I'm also looking for the full backpacking experience as much as possible, away from amenities. The family we're taking with us are trailer campers and I'd like to give them a decent taste of backcountry. If we weren't geographically tied to the Olympics, I'd probably take them to Sheep Lake/Crystal Lakes by Chinook Pass, or Packwood Lake, something like that.

Brockton

Brockton
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 am 
meck wrote:
I don't think ONP will allow camping (or they will soon stop it) at the old drive-in Staircase CG
What's going on with the Staircase campground? They're closing it?

reststep

reststep
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 am 
Here is a link to a previous thread about the possible closure of the Staircase Campground. LINK I don't know what the latest information is regarding the possible closure.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 4:57 pm 
Just do one of the many wonderful old-growth-forest river hikes. Kids love rivers. In June, you are likely confined to the low country anyway. Just pick one on whichever side of the park is most convenient.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 pm 
Brockton wrote:
meck wrote:
I don't think ONP will allow camping (or they will soon stop it) at the old drive-in Staircase CG
What's going on with the Staircase campground? They're closing it?
No. This rumor might be called "fake news". In 2013 and 2014, agencies were required to formulate contingency plans to implement the discretionary spending cuts mandated by Congress in the so-called budget sequestration. One of the few options the Park had was to cut law enforcement staffing, which would've made it impossible for NPS to provide the 45 minute response time to Staircase campground which is mandated by regulation, requiring it be closed. Congress has since passed continuing budget resolutions, so this contingency plan has not been necessary. Staircase CG will be open for the season in late May through September.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 7:10 pm 
I'd suggest Dosewallips Camp as well. It's not quite as flat as Packwood but not too much more for a five year old. This is an old drive in campsite in decay, with tons of room for backpackers tents. River is moving way to fast to play in. But it's nice clear water with no silt. There is at least one outhouse. I recall there is one area of the trail that has a lot of fire damaged trees.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
meck

meck
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm 
@ RodF: That is good news!! I just remember reading on numerous parts of the ONP and ONF websites that the only car camping that was going to be left near Staircase was the revamped CG @ Big Creek (which to me was boring by comparison to the Staircase CG), I thought it was going to be quite a loss (and the CG looked pretty "beat up" the last couple of times I'd visited, albeit before the spring cleanups smile.gif ). I've edited my first post to reflect that.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
trestle

trestle
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 pm 
meck wrote:
the old Olympic Hot Springs CG (No Camp Fires!!!) is a few miles in
No camp fires? Every time I've been there the evidence of camp fires has been rampant, even outside of the old CG in the remote sites. Perhaps you're making a willful suggestion. wink.gif up.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am 
Buckhorn Wilderness, at least up around Marmot Pass won't be melted out in June, but going up the Gray Wolf is certainly a possibility. Are you looking for specifically going into the mountains? If not, The Cape Alava/Sand Point loop is great and has tons of fun tide pools and stuff to explore for the kids. 9 miles total if I recall.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:17 pm 
Kids are 5 and up to .... what? If it's little kids, I'd consider the Bogachiel. Easy. Flat. River. Trees. Long drive.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."