Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bogachiel River Trail, ONP  Feb 12-13, 2017
Previous :: Next Topic  
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 11:00 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
How interesting! No, we didn't stay at the State Park, which is north of the S. Bogachiel Rd., which appears turn into a trail that heads down towards Hell Roaring Creek and connects to the Hoh, in addition to being an old boat launch on the Bogachiel, which is where we crossed and picked up the official trail. Now my interest is piqued and I may have to pay bobbi a visit this spring to see if that crossing is still accessible..
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman
PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:03 am 
Seems like you started out on the south side of the river to get to where the trail was on the north side of the river. All the trail guide descrptions and when I visited have the trail start on the north side of the river on Undi Road.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostFri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm 
Some of those houses on Undi Rd have been there since 1940, and the beginning of the trail (the mile in the NF) was a road at one time.  Used to be homesteads on that beginning stretch.  Maybe it just was just accepted to go in from the south and ford?  For the Queets you used to drive in along the north side with no ford, little parking lot there until the 80's.  Then they started making the access from the south and a ford required.

--------------
“Arbolist?  Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.”  G.W. Bush
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 1:59 pm 
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot - excellent report. Nice to see captured the stark mid-winter white of the alders along the river.

--

There seems to be some confusion in the exchange above.
The Queets River Road has always been on the south bank of the river. There was never a road on the north bank. The road was 13.2 miles in length up until about 2008 when they re-routed traffic through the "back door" road via the #21 (West Boundary) road.

In the 1930s and 1940s the Queets River road was about 100 yards longer than it is today.

As long as I can remember, the Undi road was the approach to the Bogachiel, and there was no ford required to get there - that's why my late (oldest) brother preferred the Bogachiel over the Queets, as his old knees couldn't deal with the ford or the continual ups and downs of the first couple miles of the Queets trail - the trail on the Bogachiel is pretty much flat for the first few miles.

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 5:16 pm 
Ski, it is good to see that another person remebers there being no ford at the Bogachiel trailhead. That's why I was trying to pin down Nancyann's description of the trailhead since her description of the Bogachiel trailhead didn't jive with what I've read and experienced in hiking the Bogachiel. Except for the shelter/buildings being a few miles in from the trailhead, what Nancyann describes still makes me think it was the Queets trailhead she was remembering.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 pm 
Her descriptions really don't match either.

Bogachiel was always approached from Undi road, which is on the north bank of the river.
Road ends, you walk about 1.5 miles through NFS land, then enter NPS land where it becomes somewhat more heavily wooded.
Used to be some sort of structure up the trail a bit, but I believe it was gone before I ever went up there in the mid-1990s.
Shouldn't have been any ford necessary to access the Bogachiel Trail.

Queets River Road was always on the south bank. There was never a road on the north bank of the Queets. Ford was at the end of the road, 13.2 miles from Hwy 101 via the old route, just a bit farther from Hwy 101 via the #21 (West Boundary) road. Queets Ranger Station is approximately 1-1/4 mile west of the end of the road. There is a small campground at the end of the road. First "structure" would have been the Andrews Barn about 1.5 miles up the trail, which was (as near as Jacilee Wray and I were able to ascertain) flattened by a trail crew at some point between 1988-1990, so any remains of it would not have been visible unless you waded into that patch of Himalaya blackberry. Next structure up the trail was Spruce Bottom Shelter (5.0 miles), which was burned in 1970 (?), so its remains haven't been visible for over 40 years. Next structure would have been the remains of Smith Place, 6.0 miles from trailhead located on south bank of river, last set of photographs from 2016 shows it in a completely collapsed state - flat on the ground.

--------------
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am 
There was some kind of road--glorified trail (maybe road is too nice a term) there that was re-hatched during the start of WW2.  The aircraft observers would go up that road to about Andrews and then take the trail up to Kloochman.  Then they weren't trapped during the times when they couldn't ford.  Only thing you can really find now is an overgrown alder path that meets up at the ford.

--------------
“Arbolist?  Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.”  G.W. Bush
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:08 pm 
^ The first 1.5 miles of the trail (from the end of the Queets River Road to Andrews Field) were originally a road. They drove across the river at the confluence of the Sams and the Queets and then drove up to Andrews Field (formerly known as "Andrews Lower Field".)
I've noted it in another thread here somewhere.... HERE - down toward the bottom of the post - http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=231973#231973

--------------
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 pm 
Sorry guys, it was definitely the Bogachiel. I double-checked with my hiking partner who did the driving. Neither one of us has ever been as far south as the Queets, but I would like to go there some day. smile.gif
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:29 pm 
OK, did a little digging and I may have sorted out a bit of this controversey.

It looks like the Bogachiel River Trail has alway been on the north side of the River. But there appears in these old maps that there was also a trail that went up, kinda semi-parallel to HWY 101 that connects with the Bogachiel and crosses at two different places. Click on the first map labeled NW: North Snider-Jackson, Bogachiel, Hoh and look along the Hell-Roaring Cr. This was the 1933 maps and since I am not sure when Nancyann took her trip, I cannot say with any certainty that this is in fact her route to the Bogachiel.

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:56 pm 
Thanks Rumi! Your information corroborates with my post at the top of this page. I have an old map which shows this old trail as well. We did that trip in 1971. biggrin.gif
Hesman and Ski, were you thinking my friend and I might be having "MEMORY ISSUES" huh.gif . fencing.gif
At any rate, it's been fun discussing this with you, as it reminded my friend and I of all the crazy adventures we used to have back in the day! smile.gif  up.gif
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
Didn't mean to sidetrack, but curious.  It really is amazing how many trails out here barely exist. I have found tons that were built by the CCC during the 30's or packers that have been mostly absorbed back into the woods.

--------------
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 am 
Well, the recovery time on the west side of the Olympics is about 90 days. If you don't keep the brush chopped down to the ground, it grows back fast fast fast.
When I cleared out the footpath that leads down to Ruby Beach, Tim S. (then the Kalaloch Ranger) had me cut it back about 8-10 feet on each side from the trail tread, clear down to the ground. It was all overgrown with salmonberry and serviceberry. Looked like hell when I got done. Three months later you could hardly tell I'd been there.
There were trails all over the west side of the Olympics. I've found little remnants of old trails up on Christmas Creek (a tributary to the Clearwater) and on the upper Clearwater. Some of them are still extant in places.

--------------
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 pm 
What a great thread. A winter hike on the Bogie, photos, bird nest fungi (got it from my fifth grade teacher), old ford of a big river, controversy about old trails and roads, a hiker who knows where she's been, local expertise and accessible historical documents that confirm a forty year old recollection.

Wow.
gb

gb
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 pm 
Interesting. I hiked the Bogachiel such as it was last February. At that time from the TH on the road (and I'm sure now) the trail does not follow the road but drops 100' to the bottomland in a couple of switchbacks. It then crosses a stream on a very big log - could that have been the ford?

Last year after descending to the bottomland, the trail followed an old road a short distance to a drop-off where there had been a significant wash-out. There was a bypass trail with a very narrow connection (without wading) that led to a continuation of the actual trail. I believe there was yet another bypass further along. I came to the second junction with the very scenic Nature Trail and just there the trail disappeared into a streambed for about 50 yards. A bypass did not look practical so it would have been walking in a foot of water on slippery rocks through and past this side stream. I turned around here at 1-1/2 miles. I met a fellow with waders with felt soles who continued past this. But he said in a short distance he hit a vertical washout with 6-8' bank that would have been difficult to climb back up. He turned around there and I met him photographing on the Nature Trail.

Was the first bypass in anyway repaired? It looked and was sketchy with a risk of a fall into the main river. What happened at the streambed beyond the Nature Trail? Later, did the main trail then end at a good sized drop-off or was that too repaired?

The Bogachiel was very beautiful as far as I walked (and the Nature Trail). I recall from a previous trip in the 90's that there were many magnificent large Spruce beyond where I turned around last year.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bogachiel River Trail, ONP  Feb 12-13, 2017
  Happy Birthday Creaky Knees, ryleymyers, PNWdave, penc!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: