Forum Index > Trip Reports > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm 
Okaay! There is (or, was) a shelter at about four miles, right? We thought we went up the Bogie, but back in those days, you never know! dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 8:13 pm 
Now you've got my curiosity up, Hesman! I'll see if my hiking pal can remember how long the road/trail was before we encountered the ford, and check back in later...it was the Bogachiel though, it was the next drainage after the Hoh. smile.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 8:51 pm 
I just talked to my hiking pal. She was the one driving, so has a better recollection of the road and trailhead. She is positive it was the Bogachiel. The road in from 101 was relatively short and there was a campground at the start of the trail, where we stayed overnight. The next morning, we proceeded up the trail several miles before we crossed the river, from south to north. Then we hiked a couple more miles to the shelter. The moss and huge trees were really amazing, and we saw lots of elk tracks. The mystery deepens... huh.gif

Brockton

Brockton
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 pm 
evergreen199 wrote:
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot wrote:
Birds nest fungus! Raindrops splash the spores out of the cups to disperse them. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/birdsnests.html
When you zoom in to the photo, you see little lentil or lozenge-shaped particles. If I'm remembering right from a college mycology class, those are the spore-filled "eggs" that get dispersed by drop of rainwater splashing them out of the cup. You can see a few stuck to the sides outside the cups also.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 pm 
Hesman, we came upon the ford several miles up from the campground, also none of the other things you mention sound familiar, that is; there was no ranger station where we camped, there were no old barns or homesteads, never saw Sams River... The shelter were we stayed was about about 4 1/2 miles up from where we parked, and we were expecting it to be there, according to a map, but we were completely caught off guard by the river crossing, so I wonder if we accidentally took an old route that wasn't used much anymore. The drunks in the shelter came up the same way we did. Update:I just found an old map that shows the road we went up. It runs parallel to the Bogachiel on its south side, and is called S.Bogachiel Rd. There is a spot maybe 2 1/2 miles up where it comes very close to the trail on the other side, so this is probably where we crossed. I remember that the first part of the trail appeared to be on an overgrown road bed. So, basically, we took the wrong road. agree.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 11:00 pm 
How interesting! No, we didn't stay at the State Park, which is north of the S. Bogachiel Rd., which appears turn into a trail that heads down towards Hell Roaring Creek and connects to the Hoh, in addition to being an old boat launch on the Bogachiel, which is where we crossed and picked up the official trail. Now my interest is piqued and I may have to pay bobbi a visit this spring to see if that crossing is still accessible..

onemoremile

onemoremile
PostFri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm 
Some of those houses on Undi Rd have been there since 1940, and the beginning of the trail (the mile in the NF) was a road at one time. Used to be homesteads on that beginning stretch. Maybe it just was just accepted to go in from the south and ford? For the Queets you used to drive in along the north side with no ford, little parking lot there until the 80's. Then they started making the access from the south and a ford required.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 1:59 pm 
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot - excellent report. Nice to see captured the stark mid-winter white of the alders along the river. -- There seems to be some confusion in the exchange above. The Queets River Road has always been on the south bank of the river. There was never a road on the north bank. The road was 13.2 miles in length up until about 2008 when they re-routed traffic through the "back door" road via the #21 (West Boundary) road. In the 1930s and 1940s the Queets River road was about 100 yards longer than it is today. As long as I can remember, the Undi road was the approach to the Bogachiel, and there was no ford required to get there - that's why my late (oldest) brother preferred the Bogachiel over the Queets, as his old knees couldn't deal with the ford or the continual ups and downs of the first couple miles of the Queets trail - the trail on the Bogachiel is pretty much flat for the first few miles.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 pm 
Her descriptions really don't match either. Bogachiel was always approached from Undi road, which is on the north bank of the river. Road ends, you walk about 1.5 miles through NFS land, then enter NPS land where it becomes somewhat more heavily wooded. Used to be some sort of structure up the trail a bit, but I believe it was gone before I ever went up there in the mid-1990s. Shouldn't have been any ford necessary to access the Bogachiel Trail. Queets River Road was always on the south bank. There was never a road on the north bank of the Queets. Ford was at the end of the road, 13.2 miles from Hwy 101 via the old route, just a bit farther from Hwy 101 via the #21 (West Boundary) road. Queets Ranger Station is approximately 1-1/4 mile west of the end of the road. There is a small campground at the end of the road. First "structure" would have been the Andrews Barn about 1.5 miles up the trail, which was (as near as Jacilee Wray and I were able to ascertain) flattened by a trail crew at some point between 1988-1990, so any remains of it would not have been visible unless you waded into that patch of Himalaya blackberry. Next structure up the trail was Spruce Bottom Shelter (5.0 miles), which was burned in 1970 (?), so its remains haven't been visible for over 40 years. Next structure would have been the remains of Smith Place, 6.0 miles from trailhead located on south bank of river, last set of photographs from 2016 shows it in a completely collapsed state - flat on the ground.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am 
There was some kind of road--glorified trail (maybe road is too nice a term) there that was re-hatched during the start of WW2. The aircraft observers would go up that road to about Andrews and then take the trail up to Kloochman. Then they weren't trapped during the times when they couldn't ford. Only thing you can really find now is an overgrown alder path that meets up at the ford.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:08 pm 
^ The first 1.5 miles of the trail (from the end of the Queets River Road to Andrews Field) were originally a road. They drove across the river at the confluence of the Sams and the Queets and then drove up to Andrews Field (formerly known as "Andrews Lower Field".) I've noted it in another thread here somewhere.... HERE - down toward the bottom of the post - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=231973#231973

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 pm 
Sorry guys, it was definitely the Bogachiel. I double-checked with my hiking partner who did the driving. Neither one of us has ever been as far south as the Queets, but I would like to go there some day. smile.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:29 pm 
OK, did a little digging and I may have sorted out a bit of this controversey. It looks like the Bogachiel River Trail has alway been on the north side of the River. But there appears in these old maps that there was also a trail that went up, kinda semi-parallel to HWY 101 that connects with the Bogachiel and crosses at two different places. Click on the first map labeled NW: North Snider-Jackson, Bogachiel, Hoh and look along the Hell-Roaring Cr. This was the 1933 maps and since I am not sure when Nancyann took her trip, I cannot say with any certainty that this is in fact her route to the Bogachiel. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:56 pm 
Thanks Rumi! Your information corroborates with my post at the top of this page. I have an old map which shows this old trail as well. We did that trip in 1971. biggrin.gif Hesman and Ski, were you thinking my friend and I might be having "MEMORY ISSUES" huh.gif . fencing.gif At any rate, it's been fun discussing this with you, as it reminded my friend and I of all the crazy adventures we used to have back in the day! smile.gif up.gif

onemoremile

onemoremile
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
Didn't mean to sidetrack, but curious. It really is amazing how many trails out here barely exist. I have found tons that were built by the CCC during the 30's or packers that have been mostly absorbed back into the woods.