Forum Index > Trail Talk > Guide Books
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostWed Apr 30, 2008 11:58 pm 
Hi Folks, Looking to replace my well worn 50 Hikes in MRNP from 1969. Which book do you like best, the latest 50 hikes from The Mountaineers or the latest Falcon Guide, or ? Also looking at maybe updating my Olympic Mountains Trail Guide (Robert L. Wood) 1984 third printing.. Anything really new in the later edition? Thanks, RW

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostThu May 01, 2008 7:31 pm 
Olympic Mountains Trail Guide by Robert L. Wood
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
IMO, buying a later edition of Wood's trail book isn't worth it. Certainly the claim on the cover, "All road and trail information fully updated," is a stretch.
Thanks, my thinking also.
Quote:
I wonder what Mr. Wood would think if he hiked the Olys today with all the road closures, trail washouts, permit, fee and bear canister requirements and trails that have faded into oblivion.
I wonder, having only known Mr. Woods through his writings I am thinking he would not mind the road closures at all, would be concerned about the trail washouts, appalled at the thought of paying per day to backpack, not over worried of the bear canister requirements and concerned with trails fading into oblivion as he hoped his guide would get backpackers beyond the well known over used trails and onto the more obscure paths.

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
Lono

Lono
PostFri May 02, 2008 10:13 am 
The man sure had a mind and memory for detail, I love Woods' guidebook. I met Robert a time or two, and still regret never getting out for a hike with him (assuming I could keep up). RIP

Buttercup
Buttercup

Buttercup
Buttercup
PostFri May 02, 2008 10:47 am 
I love the Woods trail guide. The updated version is authored by someone with the last name Woods, but is actually unrelated. I have the new Mountaineers Day Hike guide to Mount Rainier, but of course have not tried it out yet, seeing as it just came out. I certainly won't ever be getting rid of my most recent edition of the Spring / Manning guide to Mount Rainier, and you might try for a used version of that one. The new day hikes guide is just that -- day hikes.

wehoke1146

wehoke1146
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm 
Update on Olympic Mountains Trail Guide as of February 2107: Trail checking for a Fourth edition of OMTG is underway and volunteer trail checkers are needed and welcome. The new edition will be published by Mountaineer Books. To date, members of the Peninsula Wilderness Club have checked 80 of the approximately 200 trails to be represented in this next edition. I am editing the book and we all all pledged to preserve as much of Bob's voice as we and still make the necessary changes. The new edition will have new maps and new photographs. PWC has developed a very easy system to provide input. But PLEASE be sure you are making corrections and updates from OMTG III -- Third edition. Contact me or Doug Savage at Peninsula Wilderness Club for details.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm 
I love Woods Olympic mountains trail guide (I've read it cover to cover a couple times over), didn't know he'd written one for Rainier. Next to Manning he's my favorite guide book author.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/