Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for backpacking late May early June
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 1:40 am 
brianle wrote:
Quote:
"Normally the entire Pasayten area is good that time of year, but it essentially 100% burned and officially not allowing people in so... "
Puzzled by this comment ---
Yea sorry mental slip meant entiat

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSun Feb 19, 2017 10:46 am 
I hate trying to find that "first backpack" of the year! So ready to get out there, with so few options! But if you are okay with something fairly tame, here's a link to the trip I did last year. Sorry, it's a lot of story with not a whole lot of specific hiking info, but you can skim. wink.gif http://kellbell-whywouldanyonereadthis.blogspot.com/2016/04/first-backpack-of-2016-baker-lake-north.html Also, the East Bank trail is really nice, with options to make it more extreme if you wanted. I did it mid-June, but I think it'd be good in May too. http://kellbell-whywouldanyonereadthis.blogspot.com/2013/06/east-bank-trail-ross-lake-part-one.html

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 am 
With this much snow, youre going to have to stay low until July. Unless of course youre a snowshoe hare. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
drm

drm
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am 
Another thing about late Spring trips, especially for, say, Memorial Day weekend, when if the weather is decent, almost everybody is trying to cram into the few snow-free locations. I have learned my region well enough that I know of spots that I get to by traveling over snow, but that are melted out so I don't have to camp on snow. I use either snowshoes or touring skis to get there, depending on conditions. But since few people are either willing to travel over snow, or know where these places are, I always have them to myself or whoever I bring along. Most of these places are extremely crowded in mid-summer, and some are accessed by road, so it's nice to get a chance to camp there before the crowds. Good locations might be an open north side (south-facing) of a lake or large river. If you get the timing right not only do you have a melted-out camp, but beautiful blue water. On one such trip in Indian Heaven I took two friends and after a few miles, we were snowshoeing on 3-foot deep snow, navigating by GPS, and had given up on finding a melted spot - always a possibility with this strategy. Then we got to the spot I had aimed for, and there was a round melted out spot about 20 feet across. The lake was only slightly melted, maybe 10%, but the group was thrilled. Just be sure to bring sunscreen if you do this.