Forum Index > Support & Feedback > What's the difference now when I select a thread?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 am 
In the past when I selected a thread to view, the selection took me to page one post one. Now, when I select a thread it takes me to the last page and the last post on the page. Well, I dont want to go to the last page. I want to go to the first page and begin reading the thread from the begging. Ideas?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 am 
I've been confused by this too. When I wanted to go to somewhere other than the beginning, I clicked on the appropriate page number.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am 
It always takes me to the first page, unless I've viewed the post. Then it takes me to the last post I looked at in the thread.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:30 pm 
Interesting When I click on a multiple page thread it takes me to page 1

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 pm 
Magellan has it mostly right. If there are new posts you haven't read (meaning you see this icon ) clicking on the topic title will take you to the first unread post. Otherwise clicking on the topic title will take you to the first post. It used to be that you needed to click on that small icon if you wanted to jump to the first unread post. But it was hard to click on, many folks never realized that's what it was for, and more often than not you probably just want to jump to the first unread post anyway, so I changed things to make it easier. See here for more info: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8022852 If you want to go to page 1, just click on page 1 (instead of the topic title when you see this icon )

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 pm 
Thanks for the clarification Thomas. I wasnt complaining about it. Just curious.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 pm 
I am still having a heck of a time with this. I want to go to the last post in the thread. How do I get there without having to scroll through all of the posts in the thread, or having to scroll through all of the posts on the last page of the thread? I clicked the option in the "profile" for "mark all forums read". What am I doing wrong?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 4:05 pm 
To go to the last post, just click on the time stamp link for the last post in the "last post' column. I suspect you want to go to the last post because you're trying to skip to the first unread post, but doing it the hard way. The easy way to skip to the first unread post is to simply click on the orange icon (or topic title when there are unread posts) which will take you to the first unread post. By changing the option in your profile to automatically mark everything read at the end of each visit you are only crippling your bookmarks. Would you want your email provider to automatically mark all your emails read if you didn't read them all in 1 visit? If not, why why would you want NWH to do that?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:58 pm 
okay.. set that option in the profile back to "no", which is where it's always been, apparently. still a bit confused, but we'll see how it works now. not sure which "orange icon" you're talking about. there is an "orange icon" immediately to the left of the topic title, and there is an "orange icon" immediately to the right of the time entry for the last post. clicking the topic title is taking me to the first post of the thread, not to the "last post read".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:31 pm 
Both orange icons do the same thing. Clicking on them should take you to the first unead post. If clicking on a topic title takes you to the first post you are probably viewing a topic without an orange icon.