Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for Zion/Bryce/Capitol Reef in March
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSun Feb 19, 2017 10:56 am 
My husband and I are celebrating our 30th in the great state of Utah!! We'll be renting a camper van, so I think we will just do day hikes, though we could bring our backpacking stuff if there was a "MUST" do. Wondering if any of you have done "The Subway". We did The Narrows 10 years ago, same time of year (end of March) and it was amazing. Hoping and praying for the same great weather! But we haven't been to the other parks, and I know there are tons of other areas that are just as good in the area. So hard to decide! All advice is much appreciated. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 19, 2017 2:59 pm 
Kellbell wrote:
Wondering if any of you have done "The Subway".
Tazz & Karen² (2007) plain old dan (2008) Tom (2009) Galiwalker (2010) doublemom (2013) mtn.climber (2014) Was one of my favorites when we visited Zion. You can probably get lots of other ideas for your trip reviewing the various SW reports. Congrats on your 30th!

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 pm 
Wow, thanks Tom! I guess I could have done a search for that info wink.gif but I do appreciate you putting that together for me. biggrin.gif

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm 
We did The Subway in May from the bottom up to the tunnel then back out, which avoided the technical canyoneering upper canyon. It was an awesome hike and I'd highly recommend it. You do need to get a permit for it. We rented some neoprene canyoneering shoes which were great because a good portion of the hike is spent walking directly in the creek. Of course if you have canyoneering skills, you should totally do it from top to bottom. biggrin.gif

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 am 
I really enjoyed Capitol Reef - a quieter vibe than places like Zion, Arches, and Bryce (which are also quite worth visiting!). For dayhikes, I'd suggest Navajo Knob for a more or less full day hike. Cohab Canyon is a really sweet shorter hike though it can be combined with a few other trails to make for a few longer options, perhaps with a hitchhike shuttle to make it a traverse), and Capitol Gorge (if the road is open) is also cool - could combine with Cohab in one day for some variety of canyon types. Cassidy Arch was also a nice short-ish hike. They give good suggestions at the visitor center. There are some slot canyons that I've heard are nice too, but that may involve swimming... If you don't arrive in time to snag a campsite in the Fruita campground, there are multiple places to camp on either side of the park boundaries on BLM land. If you don't care about restrooms you might even prefer these options. You have to travel a bit further from Zion/Springdale for dispersed camping options.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:30 am 
Bryce is good for day hikes and car campgrounds which are seldom filled. Zion is beautiful but a crowd zone. Camping at Fruitia is great if you can snag a space. It still has some nice hikes which are not overcrowded. Even the crowded ones like Cassidy arch and Grand wash are wonderful and have lots of side hikes which are rewarding.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 am 
The last time I was there (Zion Bryce) I took my mom and we did some day hikes. I really like dropping into Bryce and hiking around the valley. The climb OUT was interesting, but the experience was great.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 am 
I've hiked the subway twice, and it is a difficult hike due to the terrain, rough trail, numerous creek crossings, and steep climb out at the end. In addition, there is the possibility that it could be icy in March. It is very slippery inside subway, and if it icy, even more so. Also, keep in mind the numerous creek crossings. The water will be cold. On the plus side, it should be less crowded at that time, and you should not have any problem getting a permit. Edit: I just read Galiwalker's subway trip report. I guess he knows even better than me about how slippery it is inside the subway.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm 
lanzscape wrote:
I just read Galiwalker's subway trip report. I guess he knows even better than me about how slippery it is inside the subway.
Don't remind me! I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that wasted opportunity; that place is stunning and a photographer's dream. I need to get back in there for some better photos.
Kellbell wrote:
We did The Narrows 10 years ago, same time of year (end of March) and it was amazing. ... All advice is much appreciated.
You said you did the Narrows in late March, so you already know this, but let me say this anyway: that water is going to be freezing cold. I used the open rubber water shoes I used to carry in those days for stream crossings - I now use fully enclosed water shoes - and found them woefully inadequate. Even on a sunny day my feet were frozen. I would highly recommend renting the neoprene booties and water shoes that Tom used in his trip.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 2:11 pm 
I don't remember it being that hard. Then again, I say that about every hike now. embarassedlaugh.gif It was a hot day in mid May. The climb up out of the valley to get back to the car was pretty brutal in the heat.

lanzscape

lanzscape
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm 
Hard for a flatlander from Ohio, I guess. Plus I was carrying 30 lbs of (mostly) camera gear. It is an amazing place, but way too crowded inside the subway at peak times. The falls just below the subway is gorgeous in fall.