Forum Index > Trail Talk > Some info on Mt Adams Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike please
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jack65

jack65
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm 
My wife & I plan to do the Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike this mid-August. Day trip only. Hope the blooms are still going then. We would like info like how hard this hike is and how far up the trail do I start seeing wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake etc. If there is another day trip hikes in area that will give me the views I'm after (wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake) that is easier or shorter than the Divide Camp trail, let me know as well. Keep in mind I had hip replacement 3 years ago and I'm 64, so I don't move as fast or as well as I use to so time is running out for me on these type of hikes. Last August, I did the local Takh Takh Meadows Trail, Chain of Lakes trail and hiked around Takhlakh Lake without problems, but those didn't require much climbing. I will be packing my Nikon D500 with the Nikkor 200-500mm & 18-105mm lens too. So I'm wondering what I'm getting into. My wife is in great shape and younger. I'm currently doing conditioning and weight training for strength & endurance at the local fitness center and have six months to get ready. This is the Divide Camp Trail #112
Here is my Mt Adams & Takhlakh Lake story from last year... lots of pics: http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAdams-TakhlakhLake.htm A few pics: (whole bunch more on website with story)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yorknl

yorknl
PostWed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 pm 
I hiked this trail to the PCT as part of a backpack in 2014 or so. My memory (confirmed by my 'Day Hiking Mount Adams and Goat Rocks' guidebook) is that it's about 3 miles to the junction with the PCT, and roughly 2 or 2.25 miles to a big open meadow that has the flowers and a lovely view of Adams. Per the book it's 1400' gain to the PCT; if I recall, pretty much the entire trial was a steady, moderate climb. I'm sure there were a few steep sections but nothing horrific comes to mind. I'd guess that getting to the meadows requires maybe 900-1000' of elevation gain. The meadow was a worthwhile destination for a dayhike, and that's where a sidetrail (third of a mile or so long) shoots south to Divide Camp itself. This was not a terribly worthwhile destination - it didn't strike me as a particularly nice place to camp and had nothing remarkable beyond an oozy, squishy spring. I don't recall any views of lakes, ponds, Rainier, or St. Helens along the 112 trail, though if you can get up to the PCT and head north you almost immediately cross Adams Creek through a wide-open rock jumble. There might have been views from there but I don't have a clear memory of any, though the farther you go north there more open it gets. The only other trail I've done in that area is Killen Creek, up to High Camp. Overall I think that's a more attractive trail, with more meadows and views. But, it's steeper in spots and I think it's a little bit longer to get up the meadows. Going the additional mile, mile and a half from the meadows across the PCT and up to High Camp gets one to a stunning view of Adams, but that's more of a 2000' climb and 4 miles or so each way and definitely not easier; the last quarter mile or so of that is on a rockpile that while safe isn't the simplest thing in the world. Nope, I lied - just remembered that I've also done the Muddy Meadows trail to Foggy Flat as well. That trail starts in open meadow with views and you could do a very easy wander through the first half mile or so before there's any elevation gain at all. (Both the Killen Creek and Muddy Meadows trails start off of the 2329 road within a few miles beyond the Divide Camp trailhead.) Cheers-

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:20 pm 
There have been so many fires around Mt Adams recently you might want to make sure that the area around 112 has not burned. Seems like every August these days a major fire is going. Exploring a regenerating area can be an interesting experience, but it might not be the one your looking for.

jack65

jack65
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm 
@Adohrn No fires last year and hopefully none this year... as it would be a bummer as it take me 6 hours to get up here from Tacoma. Last year all the roads from the north via Tacoma/Elbe/Morton/Randle/NF-23 were closed, had to come in from Woodland/90/23. @yorknl Looks like I have to get quite high, past 3 miles with some serious climbing the last mile to see the other mountains and Takhlakh Lake. Not sure I will be in good enough shape for that with my hip, knee, age even though I'm fitness training in the gym? I guess I could try some of the Mt Rainier trails beforehand to see how I do? I have over 5 months to get ready. Killen Creek, up to High Camp sounds good, but I'm reading that is a much steeper climb? Muddy Meadows trail is a lot longer before you get high enough for views. The view you get at the beginning isn't any better than this one off the NF2329 road:

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 3:16 pm 
I am thinking that an attempt will be made to repair the 23 road this year.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kite

kite
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm 
kite

kite
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 5:00 pm 
hit the return key too soon So the trial is a wide mostly smooth with a few steep / rough spots, about 1700 feet of elevation gain up to the PCT junction. https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=http://www.pacificfog.net/tracks/12-09-01-Burnt-Rock.gpx&t=t2 It would make a good day hike up to the junction, with a bit of wandering around the lava flows to check out the flowers

jack65

jack65
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 am 
@kite Some great photos there... makes me want to do that hike big time. How far up that trail before you see the wildflowers and Mt Rainier / Mt St Helens?

drm

drm
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 am 
jack65 wrote:
Muddy Meadows trail is a lot longer before you get high enough for views.
Not true, just the opposite. You actually don't have to hike at all, great views from the trailhead area. I posted more details on your post on oregonhikers.org. Question is whether road will get fixed so you can driver there from Taklakh.

kite

kite
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am 
jack65 wrote:
@kite Some great photos there... makes me want to do that hike big time. How far up that trail before you see the wildflowers and Mt Rainier / Mt St Helens?
As I remember the first real big clearings with flowers were about 2/3 the way up

jack65

jack65
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm 
drm wrote:
jack65 wrote:
Muddy Meadows trail is a lot longer before you get high enough for views.
Not true, just the opposite. You actually don't have to hike at all, great views from the trailhead area. I posted more details on your post on oregonhikers.org. Question is whether road will get fixed so you can driver there from Taklakh.
I seen that, but you won't see the flowers or Mt Rainer & Mt St Helens until you get much higher in mid-August, correct? Is the view from that meadow better than this one below. This was just off the Takh Takh Meadows Trail & the NF-2329 that pretty much follows the trail.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:59 pm 
kite wrote:
Photos... of trail 112 from 2012
Nice catch on the marten!

drm

drm
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 am 
The timing of best flowers varies but typically by mid-August you need to get up near the PCT. The views of Adams from Muddy Meadows are as good or better than Taklakh, except of course no reflection. Muddy Meadows is much larger than Taklakh Meadow. Here is a photo from a mid-Sept trip, taken within a few hundred yards of the car. But again, I'm not sure that the road will be open/fixed from Taklakh.

yorknl

yorknl
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 am 
Assuming that the question about the 2329 road's usability is related to the washout just north of the Killen Creek campground, it was passable last August (maybe early September) via my 4-Runner. It looked as though somebody had moved a few boulders out of the way along the east (uphill) side of the roadway and although I had to drive it at enough of a tilt that my water jug slid across the interior, that side was possible to traverse. West side looked like a creek bottom - nothing but rocks. No thanks. I wouldn't try it in a lower-clearance vehicle or with a driver or passenger who's not comfortable with a decent dose of challenge. And for all I know, without repairs conditions this year may make it truly impossible. Your tilted mileage may vary.

christensent

christensent
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 5:30 pm 
Last July 4th weekend I went up there for an Adams climb, the mosquitos on that trail were absolutely spectacular. Probably the worst I've ever experienced. Even 30 seconds to get water out of my pack was unacceptable, just keep moving at a brisk pace and don't even think about stopping. Bring tons of bug repellent! When I had to stop to put on mountaineering boots at snow line, I think I got at least a dozen bites and I've never changed my shoes faster in my life. But it's really a beautiful area, highly recommended.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat