Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ross Lake Winter Paddling & Camping, Jan 27-28, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 7:12 pm 
The philosopher known as Brushbuffalo once said to me: "whatever season it is is my favorite season." Winter is my favorite season. This sentiment owes a lot to the fact that almost nobody goes to places I really like in Winter. Ross lake is one of those places. I am pretty sure that I was the only human north of the Ross resort on Friday and Saturday, and that is way cool. All that lake to myself. Bwahahaha all ye fair weather captives of convention! Mine, all mine! I got my usual late start on Friday and figured I'd be doing the last bit of paddling by headlamp, but that's another thing I've come to like a lot. So, bonus! The trail from the Ross parking area to the haul road was stomped out nicely by snowshoe prints, and the surface was firm and pretty easy going. The haul road itself was treacherous with ice, and I went down hard at one point, but with no significant damage to anything. Should have been wearing the microspikes, but we old invincibles sometimes just decide to urinate in the general direction of good sense. In any event, after spending an unusual amount of time in dick-around mode getting into my new paddling suit and rigging the raft etc., I managed to put in at the upper portage and commence paddling on some of the smoothest water I've every encountered on the big lake. Awesome! About that new paddling suit: why is that latex gasket-sphincter-boa constrictor thing that keeps the water from pouring down your neck should you go in the drink so damed tight? I mean really, really tight. Oh yeah, it's because the water was 38 F according to my handy Fish Pond thermometer, and 38F water will incapacitate you speedy fast if not kept at bay. But so tight that strangulation might do in a guy before hypothermia? Jeeze, paddling suit designers, can't you figure out something a little less medieval? But try as it might, the neck sphincter did not kill me, and the 4.5 miles of paddling to May creek was easy peasy on the glassy water. As predicted, the last mile or so was by headamp. I had a splendid night camped on a bare spot next to a patch of snow decorated with a line of impressive cougar prints, but they were probably at least a couple days old, so what, me worry? Nah. Lots of ice came crashing off the steep cliffs above May creek during the night; really impressive show, that. Otherwise, it was calm and pretty mild. Slept great on my old full size NeoAir; whoever designed that thing is surely genius enough to figure out the paddling suit neck sphincter problem.
Princess Bowling Ball
Princess Bowling Ball
Cougar island, glassy smooth paddling conditions
Cougar island, glassy smooth paddling conditions
The Princess Aclara
The Princess Aclara
Point 6532 on the Mt. Prophet divide (I think)
Point 6532 on the Mt. Prophet divide (I think)

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 pm 
KarlK wrote:
I had a splendid night camped on a bare spot next to a patch of snow decorated with a line of impressive cougar prints, but
Maybe your new boa constrictor suit doubles as cougar protection. rolleyes.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:18 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Maybe your new boa constrictor suit doubles as cougar protection. rolleyes.gif
It sure would if the cougar was daffy enough to don the thing. Urk!

Karl J Kaiyala
Wilder
Paddle Everything

Wilder
Paddle Everything
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:12 am 
Thanks for the trip report! My nephew and I are heading up there this weekend for two nights via paddleboard. Hoping for more snow! We're making it a little harder on ourselves by crossing Diablo and hiking up Ross Dam. I was just saying how few info there is on the interwebs for winter time at Ross lake but thought I'd search nwhikers one more time haha. Thanks! Also, you can usually trim the latex on the neck gasket if its strangling you and your heads turning purple, but tight is better than too loose!

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am 
Wilder wrote:
you can usually trim the latex on the neck gasket if its strangling you and your heads turning purple
Ideally, try stretching it first, over something like a Tupperware bowl. Leave it for a few days, and try it on again. It should still feel tight, but less so. If that fails, you can trim. But trim marginally, and with caution. Any nicks in the cut can lead to quick and catastrophic failure. Also, the gasket will continue to relax with wear, so a trim to the point of comfort usually results in a leaky gasket in the not to distant future.

KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 6:24 pm 
Thanks for the info on improving the gasket situation. I did stretch the thing using a pot as a form, and that's made it more tolerable.

Karl J Kaiyala
jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm 
Very cool! In another month or so you'll be able to hear the loons (my favorite memory from a spring overnight on the north end of Ross Lake).

KarlK

KarlK
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 10:04 am 
Wilder wrote:
heading up there this weekend for two nights via paddleboard
That sounds really interesting. I hope you'll post a trip report.

Karl J Kaiyala
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 pm 
Good job getting out paddling in winter, KarlK! I have enjoyed many wonderful days kayaking on Ross Lake. Early October is my favorite time to go. Super quiet, flame red vine maples down by the water, and not too cold. Re: gaskets. Just as Johnny Quest explained, the gasket that came with the suit will relax over time. However, when it ultimately fails on you (I typically get 100 river days out of a neck gasket, plus or minus 10 days) try replacing it with a slightly larger gasket. Kokatat only makes two sizes of gaskets for all of their men's and women's drysuits, but other brands (like Universal gaskets) offer five sizes so you can get a size that actually fits your neck. The Kayak Academy outside of Renton is the place to go. Drop into the shop to try on different gaskets, then have them install it for you or DIY.

KarlK

KarlK
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:51 pm 
fairweather friend wrote:
but other brands (like Universal gaskets) offer five sizes so you can get a size that actually fits your neck. The Kayak Academy outside of Renton is the place to go. Drop into the shop to try on different gaskets, then have them install it for you or DIY.
Thanks Fairweather Friend! I'll do that.

Karl J Kaiyala