Forum Index > Gear Talk > Chains for subarus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostTue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 am 
Where it's safe I use my jack to increase tire to fender clearance when putting on chains. It's MUCH easier. I use wood blocks to chock the tires and a '1x'1 square plywood for solid base for jack. Safety first. I use chain-chains (gently used $35 on CL)on my Civic since I've seen too many cables break and mess up fenders or get wrapped around axles. I use extra heavy duty bunji's to keep the chains snug as they're supposed to be.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Feb 11, 2014 11:56 pm 
Go to Goodwill and pick up chains/cable for less than $10. I see unused chains all the time. No excuse not having proper chains/cables when the road conditions warrant. There's plenty of clearance for chains on a Subie. No doubt the legal people said it messes up steering or some kind of issue or someone didn't install them right and caused damage to the vehicle. Chains give you such an advantage with traction and stopping that it blows me away when people refuse to install them in difficult icy conditions. Remember AWD/4WD does nothing if have to stop.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Dec 05, 2014 12:21 pm 
*bump*

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 1:58 pm 
Has anybody driving a Subaru in Washington State EVER been asked to even show/produce their chains or traction devices. Has anybody driving a Subaru in Washington State EVER been told they had to put their chains on? If so in either case did you have them/comply, get fined, turn around? Or what?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Has anybody driving a Subaru in Washington State EVER been asked to even show/produce their chains or traction devices.
I was at the Longmire Gate in Mt Rainier NP during December under "chains required all vehicles except AWD/4WD" conditions and the LE Ranger was making everyone show their chains before letting them through the gate. I was in a AWD Honda CRV, the two vehicles in front of me were Suby's and they had to show their chains as well. I saw one 2WD vehicle get turned away (to the visitor center where chains may be rented)

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 3:08 pm 
Randy's experience at Mt. Rainier happens with some regularity. Several years ago there was a trooper roadblock on HWY 2 some miles west of Steven Pass during a chains required situation. All AWD/4WD vehicles not carrying chains were being turned around. FWD/2WD had to put them on. I would only put chains on my Suby if there was no other option to get myself unstuck or go a couple miles at most. Note there are sections of highway where you are required to carry chains from Nov. 1 - Apr. 1. If you're going to drive Washington roads in the winter, get a set of chains that fit and be done with it.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 pm 
I had a stroke of luck. My never used Z-cables from my Element fit my Subaru, which I confirmed and practiced in the comfort of my garage. I noticed the main complaint with chains/cables bought on Amazon, other than cheap ones falling apart, was that they didn't fit, even though the manufacturer's spec sheet said they would. Definitely try on any that you buy! So now I have something to point at. IF I was to actually use them, I should buy another set. If I was driving in a lot of really dicey winter conditions, I would buy a second set. Everything I have read seems to agree that a good way to screw up your Subie is to just put a single pair on, and then hit dry pavement. If I am putting cables on a Subie, there better not be any dry pavement in sight! As extra insurance, I invested in good Nokian WRG3 tires instead of an extra set. So, I have something to point at. I have something if I really get stuck. But I plan to use them as much as I have on any other 4WD/AWD car I have owned, which would be never. I am doing a trip to Bend Oregon soon. I hear their cops are more than enthusiastic about enforcing the letter of the law, especially on the back highways I will be driving. They have a "must carry traction devices, even on AWD" rule that is more all encompassing than WA, so now I don't have to worry. Of course the way this winter is going, I might not have anything more than damp roads to deal with anyway! Their pass cams do not look like ski areas at the moment.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 9:58 pm 
Looking at the lack of room on the inside suspension I don't think I'd ever put chains or even cables on. All it would take is a little slop and it might not be pretty. As another person said I'd have to really be in dire straights and even then if I was stuck I'd probably wait it out. I guess if I got turned around at a checkpoint, I'd just turn around. It's Rainier and Oly you have to potentially worry about since they have the blanket rule of carrying them.
Quote:
Most newer Subaru models just don't have the room for chains, as we have made the braking systems larger the wheel size has increased to allow for clearance, this also increased the size of the tire. The chains in some cases will clear the wheel well but could hit the strut assembly, which would cause the chain to then come loose this is exceptionally true in the rear. The brake line could be torn off, the abs sensor wiring could be torn out, the chain could hit the body of the car, the chain could do more damage than I can describe if it was to come loose or partially broken.
Yea maybe some work if installed perfectly but what if they start coming loose? No thanks... Maybe something like the socks but.... again would never actually use em. May as well just carry some any old chains in the back to get through the checkpoint. frown.gif Interesting that of all cars, Subaru's would not be built to normally take chains/traction devices... Granted probably hardly ever need, but.... to go anywhere...

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 12:07 am 
If you're getting to the point where a Subaru needs chains then you're getting to the point where you should have studded tires put on. I carry chains because it's required, but I don't use them (and haven't ever needed to).

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 12:27 am 
ditto.gif ditto.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mcline

mcline
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm 
Hi All, Thanks for the great tips. I was planning to buy some autosocks to "check the box". From what I've read, if I do use them, it would be okay to only put them on the front tires and keep it below 15MPH...with the caveat that this wouldn't be for fair and I'd probably be better off not driving in such conditions. Is this accurate? I rarely need them, so don't want to shell out for winter tires (heck I don't even know where I'd put them the rest of the time) Thanks! Mark

Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 9:14 pm 
Check out spike spiders. Have used them in the past for the wife's car. On or off in minutes. Pricey but well worth it. You need to order them from a car dealer. Hard to find.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 5:36 pm 
I wouldn't personally put chains on my Subaru. If I found myself in a situation with an AWD Subi (w/ Snow Tires in this case), where I needed chains, I think it would be bad news! Like, that would be really bad/off-road. Even without the tires -- I don't think Subaru recommends it. In the manual they actually nix chains (Spydrs could probably work though -- as mentioned).

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 pm 
I have a 1997 Toyota Rav-4 AWD it is a manual drive and in those early years for manual shift only, there was interlock button to press to get to 4 wheel drive. Not enough power to go through deep snow, but I could get quite a bit farther up the road then the Subies over at Winthrop. But there was this spring ski (Captain Point road) up windy ridge and had to go through a 30 ft patch of spring snow, untracked, still on the road, Long story short I only made it 15-20 ft through. Luckily I had the chains to put on and make it through. Great ski off of windy ridge though. That was when I also started to carry a shovel in the car. You never know when you might need chains and hopefully you will have them and they are also the right size.

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 4:54 pm 
I got VERY tired of putting cable chains on and off my Outback. Put them on to get out of the neighborhood, take them off on the (cleared) main roads, then put them on again near the foot of Mt Hood. I changed to NOKIAN WR G3 All-Weather (snowflake) tires. These DO meet the OREGON requirement for "traction devices" except in the very worst conditions. They are very effective, and the tread is reasonably long lasting rated at 55,000mi. About $150 per tire. https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/all-weather-tires/

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.