Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm 
Yeah, it's a bit early to see Rufous Hummers in WA, although I have seen them in February some years. On average, Anna's are bigger than Rufous, which are commonly described as "small and compact."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm 
I'm not sure what you mean by "robust", unless you mean feisty, because that they are! I'm not sure I've ever seen a yellowish Rufus, but they will be showing up very soon here (we typically see them in early March), perhaps an early bird?

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 pm 
Both species are curious and can be bold. IME male Anna's are the bolder. Yup, Rufous usually start showing up in Western WA in March.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:24 pm 
Ok It wasn't in my backyard..

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 pm 
First Rufous seen briefly yesterday, confirmed just now at the feeder. Used to be pretty consistent on March 15th, but this may be the new normal.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
reststep

reststep
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 5:04 pm 
Where did all the Steller's jays go? We used to see them all the time in our back yard but not any more.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm 
reststep wrote:
Where did all the Steller's jays go? We used to see them all the time in our back yard but not any more.
You can take ours we have too many.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:44 pm 
The Rufous hummingbirds finally showed up on 3/30/17. A little late this year, the Annas probably didn't mind. . . . . I put out an additional feeder last night, let the air show begin!

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:45 pm 
Violet-greens showed up a couple weeks ago. They've been going into the box on sunny days. Osprey pair were back on the cell tower a few days ago. Brown creepers and Hutton's vireos singing pretty regularly. White-crowns and Savannah sparrows also heard in the last few days.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 pm 
Orange-crowned warblers singing last couple of days. smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 8:31 am 
It's almost the time of year for my insane window banging robin. I have a sun room with hot tub adjacent to the master bedroom, with double glass door between. Every year about April thru June, I get this deal with a robin hopping up and flying into the sunroom window in the morning when the sun is low and on the window. I don't know if it's bugs, a sun reflection, or the birds own reflection, that danged bird will do it the entire time the sun is hitting the window. The first time I was kinda freaked out. I'm laying in bed and I hear thump, pause, thump, pause, thump pause from the sun room. I wake up the rest of the way and peek thru the dividing door, and there's the robin flinging itself from the rockery near the house into the window. Sometimes he slides down it, mostly it bounces off, goes back to the rockery, shakes itself, pause, then another go. This began about 5 years after I moved here and it's done it every year since. I have no ideas how long robins live or maybe I have a zombie bird returning to haunt me, I don't know. It's the weirdest thing. It's not spring until that robin wakes me up flinging itself into the window.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 9:40 am 
From what you describe, the bird is seeing its reflection and interpreted it as a rival male. Birds are very loyal to sites that they have successfully bred in, so it is certainly the same bird every year. The activity will typically continue through the breeding season. Only options to prevent it are blocking the light causing the reflection, or maybe tacking up something like mylar ribbons in front of window to break up the image he sees? Last two years I've had a Junco that spends his mornings in battle with my passenger side-view mirror until I leave for work. I suppose he thinks he's "won" every day after I leave?

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm 
Steve, we call them Cali Coppers at our place. They came about 3 weeks ago and raised hell with the others again. Now we have like 2 pair is all. Nature dizzy.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 am 
Having fun, my first spring migration since moving to Eburg. Say's Phoebe on the property yesterday. Lots of butterbutts (Yellow-rumped Warblers) in the neighborhood. Saw an Empidonax flycatcher yesterday while jogging in the nearby nature preserve, probably a Willow Flycatcher based on habitat, although I cannot be certain because I did not hear the voice.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 4:48 am 
Saw my 1st Great Frigate birds and Red Footed Boobies over Spring Break on Kauai. Both species great flyers! We stayed in off the beaten path Waimea, and there was a small wave break up the road from our motel where I could boogie board with no one in sight. The Frigate soared above me for a long time. I spoke to him of open oceans, lunch(poke for me; less marinated for him), and partners because he did not have one and I did. He never flapped a wing. The Boobies would tuck their wings like a MIG and dive....very cool. Tom