Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 pm 
Free State of Jones And ~80 years later, his great grandson was still fighting. . . http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-free-state-jones-180958111/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Arrival. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Easily the best traditional Scifi movie (by that I mean excluding stuff like Star Wars and all the Comic Book movies, etc) since Contact. Really interesting story, outstanding cinematography, and very engaging. Really, really looking forward to Villenueve's take on Blade Runner now.
Yep. One of the best movies I've seen in quite awhile. There are two kinds of science fiction movies I like. One kind is exemplified by Arrival, the other by District 9.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm 
Lego Batman movie up.gif up.gif up.gif In all honesty this is best Batman film in decades, but that's probably because it's as much a Lego movie as a Batman movie. Likeable characters, well written plot, very original, and very, very funny. It still amazes me that Lego movies can be so good!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:18 pm 
Oscars WTF?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:26 pm 
You're right. It was a cluster. Good grief. frown.gif ~z The L.A. Times has some good articles. Here's one. Here's another. Quote: The moment will go down as one of the strangest and most shocking in Oscar history.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:48 pm 
The Oscars always annoy me - I always disagree with 90% of the picks, most of the winners typically aren't films that I have any interest in seeing at all!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Oscars WTF?
They're MORONS! What's the question?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Toni

Toni
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am 
Lots of conspiracy theories flying around I'm sure. PWC might get a little 'zing' for this debacle but Moonlight won over La La Land and life goes on. Personally I think Warren and Faye should have handled this differently, esp. Warren when he first realized something was wrong...ok, life goes on.

There is no Planet B
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 12:43 pm 
Picks for best animated film & best visual effects were really weird. "Zootopia" was really good, but I would have thought that "Kubo and the Two Strings" would have won best animated due to how unique it was in just about every way possible! I also didn't find "The Jungle Book" to be anywhere near as visually impressive as "Doctor Strange" "Star Trek: Beyond" or "Fantastic Beasts".

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 6:23 pm 
While I haven't seen Zootopia yet, Kubo & The Two Strings was a firm "meh" movie for me. Laika typically has a pretty good track record; I loved both Coraline and Paranorman, and I hear The Box Trolls was good too. Kubo felt truncated and rather anticlimatic to me - almost like it was just a long episode on a TV show of some sort. It just didn't have the weight of their other movies. Everything I've heard about Zootopia was nothing but glowing, so I really can't fault the Academy for that pick.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 6:57 pm 
The only bad thing about Zootopia was that song by Shakira. I don't necessarily dislike Shakira but it was dreadful and had no real tie in to the movie.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:40 pm 
I gave up on the Oscars a long time ago. Critics ironically do better, albeit they are hit miss. Anyways - Hacksaw Ridge up.gif up.gif Great story about a pacifist getting involved in a really dangerous battle who ends up saving a lot of people. Held very strong to one's principles in the face of serious consequences. The battle scene was very gruesome/intense, pierced my 800mg of Ibuprofen due to how overwhelming it felt. A little slow at the start, but was very relevant to the theme of the film.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
While I haven't seen Zootopia yet, Kubo & The Two Strings was a firm "meh" movie for me. Laika typically has a pretty good track record; I loved both Coraline and Paranorman, and I hear The Box Trolls was good too. Kubo felt truncated and rather anticlimatic to me - almost like it was just a long episode on a TV show of some sort. It just didn't have the weight of their other movies. Everything I've heard about Zootopia was nothing but glowing, so I really can't fault the Academy for that pick.
Kubo was a very unusual story, I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I agree that it was a bit anticlimatic, but that seemed like the right way to do it IMHO. Zootopia is really good, don't get me wrong, I just think Kubo should have won because it seemed more original. It's possible I'm just biased in favor of anything Laika makes lol! Definitely watch The Box Trolls some time, it's definitely among their best films.

trestle

trestle
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 pm 
I wish someone would have slapped Warren Beatty right off the stage. What an ass. Zootopia had no business even being mentioned at the Oscars.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 am 
I'm not sure why you think he's an ass. He was given the wrong envelope, one that was was difficult to read due to the color changes this year, not to mention under bright lights. He is pushing 80 and obviously wasn't in the best of health. You could see that as he walked on stage. Zootopia was one of the better animated features to be released as of late. I'd say it was better than anything nominated this year or even the past 2 years. I'm curious why you don't think it warranted a nomination or win? My wife likes to wind down to animated features so I've seen them all at least a dozen times. clown.gif