Forum Index > Food & Grub > Are Cheerios poisoning you?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 9:07 pm 
Roundup may be "sprayed" on wheat when it is green and young to kill weeds, not to speed up ripening. Perhaps you could take a trip over to the wheat country during harvest and do some research. Waterville might be closest. They will be busy but maybe you could ask questions while trucks are being weighed and unloaded at a grain elevator. You may amuse them, who knows? An unusual bit of wheat trivia: My mom and dad told us that at one time, some wheat farmers scattered coal dust on top of the snow during big snow years to get the snow to melt quicker.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:02 am 
Here is a place to start your research. You can contact these people. Warshington Wheat Growers Yes, Cheerios are made from oats, but oats are sometimes rotated with wheat. Besides, I heard a talk show host say it was wheat farmers using Roundup to speed up the curing of the grain. Radio talk show hosts are always on the ball with accurate information, right? shakehead.gif You might also do a cost analysis. Determine the cost of applying Roundup to the cost benefit of early "ripening" and crunch some numbers. But......that would be kind of scientific and probably not as fun as spreading rumors. I am of Scandihoovian Cowboy Wheat Farmer ancestry and lived amongst a few of the evil wheat farmers. eek.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm 
I recently discovered that I'm allergic to wheat gluten. I never had any issue with it until the last couple of years - I ate whole wheat bread every day, drank plenty of ale, etc.. I never thought I had any problem with it. I was as surprised as my doctor when in an array of tests I had done, the gluten test was the only thing way out of range. I came across some articles that cited a huge spike in gluten intolerance that one researcher blamed on a compound formed from the reaction of Roundup and gluten, stating that Roundup was sprayed on crops just prior to harvesting. The research by this one person has been widely published, cited by all the healthy-living publications but there doesn't appear to be any supporting evidence of the claim and no other researchers have supported the theory. It could be true but it's one of those issues that more research is required. Getting off gluten has been a life changer for me - and the beer selection sucks.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:49 pm 
I can only figure that Roundup or another herbicide is used on the fallow fields to kill weeds. Herbicide use is part of the no till or little till method of farming that causes less erosion. Ya know, one area is planted one year, and then rested the next....so weeds have a good chance of growing.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 9:41 pm 
I liked the letter in my family from my Great-Grandfather to his then new bride about working wheat harvest. $1.50 a day, for driving a head wagon. A top right of sheet he wrote date and place. Year was 1887, Walla Walla, Washington Territory. No Roundup controversies. And farmer didn't use wheat strain developed by WSU, or even WSC.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 am 
Mine farmed around Creston and are in that cemetary, I guess. I should make a pilgrimage there to see Anybody done any research yet? Contacted a wheat farmer? eek.gif

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 3:39 pm 
...or an oat farmer? In today's world, the best way to be sure of what you are eating is do as Sarbar does...grow it yourself. Second best is buy from a farmer you trust, perhaps at a farmer's market. You wouldn't necessarily visit said farm, but you know you could if you wanted to. Third best is to buy from a source you trust to vet your food for you. PCC comes to mind. And Trader Joe's to a lesser extent. Fourth best...imo, there is no fourth best.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
...or an oat farmer? In today's world, the best way to be sure of what you are eating is do as Sarbar does...grow it yourself. Second best is buy from a farmer you trust, perhaps at a farmer's market. You wouldn't necessarily visit said farm, but you know you could if you wanted to. Third best is to buy from a source you trust to vet your food for you. PCC comes to mind. And Trader Joe's to a lesser extent. Fourth best...imo, there is no fourth best.
Unless you are doing all your own farming, it is tricky figuring out what suppliers to trust. Many suppliers make a game of marketing globally sourced food as local -- one example story http://narrative.ly/lessons-from-a-local-food-scam-artist/ Similarly with foods labeled as "Organic" whether the product is actually organic isn't certain http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/organic-food-fraud.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:43 am 
Just curious, how much land does it take to grow grain for a family's use?

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:09 am 
I grew up in the grain region of eastern Colorado and Kansas. After I left home my dad farmed wheat in Missouri, along with soybeans, etc. Grain yield would depend on a lot of variables....winter or spring wheat, hard red winter (think Great Plains) or durum variety (think NW - grown for semolina flour/pasta) and where grown. Probably in the range of 20 to 30+ bushels per acre - for dryland wheat - in an average year. A bushel is 60 lbs...but I think would make somewhat less flour than that.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:07 pm 
A few comments on this thread. The practice of using Round up close to harvest is very rarely done, at least according to this farmer: https://nuttygrass.com/2014/11/17/a-farmers-response-to-the-real-reason-wheat-is-toxic/ An overlooked issue I believe with wheat and flour products in general is enrichment, particularly iron. Here is a lengthy, well referenced discussion on the topic. If you read the whole thing I'm impressed. http://freetheanimal.com/2015/06/enrichment-theory-everything.html I agree with the sentiment that "organic" food as generally marketed is largely a farce. Check out the soll test results from this article. What Gabe Brown is doing is revolutionary and truly incredible IMO. http://www.grazeonline.com/canweregeneratesoils

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 pm 
In the news again. As if breathing foul air isn't enough. Oatmeal, breakfast foods contain unsafe amounts of weed killer According to the article. Quaker Oats is the worst.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 pm 
Without reading any studies, my guess would be that damn near every item in the produce section at my local Safeway has got some glysophate in it. The stuff is in everything. What I did find interesting, though, was that EWG (Environmental Working Group) founded in 1992 as a 501(C) non-profit, for the fiscal year 2015 raised nearly $13.7 million and spent $12.5 million, with the claim that 84% of every dollar goes toward "programs".
Wikipedia, on their page on EWG wrote:
As of March 2008, EWG reports 30 staff members with its president Ken Cook earning $289,022 in reportable income per year in 2015.
Looks like some pretty good salaries being paid there for a non-profit.
Wikipedia, regarding EWG's 'Dirty Dozen' list wrote:
Critics of the list have suggested that it significantly overstates the risk to consumers of the listed items, and that the methodology employed in constructing the list "lacks scientific credibility". The list continues to be criticized as scare tactics and a 2011 study showed that all of the items on the list have safe levels of chemical residue or none at all. A 2011 analysis of the USDA's PDP data by Steve Savage found that 99.33% of the detectable residues were below the EPA tolerance and fully 1/2 of the samples were more than 100 times below.
I accept the reality that Montsano and the other multi-national chemical manufacturers are slowly killing off the human race, but I try not to get my shorts all in a bunch about it. Not really a hell of a lot you can do about it unless you want to move off the grid and grow all your own food. I have the satisfaction of knowing that sooner or later, the progeny of all those fat cats sitting around the tables on their Boards of Directors will be born with flippers instead of arms and other horrible physical deformities.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
iron

iron
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 11:39 pm 
Ski wrote:
Not really a hell of a lot you can do about it unless you want to move off the grid and grow all your own food.
or move to europe where they value family, health, community, a social support systems.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 12:34 am 
Hannibal says....
Hannibal says....

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."