Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 2:25 pm 
Ski wrote:
Really? Come on.... you haven't read enough of my rants here about invasive species to have realized that was tongue-in-cheek?
Really? You expect readers to know your other rants? You think tongue-in-cheek conveys in a forum post, with no facial expression or tone of voice, with no more clues (i.e. none) than what you gave? Internet forums don't work like that. Try a wink.gif at minimum.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 3:59 pm 
I didn't think my comment was any more ridiculous than the idea that simply posting a few signs and designating an area a "no shooting zone" was going to make all the target shooters just magically disappear. Here's some emoticons for you: smile.gif redface.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif huh.gif clown.gif rolleyes.gif tongue.gif mad.gif eek.gif rant.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif down.gif waah.gif paranoid.gif lol.gif moon.gif doh.gif dizzy.gif shakehead.gif agree.gif confused.gif winksmile.gif suuure.gif bawl.gif hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif okay now? wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 4:16 pm 
If only things like this would "magically disappear."
While looking for a car camping spot..... 5510 rd north of Stampede Pass.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 4:56 pm 
Looks like the snow crushed it, sad that people leave this stuff

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 5:18 pm 
What a mess! I hope it wasn't the propane stove exploding that blew the side of that thing out. Must be too far off for the shooters - I don't see any bullet holes and the headlights are still intact! (Kind of odd that somebody removed the front grill assembly... wonder what they were after?) Gotta love it - another mess of crap for NFS to clean up and dispose of. dizzy.gif On the positive side: it will make great habitat for bats. Somebody left a great big trailer like that about 200 yards behind our cabin up on the Nisqually at it turned into bat heaven.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 5:34 pm 
On my way to a hike last weekend:
Outside of Darrington on 530. Would make a nice art studio or chicken coop?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 6:04 pm 
art studio - no. bad lighting. chicken coop - a possibility, but it would be hell to clean. sheep cote - possibly a more appropriate use (overhead storage for hay would come in handy.) does NFS know about these locations? that's going to cost some bucks to clean those two sites up.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 11:32 am 
Advertise them and sell them as "vintage project" trailers.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 1:40 pm 
snoqpass wrote:
Looks like the snow crushed it, sad that people leave this stuff
Yeah -- I'll guess someone was using it for a hunting trip and it wouldn't restart and then it started snowing...

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 5:36 pm 
Sorry, I didn't mean to drift off topic. So yesterday I went back to the TH with clean up gear. To do something on this foul weather weekend. On my way up I stopped at the place 'one would if headed to Scout Lake, an unofficial route to a "so so" lake seldom visited. I stopped out of curiosity, I asked the target shooters if it was legal to shoot there. They informed me that on the NFS website a "safety corridor" meant certain places might be ok to shoot at. I listened yet was under the understanding that the entire road was off limits to such activities. This area in particular concerns me because I once rounded a corner to be face to face with an archer aimed up the decommissioned road. Not exactly at me but in my approximate direction. Pretty scary. I left this couple with me needing to look into the NFS website when I'd get home. Further up, at the end of the road, at the official designated FS Hansen Creek or Ridge Trail Head, another pair of target shooters with the same "it's ok to shoot here, Safety Corridor" information that I wasn't familiar with. Me not knowing and not anyone but some person looking to pick up litter on a rainy Sunday, not much I could say. I did voice my concern about vandalism that I've seen on this road and all the litter left behind by target shooters. I just asked if they could leave the area cleaner than they found it. They seemed agreeable in regards to cleanliness and respecting the forest which was cool. I was going to leave them the heavy duty trash bags I bought before heading up but they weren't cheap, 10 bucks for 10. So I get home after a side trip and look at the FS website and I also looked at various gun enthusiast websites, articles on I90 target shooting. I can totally see their point of view, how there's nowhere to shoot. But I also have seen what some bad apples have left behind on this road, the Middle Fork and North Fork roads and it wasn't pretty. Lots of "it's not my mess so it's not my responsibility" going around. Funny I'm a non gun owner and I'm packing out shells and broken glass in my day pack. So you can see how folks feel about all of this. The gun websites were enlightening and I'm not on either side. I just hate seeing garbage in the woods. I found it ironic that the closer to the Hansen Trail Head the less of the No Shooting signs were on the posts specifically there for them. In minds eye out of sight/ out of mind, then it's be ok? Not really because closer to Tinkham there are signs all over the place. But this might be confusing to those "not from the area" of which I've heard that line a dozen times. Like they didn't know. The signs I saw yesterday that others somehow missed seeing:
phone pics 3 021
phone pics 3 021
phone pics 3 020
phone pics 3 020
phone pics 3 017
phone pics 3 017
And the ones removed from their posts:
phone pics 3 014
phone pics 3 014
phone pics 3 012
phone pics 3 012
I did see other users on the Hansen Creek area that would warrant a safe corridor. I stopped and talked with a female rock hound and saw a dad with is boy checking out the creek maybe car camping. No mountain bikers but I did see a rig with a bike rack at the TH. Also in another area mushroom hunters. So these areas are used for lots of activities. Be safe, get out and enjoy the forest regardless of the weather.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 5:59 pm 
Brucester wrote:
"I can totally see their point of view..."
Me too. Especially after lengthy phone conversations with Dave Workman and a staff member of the local NFS District Ranger office near that Hansen Creek site a couple years ago when I posted the notice here about the volunteer clean-up effort near Greenwater. I know it is illegal to discharge firearms from, on, or across any road, but I'm clueless when it comes to the regulations on bows.
Dave Workman, in a different thread unrelated to this topic wrote:
Some people are world class stupid and you can't fix that.
This will unfortunately always be the case: there will always be morons with guns out in the woods shooting television sets and refrigerators. Fortunately they are a very small minority, but they seem to make a hell of a mess in spite of their numbers. The only "solution" is to educate, educate, and educate, and then grit your teeth and clean up after them (as many of us do on trails or around lakes or at fire lookouts.) I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think it was an error in judgment to close the area and designate it a "no shooting zone" and not provide an area somewhere in King County for those guys to go. Greenwater is just too damn far away. (and again: I don't own any firearms. I gave all mine to a friend over 30 years ago - too noisy for me.)

MultiUser

MultiUser
PostWed Oct 12, 2016 12:29 pm 
Ski wrote:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think it was an error in judgment to close the area and designate it a "no shooting zone" and not provide an area somewhere in King County for those guys to go. Greenwater is just too damn far away.
Totally agree. It concentrates the activity, just like putting in a skatepark improves the rest of a downtown. Brucester, thanks for your work up there. up.gif

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:22 pm 
Brucester wrote:
On my way to a hike last weekend:
Outside of Darrington on 530. Would make a nice art studio or chicken coop?
Uhhhh, hate to rain on your parade, but this image and the others suggest to me that someone just "might" have had themselves a little meth lab out where nobody would bother them. Not making any accusations.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Chico

Chico
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 12:30 am 
Trailers and such in the woods - With somewhat of a grin I'd tell you to get State Parks on it. Why I say that is we began to report a trailer in worse shape than this parked beneath power lines at Nisqually State Park. Being under the power lines it was more a BPA responsibility. But State Parks was on the case. Went and took a look and somehow (not sure how) tracked down the owner who came and hauled it away. Pays to know the person in charge I guess.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 1:46 pm 
Ski wrote:
Fortunately they are a very small minority, but they seem to make a hell of a mess in spite of their numbers.
Ski, unfortunately they're a LARGE and GROWING minority and now believe they have political approval for all of their "target" practice. Btw, I own guns and love to shoot responsibly. The fines and penalties need to be radically enhanced for irresponsible shooting, up to and including felony charges.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode