Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin Oregon 600, 64*, or eTrex30x
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 pm 
mike wrote:
No point in paying an extra $50 for the pre-loaded 100k. I have the 100k that came with mine and consider it a waste of pesos. Just get the NW Topo from switchbacks instead of NW Trails. and you can get any map that you need at gpsfiledepot
The one advantage to the pre-loaded maps is you get terrain shading even on your own topo maps. So even if you never actually look at the pre-loaded map topo data-set, you get shading capabilities across all map sets. This cannot be enabled on other units even if you load your own topo maps, must be a pre-loaded device (at least that's what I heard last time I researched this). Whether this is worth $50 could be highly debated! More of a personal decision.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 pm 
A lot of us do not want shading. It is fine at home for planing but to me it is distracting on a small screen zoomed in.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 7:45 am 
The one argument for a Garmin in the future is they have bought Delorme communications. A fully integrated satellite tracker/ text message communication device with full Garmin GPS in a 6 or 8 ounce package is really an excellent backcountry device. The first model is out for $450 now. For long trails hikes this seems like an obvious choice. I would think the second generation of these devices might be a lot better integrated, as the first models were rushed out right after the acquisition of Delorme.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 am 
I have been testing out my garmin 64 brand new and went on a out and back yesterday only to find the track was up to 90 feet apart, it was in the chuckanuts so it had a lot of trees so I understand some drift but my other units have normally stayed within 30 feet or so. I have a case that covers the antenna I tried the trail with and without the case. Both glonass and gps were on along with waas. Is there a setting I'm missing? in the open it locks to within 9 feet, or is something wrong?