Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smithbrook and Slednecks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 pm 
so is smith brook road typically closed in the winter, then? This activity looks like it would f up the road even for snomos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm 
christensent wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im sorry, but a seasonal condition does NOT change the fact that its a road!
Yes it does. The actual road is buried under six feet of snow.
A typical forest road is not closed based on depth
I didn't say it was closed. I said it was buried. As in the condition of the road has indeed changed based on the season. It should be closed, in my opinion.
christensent wrote:
6 feet of snow, who cares. If a road is open, I can almost guarantee a wheeled vehicle has been to the end of the road this winter. It is not reasonable to assume a road is closed
Again, I never said it was closed. I merely hold the opinion that Smithbrook in particular should be closed to motorized vehicles in the winter months due to the high volume of foot traffic that it has. It's interesting that you advocate for slednecks when they probably dislike snow-wheelers more than skiers dislike slednecks.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm 
I can't imagine it's a very good place to start from with a snowmobile with the highway snowplows building a huge wall that's difficult enough to get up on foot. A road that's always been off limits to machine travel has been the Lake Kelcema road off the Mountain Loop. As I mentioned earlier, Smithbrook used to have the same status.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 10:50 pm 
I have only been on smithbrook a few times in the winter, and there were a lot of sleds both times...

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 am 
Hi Schroder, It is true the snowblower creates a 6 foot wall but the snowmobilers create a ramp through it early on and maintain it throughout the winter after the most recent passes by the blower.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:59 am 
Was snowmobiling actually prohibited at some point in the past, or was it just that people hadn't arrived at this ramp-building habit until recent years? I can imagine folks with shovels repeatedly undoing the ramp in something akin to the "stereo wars" I used to see happen in a college dormitory...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 pm 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
This post, to me, says bad. There are plenty of coyotes and assisting their hunting is a bad thing... actually, unless we are mitigating something we already f'ed up, assisting wildlife is, as a general rule, "bad".
I'm trying to be logical but not make a judgement. That's because the complaint was about legal snowmobile use on a road, there are jerks in EVERY aspect of life--we tend to remember the jerks and not the normal people, and yes, there may actually be a bit of an impact on Lynx up in the northern part of the state--IF snowmobiles get off the roads in that area. Hikers F up wildlife also. A few years ago, a couple of game wardens were having to hike up into the Goat Rocks to kill a bear that hikers had been feeding. The bear was getting more aggressive towards people. Hikers cause erosion, hikers pollute water, etc. Everybody makes a detrimental impact. Might as well kill yourself if you want to have no neutral effect and be sure and wear biodegradable clothing or be naked when you do that. What you all can do is discourage your friends and others from moving here. Send them to Colorado, or Montana, or anywhere else. We don't need more "growth".

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm 
Most folks seem to get along OK on the shared part of the South Loup Loup Summit.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:11 pm 
Look, here's the deal. You get a 'bile up to speed you better watch for people skiing! Be careful going around those corners, saw a guy lose his 'bile once slipping big. He had to bail!

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
This post, to me, says bad. There are plenty of coyotes and assisting their hunting is a bad thing... actually, unless we are mitigating something we already f'ed up, assisting wildlife is, as a general rule, "bad".
I'm trying to be logical but not make a judgement. That's because the complaint was about legal snowmobile use on a road, there are jerks in EVERY aspect of life--we tend to remember the jerks and not the normal people, and yes, there may actually be a bit of an impact on Lynx up in the northern part of the state--IF snowmobiles get off the roads in that area. Hikers F up wildlife also. A few years ago, a couple of game wardens were having to hike up into the Goat Rocks to kill a bear that hikers had been feeding. The bear was getting more aggressive towards people. Hikers cause erosion, hikers pollute water, etc. Everybody makes a detrimental impact. Might as well kill yourself if you want to have no neutral effect and be sure and wear biodegradable clothing or be naked when you do that. What you all can do is discourage your friends and others from moving here. Send them to Colorado, or Montana, or anywhere else. We don't need more "growth".
its the amount of impact. I have no problem with having snowmobile areas like there are off road areas and I would have no problem with snowmobiles on most roads if the were policed to stay out of places they are not allowed.. which they arent..

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 pm 
Well, if you want more "policing" in areas, how do you plan to fund that? Higher fees?

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm 
Yep. Snowmobiles have proven to need baby sitters and should pay a fee to cover them.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:13 am 
n16ht5 wrote:
I could complain about "you people" but I don't generalize, as I hike more than I ride... IE: hikers going through meadows, cutting switchbacks, leaving trash, etc.
up.gif The Hordons pooping in their campsites, blaring music etc hiking in the woods annoy me WAY more than "modern" snowmobiles which indeed are way less noisy than the old $300 Polaris triple I also own. BTW, why anybody would go to Smithbrook thinking they're going to get a quiet experience is beyond me.... just sayin'. Oh, and I enjoy taking advantage of snowmobile tracks it makes things a heck of a lot easier in deep snow - snowshoeing or skinning. I'm actually a big proponent of multi-use, it helps keep our sno-parks and trails open and maintained if multiple users band together. We're harder to ignore that way smile.gif From a hiker,skier,snowshoer,horseman,goat packer and a sledneck!

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:27 am 
Agree with Kat

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 pm 
Kat wrote:
I enjoy taking advantage of snowmobile tracks it makes things a heck of a lot easier in deep snow - snowshoeing or skinning.
huh.gif I can't stand skiing/snowshoeing in them, and I find them aesthetically hideous.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/