Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The movie to see for education's sake "Cries from Syria"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm 
How about the REST OF THE WORLD help out Syria?????

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gb

gb
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Glad to see you took the time to educate yourself.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 pm 
gb wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Glad to see you took the time to educate yourself.
It isnt about education, or even the knowledge of the details of what you posted. Its the general expectation that exists world wide that the United States always take the lead in humanitarian affairs. In the last twenty five years Iv'e closed out four passports! Ive been around so to speak. Ive worked in Canada, Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia. Im certainly not opposed to humanitarian outreach. That said Id like to see more first world nations getting involved.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chico

Chico
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That said Id like to see more first world nations getting involved.
Such as those countries in that little corner of this place we call earth!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm 
Research has shown that attempts to educate people biased by strong ideology works as well as throwing water on a grease fire.

gb

gb
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:10 am 
I certainly agree that the problem in Syria should be one of all people around the globe. But I also, in watching this particular Charlie Rose program, found that there were some enlightening points brought up. I certainly intend to try to see this movie, as painful as it will be. And seeing as we live in a country that prides itself on it's democratic history and public participation in process, I think it is the duty of every person in this country to take the time to learn about issues both domestic and international. In the same program in a different section on the education of US citizens in the US political system (not politics which is different), a Judge in the US 2nd District who is part of an effort to lead US citizens to better educate themselves in civics brought up a couple of amazing facts: 1) That only 20% can name the three branches of government, and 2) That 10% believed that Judge Judy was on the Supreme Court. Ah.....democracy....? My goal in posting this was not to make a political statement, but to say, "Take a look at this, it is enlightening." Had I not watched the program it is possible I would never have encountered this movie.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
American corporate interests do not want American citizens to be aware of their civic rights or responsibilities. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the status of education in the US. Syria is a mess that has lasted throughout time. US intervention would not solve a thing. Yes, it's a humanitarian disaster, civil wars typically are, but our presence there would be about as effective as it was during the war in Lebanon.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode