Forum Index > Pacific NW History > "Geology of the Mount Baker region" book
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 pm 
Here is an update on Dave Tucker's book-in-progress about "Geology of the Mount Baker Region" (not necessarily the exact title). Some of you may remember that there were TRs from field checks of several of the book's chapters done in 2016, including Rainbow Ridge , Scott Paul Trail, Heliotrope Ridge, Ptarmigan Ridge, and Ridley Creek to Park Butte. I have just received word from Dave that he "got stalled on making the maps." He is hoping for a latest summer, 2017, finalization of the manuscript, with copies in print for Christmas 2017. ...hopefully! Based on the success of his first book, Geology Underfoot in Western Washington, it will be worth the wait in my opinion. (This is a link to a 65 minute presentation on that book by the author).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 12:47 pm 
Dave Tucker is also the instructor for a field seminar offered by the North Cascades Institute. I was with him last year for a Mount Baker excursion and he brings the geology to life pointing out the lava flows that were beneath a glacial lake and those that were exposed to the air. You will be enriched by being his student for the day. http://ncascades.org/signup/programs/geology-fire-and-ice-in-mount-bakers-morovitz-meadow

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 12:56 pm 
Thanks for pointing this out, Mike. Dave conducts superb field trips, suitable for anyone with curiosity about the natural world. The pace is leisurely and I suspect that nearly everyone reading this on NWHIKERS could handle this moderate hike. Many of you have no doubt been to Morovitz Meadows and Railroad Grade from Schreibers Meadow and if you have questions about the geologic features encountered, then this trip might be for you. The proceeds benefit the North Cascades Institute's educational program. No, I am not affiliated with NCI nor do I benefit from any book sales. I am just the "postman."

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still