Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you prefer to see pictures of a place before you hike there?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you prefer to see pictures of a place before you hike there?
I prefer to see some pictures of the destination and/or route
84%
 84%  [ 27 ]
I prefer to keep it a mystery until I get there
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
I guess my option in this poll is a mystery... you did not list it once again!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 am 
Most people seem to be saying yes to this. I think that's why people appreciate the trip reports so much. I know I do. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 am 
My brother is an odd example: He researches hikes thoroughly, looks at guidebooks and trail reports and plans well ahead of the outing. But once on trail he gets livid if anyone offers up a comment or suggestion about what lies ahead. It's reached the point where I am embarrassed to hike with him unless where we are going is so remote and seldom visited that we aren't likely to run into anyone.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 am 
boot up wrote:
One of the biggest things I miss in Central Oregon compared to Western WA is being able to get current, or any, trail condition beta. Especially for new hikes, which right now would be all of my hikes. There is no equivalent in Central OR to the combo of WTA and what NWhikers trip reports used to be.
Ain't that the truth. The central OR outdoor recreation community is massive but they really don't have much of an online presence. When I lIved there I just got accustomed to doing my own pre-trip reconnoitering.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 pm 
Years back, when I was involved with what used to be portlandhikers.org (now oregonhikers) in its infancy, any time somebody posted from the Bend area, we all invited them to come back, but they didn't. Outside of William Sullivan's guidebooks and whatever Portland-area hikers have posted in their Field Guide, you're pretty much on your own for that area. This might be a good thing!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey