Forum Index > Trip Reports > Catherine Ck / Coyote Wall loop (eastern Columbia River Gorge)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 10:26 am 
I did a version of my big loop in that area yesterday, which is about 70 miles east of I5 (Vancouver) on SR 14. I started at the Catherine Creek trailhead, headed up the old road that is on the west side of the creek, crossed above the area on Atwood Road, dropped down Hidden Valley (Little Maui trail) and back via the Labyrinth. I saw my first grass widow of the season (just one, but probably some others I missed). This area has numerous trail junctions, some marked, some not. The started putting in junction signs last year and most junctions on the west part near Coyote Wall are now signed. Not so much on the east towards Catherine Ck. Water levels in the creeks very high and some crossings were mandatory wet feet. I jumped one and didn't quite make it. Another had water running above the plank. Some mud and lots of running water on the trail, but only a little snow in the shady areas up high above Catherine Creek. Never done a track but I'm guessing 10 miles or so and total EG of about 2500 in two separate climbs. This area will be lush green and full of wildflowers in about a month. For now it is one of the few snowfree/tree-free hikes anywhere around. Hikes in the Columbia Gorge are not only still full of snow, but the repeated ice storms have made a horrendous mess of down trees that will take some time to clear.
Forest Service replaced this bridge last year, and a good thing
Forest Service replaced this bridge last year, and a good thing
Trail 4427 is brand new, built last year, a cutoff to upper Coyote Wall. It crosses and uses dirt roads and tends to be very slimy muddy in wet conditions, so I avoided it this time and took the older lower crossing.
Trail 4427 is brand new, built last year, a cutoff to upper Coyote Wall. It crosses and uses dirt roads and tends to be very slimy muddy in wet conditions, so I avoided it this time and took the older lower crossing.
Grass is starting to green up and water running well
Grass is starting to green up and water running well
That grass widow
That grass widow
This pond had a cacophony of ribiting frogs until I walked up to it's edge and they all shut up
This pond had a cacophony of ribiting frogs until I walked up to it's edge and they all shut up
The one mandatory wet foot crossing. I got wet elsewhere but for better leapers, this would be the only one. I looked and there is no alternative crossing nearby. Wood was not slippery.
The one mandatory wet foot crossing. I got wet elsewhere but for better leapers, this would be the only one. I looked and there is no alternative crossing nearby. Wood was not slippery.
Above the labyrinth, the old voodoo tree where the skull used to hang
Above the labyrinth, the old voodoo tree where the skull used to hang

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 10:56 pm 
That's quite the rushing creek!
Quote:
I've had this happen a number of times too. I assume they detect the footsteps, but no matter how long I stand quietly they never seem to start up again. Either I don't have enough patience, or it's not the vibration and they see me standing near the pond.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:21 pm 
up.gif good stuff. I've been meaning to check this place out during the spring wildflower bonanza.