Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Lakes Trail, Eightmile Road - 3/12/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 8:09 pm 
The forecast actually delivered today in the Leavenworth area, so I decided to see how far I could get up the Snow Lakes trail before things got sketchy. Unfortunately it wasn't very far. The trail was mostly compact snow and ice for the first mile, so floatation wasn't really needed. After that it got a little punchy. Snowshoes would have been ideal but I skinned up the trail since skis were all I had with me. There were numerous small and medium sized slides covering the trail from a day or two earlier. Just before the 2 mile mark I encountered a very recent and very large slide path, which gave me pause. Beyond that point there were suspect slopes which had not released yet, so I decided to call it. As I was getting ready to turn around, a large slide on the opposite side of the valley thundered down the slope. I made a quick exit back to the trailhead. When I got back to the car it was only 9am, so I decided to head down to Eightmile Road and try to make the most of the good weather. From the gate, I skinned 4 miles up the road to the Stuart Lake trailhead. It was sunny and warm, so I was able to wear just a t-shirt most of the way. From the trailhead, I skinned up the trail a bit, thinking of perhaps going to one of the lakes. I had a nasty hotspot developing that was saying no, however. I returned to the trailhead and then enjoyed a nice road ski back to the car. In the morning the snow had a thin rain crust, but by noon it had softened. By the time I skied out it was mashed potatos. Not great either way but at least the sun was out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 8:17 pm 
That area up toward Snow Lakes is prone to slides and I foolishly snowshoed up there one April as a novice hiker across some avalanche debris fields that I later learned were deep enough to take out the summer trail which crosses a boulder field there.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 8:22 pm 
RichP wrote:
That area up toward Snow Lake is prone to slides and I foolishly snowshoed up there one April as a novice hiker across some debris fields that I later learned were deep enough to take out the summer trail.
It had been a few years since I was last on the Snow Lakes trail. For some reason I was thinking that the slopes had more anchors holding things together, but I was definitely mistaken. There's slide potential just about everywhere after the first mile.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
When I got back to the car it was only 9am, so I decided to head down to Eightmile Road and try to make the most of the good weather. From the gate, I skinned 4 miles up the road to the Stuart Lake trailhead. It was sunny and warm, so I was able to wear just a t-shirt most of the way. From the trailhead, I skinned up the trail a bit, thinking of perhaps going to one of the lakes. I had a nasty hotspot developing that was saying no, however. I returned to the trailhead and then enjoyed a nice road ski back to the car.
Thanks for the report. Like you, I was very nervous about potential avalanche today Any sign of a established trail headed to Colchuck? And, whats a "hot spot"?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Thanks for the report. Like you, I was very nervous about potential avalanche today Any sign of a established trail headed to Colchuck? And, whats a "hot spot"?
There's a skin track at least as far as the Colchuck-Stuart trail junction since a couple of skiers overnighted by Stuart Lake on Saturday. A hotspot is an area on your foot where a blister is beginning to form due to rubbing.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:26 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Any sign of a established trail headed to Colchuck?
My son-in-law and some friends skinned up to Colchuck Lake around 10 days ago. They were going on into the Enchantments but had the good sense to turn around. BTW JSH, informative report up.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am 
JSH & HTT Thanks for the replies and info

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:48 am 
Thanks for the updates. Those slides would have given me pause as well! I'm glad you were able to find a second option and get some nice sun and trail time in smile.gif.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm 
Love that last shot of yours.