Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stomach Gas..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:25 pm 
Thanks so much Wakerobin! I had not considered Gall Bladder issues, I have had kidney stones for probably 10 years or so, with two procedures performed to break them up and a couple passed on their own. I hope I don't also have Gall Stones, not sure if my symptoms could be related to Gall Bladder dysfunction, but not stones. But at least this gives me something more to research regarding my problem and to discuss with my Doctor.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 4:54 pm 
You are welcome. Once I finally got my ultrasound and started researching all the symptoms you can have, I realized I had been symptomatic for quite some time. Hope you are able to get some answers soon.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 pm 
A friend suggested drinking pickle juice for stomach gas issues. Been doing it for about a week now and it seems to work well. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 7:18 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
A friend suggested drinking pickle juice for stomach gas issues. Been doing it for about a week now and it seems to work well. up.gif
Might try apple cider vinegar and see if has a similar beneficial effect. The sodium load from pickle juice could have an undesired side effect on blood pressure.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 pm 
True, probably dilute it though as unlike pickle juice, apple cider vinegar tastes nasty to me...although I do like to soak my cucumbers in a diluted mixture.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am 
Have you gained any weight recently? Your symptoms sound like acid reflux. Extra weight puts pressure on your esophageal sphincter. A few pounds can be the difference between okay and too much depending on how tight your ES is.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:07 pm 
Try Prilosec for a week or so - my wife had the same thing & it's worked wonders for her.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm 
Layback wrote:
Have you gained any weight recently? Your symptoms sound like acid reflux. Extra weight puts pressure on your esophageal sphincter. A few pounds can be the difference between okay and too much depending on how tight your ES is.
No weight gain. The gas is usually non acidic, more annoying than anything else and seems to be triggered by certain foods and liquids. If for instance I consume strong coffee and peanut butter-bread or Mexican food with a lot of salsa then it comes on. Apples and pickle juice almost always alleviate the problem. The problem seems to come and go and has been better as of late. I might try Prilosec and see if that helps, thanks.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 pm 
I began having terrible acid reflux - so badly at one point I thought I was having a heart attack. The doc put me on omeprazole for several months and it improved slightly. I went to another doc for a second opinion and they ran a slew of tests and turned up that I was allergic to gluten. Just about off the scales on the numbers. I've eaten wheat all my life with no problems until now. I was a different person a week after I eliminated gluten. I'm not suggesting that's what your problem is but it sounds like an allergen to me and you should either be tested or eliminate stuff from your diet and gradually reintroduce them to find the culprit.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 3:11 pm 
That could be Shroeder, another thing that gets me is Chinese food, maybe the MSG in it?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:28 am 
Wakerobin, et al RE: Gallbladders... I had two gallstone attacks just before a 5 night raft trip on the Main Salmon. The 1st one was debilitating and scary; I had never had a pressure on my upper GI/diaphram like that. I passed it off as extreme acid reflux. The next day, another milder attack, but with 5 days on a remote river ahead of me, I had to get it checked out. ER doc would not let me go rafting for fear of liver/bile duct blockage. My wife and I lost all our money for the raft trip. rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif Still I consider myself lucky I didn't get that attack half way down the River of No Return. So, in short, I respect your decision not to have the surgery(I am sympton free now w. no dietary restrictions), but you should be very careful on long, remote trips away from medical care out of respect for yourself AND the 1st responders who would need to help you. Tom

neek

neek
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm 
Maybe you have gut fermentation syndrome. (not really.)
RandyHiker wrote:
The sodium load from pickle juice could have an undesired side effect on blood pressure
The link between sodium and blood pressure is perhaps not so direct as once thought. Microbe imbalance seems feasible; I've heard good things about DIY fecal transplants. (not really.)

trestle

trestle
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:38 pm 
Sorry but a fecal transplant sounds about as appealing as a neck tourniquet. wink.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm 
My father recently had his gallbladder removed as well as part of his stomach and a stint put into a liver duct. And a large part of his pancreas removed too. This was all a result of them finding he had pancreatic cancer. After the surgery his burping became much more prominent and has really upset him with definite inconveniences. Maybe the gallbladder was a result of his burping? Maybe yours too? I do not know.

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 pm 
I tried a lower acid coffee and it helped a lot. I also read that drinking too much with or just after meals can cause excessive burping. So I am trying to sip my drinks instead of taking large gulps. It might not be a coincidence that this problem started around the time I had another kidney stone episode and made a conscious effort to drink more fluids. doh.gif I made a spicy Chicken Cacciatore recipe tonight and so far, no gas! up.gif Chicken Cacciatore, it turned out pretty good, although I got a bit carried away with the red pepper flakes. Ingredients: I large or two small chicken breasts, 1/2-1 cup of sliced crimini mushrooms, 4 finely chopped cloves garlic, 1 medium onion of your choice, chopped, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced or chopped, 1/4-1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 cup beef broth or stock, I teaspoon each of dried basil leaves and parsley flakes, 1 lg can crushed tomatoes, and 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (careful)....cut chicken breast into 2" strip and brown for 5 min. each side in 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp butter. Remove from heat, set aside and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute' veggies for about 5-7 minutes. Cut chicken into bite size chunks and add to sauce pan along with all other ingredients and simmer for at least 15 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or pasta of your choice.