Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 28, 2016 11:31 am 
monorail wrote:
As I mentioned eaerlier, the rancher had access to live GPS data from the wolves' radio collars. McIrvin had access to this data because he employed range riders, ostensibly to prevent conflict. I cited a Spokesman-Review article earlier which describes the range rider/GPS program.
As noted in the WDFW report you cited above, nobody knew of the location of the den site (or any of the wolves) in that pack at the time the cattle were released because none of the wolves had been collared at that time. Ergo: there was no "GPS data" to be had by either McIrvine or WDFW.
monorail wrote:
Now, I don't care whether McIrvin is good or evil, or whether people love him or hate him. I do care about the fact that someone with this attitude is granted access to wolves' GPS data. And I think it's a bad idea.
What "attitude" are you talking about? That he requested of the Sheriff's office they get confirmation on the wolf kill? What's the problem there? Seems rather benign to me. If he'd asked, say, for an ear or a paw, that might raise an eyebrow, but I don't see any issue with the man asking for confirmation.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 2:31 pm 
Friday, March 17, 2017 09:51 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE Washington's wolf population continues to grow OLYMPIA – Washington state's wolf population grew by 28 percent last year and added at least two new packs, according to an annual report released today by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). By the end of 2016, the state was home to a minimum of 115 wolves, 20 packs, and 10 successful breeding pairs documented by WDFW field staff during surveys conducted late last year. The findings draw on information gathered from aerial surveys, remote cameras, wolf tracks, and signals from radio-collared wolves in 13 packs. The number of animals documented last December represents an increase of at least 25 individual wolves since 2015, despite the confirmed deaths of 14 wolves from various causes. Wolf counts are expressed as "minimum estimates," due to the difficulty of accounting for every animal, especially lone wolves without a pack. The report is available on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf All but eliminated from western states in the last century, Washington's wolf population has grown steadily since 2008, when wildlife managers documented the state's first resident pack since the 1930s in Okanogan County. Gray wolves are listed under state law as endangered throughout Washington state. In the western two-thirds of the state, they are also listed as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act. All of the wolf packs documented in the report were found east of the Cascade Mountains, and 15 of Washington's 20 known wolf packs are located in a four-county area in the northeast corner of the state. The Sherman pack, one of the two new packs confirmed last year, is in that area. The other new pack, the Touchet pack, is in southeastern Washington, east of Walla Walla. "Washington's wolf population continues to grow at about 30 percent each year," said WDFW Director Jim Unsworth. "That increase, along with the concentration of wolves in northeast Washington, underscores the importance of collaborating with livestock producers and local residents to prevent conflict between wolves and domestic animals." State management of wolves is guided by the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan of 2011 and a protocol for reducing conflicts between wolves and livestock adopted by WDFW in conjunction with its 18-member Wolf Advisory Group. The report outlines an array of non-lethal strategies WDFW employed last year to reduce conflicts between wolves and domestic animals, including cost-sharing agreements with 55 ranchers who took proactive steps to protect their livestock. State assistance included range riders to check on livestock, guard dogs, fox lights, fladry for fences and reports on the packs' movements. No conflicts with livestock were documented for 16 out of the 20 wolf packs identified in the report. Four packs – and one lone wolf – were each involved in at least one event leading to the death of a cow or calf in 2016. The largest losses were inflicted by the Profanity Peak pack, which killed or injured at least 10 cattle on a grazing allotment in the Colville National Forest. Consistent with the state's wolf plan and protocol for lethal action, WDFW removed seven members of the pack after non-lethal measures failed to stop wolves from preying on a rancher's herd. Seven other wolf mortalities referenced in the report were the result of legal tribal harvest, other human actions, and unknown causes. "We know that some level of conflict is inevitable between wolves and livestock sharing the landscape," said Donny Martorello, WDFW wolf manager. "For that reason, we are encouraged by the growing number of livestock producers using proactive, non-lethal measures to protect their herds and flocks over the past two years." The report notes that WDFW paid a total of $77,978 in 2016 to compensate ranchers for their losses. Contributors to WDFW's annual wolf report include the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, USDA Wildlife Service, the Confederated Colville Tribes and the Spokane Tribe of Indians. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 6:25 pm 
Thursday June 01, 2017 16:19 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A "Protocol for Wolf-Livestock Interactions," developed by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and its Wolf Advisory Group to guide efforts to reduce conflicts between wolves and livestock, is now available. The protocol prescribes proactive measures livestock producers can take to reduce the probability of wolf-livestock conflicts, and establishes a framework for WDFW's response when conflicts between wolves and livestock do occur. It also serves to increase the transparency and accountability of the Department's activities and management actions related to wolves. The Protocol is available in PDF format on the WDFW website at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/livestock/final_protocol_for_wolf-livestock_interactions_jun012017.pdf Please contact Donny Martorello by email at Donny.Martorello@dfw.wa.gov or by phone at 360-902-2521 for more information about the Protocol for Wolf-Livestock Interactions. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 6:04 pm 
Friday June 16, 2017 16:41 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Update on Washington Wolves The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife provides periodic updates on key wolf activities, conservation efforts, and management throughout the state. To read the latest update, which is now posted on the department's website, go to: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/updates/update_on_washington_wolves_20170616.pdf -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:31 pm 
Friday July 14, 2017 16:00 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Update on Washington Wolves A new Update on Washington Wolves is now available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/updates/update_on_washington_wolves_20170714.pdf -WDFW-

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm 
anybody else note the entry in that WDFW report about the capture and collaring of the wolf in eastern Skagit County on June 8? first confirmed in Western Washington.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 am 
SMACKOUT SMACK DOWN http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2017/jul/20/four-strikes-youre-out-smackout-wolf-pack-lethal-removal-authorized/#/0

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:55 am 
Thursday July 20, 2017 10:16 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW plans to take lethal action to change wolf pack's behavior OLYMPIA – State wildlife managers plan to remove members of a wolf pack that has repeatedly preyed on livestock in Stevens County since 2015. Jim Unsworth, director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) authorized his staff to take lethal action against the Smackout wolf pack, based on four occasions where wolves preyed on livestock since last September. Unsworth said that action, set to begin this week, is consistent with Washington's Wolf Management Plan of 2011, which authorizes WDFW to take lethal measures to address repeated attacks on livestock. It is also consistent with the department's policy that allows removing wolves if they prey on livestock three times in a 30-day period or four times in a 10-month period, said Donny Martorello, WDFW's lead wolf manager. That policy was developed last year by WDFW and its 18-member Wolf Advisory Group, which represents the concerns of environmentalists, hunters, and livestock ranchers. "The purpose of this action is to change the pack's behavior, while also meeting the state's wolf-conservation goals," Martorello said. "That means incrementally removing wolves and assessing the results before taking any further action." The Smackout pack is one of 20 wolf packs documented in Washington state by WDFW in 2016. At that time, the pack was estimated to consist of eight wolves, but it has since produced an unknown number of pups. Martorello noted that the state's wolf population is growing at a rate of about 30 percent each year. The pack's latest depredation on livestock was discovered July 18 by an employee of the livestock owner who found an injured calf with bite marks consistent with a wolf attack in a leased federal grazing area. During the previous month, the rancher reported to WDFW that his employee had caught two wolves in the act of attacking livestock and killed one of them. The department has since determined that those actions were consistent with state law, which allows livestock owners and their employees to take lethal action to protect their livestock in areas of the state where wolves are no longer listed under the federal Endangered Species Act. Over the past two months, radio signals from GPS collars attached to two of the pack's members have indicated that those wolves were frequently within a mile of that site during the previous two months, Martorello said. "This rancher has made concerted efforts to protect his livestock using non-lethal measures," Martorello said. "Our goal is to change the pack's behavior before the situation gets worse. Since 2015, WDFW has documented that wolves have killed three calves and injured three others in the same area of Stevens County. Gray wolves are classified as "endangered" under Washington state law, but are no longer protected in the eastern third of the state under the federal Endangered Species Act. The state's wolf plan sets population recovery objectives and outlines methods for minimizing wolf-livestock conflicts For more information on WDFW's action, see Update on Washington Wolves at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/. WDFW's Wolf-Livestock Interaction Protocol is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/livestock/action_criteria.html -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am 
^ Be sure to read the more detailed Spokesman-Review article cited just above by Dave Workman. This does not look good for the "Smackout" pack. Are there any recorded instances of the pack's behavior being changed because of the elimination of only a few of its members?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 pm 
Thursday July 20, 2017 13:25 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM CORRECTED LINK: New update on wolf management A new update on state wolf-management activities is on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website. LINK 07/20/17 update -WDFW-

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 am 
Ski wrote:
^ Be sure to read the more detailed Spokesman-Review article cited just above by Dave Workman. This does not look good for the "Smackout" pack. Are there any recorded instances of the pack's behavior being changed because of the elimination of only a few of its members?
Jesus Christ! THEY'RE WOLVES! What did you think was going to happen when you ARTIFICIALLY reintroduced them into an arguably crowded countryside? Amazing. shakehead.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 am 
^ I'm not sure who or what your comment is directed at, but there have been no wolves translocated (or "artificially reintroduced") in Washington State. They all got here on their own. As for "crowded": population density in Ferry County is 3.5 people per square mile, and for Stevens County 18 per square mile. Compared to King County, at 983 people per square mile, neither really qualifies as "crowded". Or to put it in better perspective: the population density of Hong Kong is 16,948 people per square mile.

drm

drm
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm 
The artificial part was their removal.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 7:39 am 
Well, if the got there on their own there shouldnt be an issue . If they got there on their own they need to be able to survive on their own.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln