Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Hood - 3/19/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
I went down to Hood this weekend chasing after the sun, and I found it. Leaving from the Timberline overnight parking area, I got started relatively late -- around 4:30 AM. I skinned up to the top of the Palmer lift, following the groomed ski run. After that, it was too icy to skin, so I carried skis to the Hogsback. Snow conditions were variable. Lots of wind-affected snow, spots of rime ice, and wind-scoured patches. Not ideal ski conditions. From the Hogsback, I went up the Pearly Gates (left chute). It was pretty icy, so I was glad to have a second tool with me. I saw people heading up the Old Chute as well, but not many. I summited and then descended the same chute to the Hogsback. I skied from there back to the top of the Palmer lift, making a stop at Illumination Rock along the way. The sun was softening up the ice, but it was still a bumpy ride. From Palmer, I skied the groomed run back to the lodge. Overall a really beautiful day and a pretty-okay ski. A great way to wrap up the winter season.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:30 pm 
Those are really cool panos!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:02 pm 
Way to take advantage of the weather window

Eric Eames
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Wow. Very cool shot. ~z

Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 pm 
up.gif

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 pm 
One thing I forgot to mention in my report... I left a few unneeded items at the Hogsback to save weight, including a sealed bag of trailmix. I stuffed all of the items into a durable nylon crampon bag, zipped it shut, and then clipped the crampon bag to my skis with a carabiner. When I got back down, something had torn a 2 inch hole in my crampon bag and pulled the bag of trailmix out through the hole. It was a pretty decent sized bag of trailmix, so I have no idea how it managed to do that. After whatever it was ate the trail mix, it tried to pull a ziplock bag containing a battery pack out through the hole, but that just wasn't happening. Not sure who the culprit was, but there was a raven hanging out by my stuff. Someone also had a dog up there too, so who knows. I guess the moral of the story is to not leave food on the Hogsback, even if it's in a sealed plastic bag inside of an incredibly durable nylon pouch.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:45 am 
I watched a team of ravens ravage an employee's lunch box and bag behind Timberline Lodge one morning. The small cooler was a bit trickier but they gave it a good go. PS: JSH, have you ever skiied/hiked on the Tilly Jane trail over by Hood Meadows? I stopped into the trailhead while taking a car tour class and was surprised to see there is an old lodge up there? Tom

avlfive

avlfive
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:17 am 
I'm pretty sure I passed you when I was on my way down towards the top of Hogsback. I can't remember if I chatted with you or not. I talked to so many people on my way down. The helmet in your picture looked familiar though. Sure was a beautiful day up there!

ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 am 
looks like a great day out. i never tire of hood TRs. There is Something about all that rock and rime that gets the juices flowing. i'm sure you realize this now, but yeah you have to bury your food up there if you're going to leave it unattended. i have had my buried food marked with a flag dug up by birds on mt baker. Take a safety precaution and mark your spot and then move your bag 3' to the x direction. #neveragain

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am 
tmatlack wrote:
PS: JSH, have you ever skiied/hiked on the Tilly Jane trail over by Hood Meadows? I stopped into the trailhead while taking a car tour class and was surprised to see there is an old lodge up there?
Yeah, I've been up Tilly Jane a few times. Most recently was about two months ago: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023044 That's a much quieter side of the mountain. I really like it over there. I assume the old lodge you are referring to is Cloud Cap Inn. Unfortunately it's been closed the times I was up there.
avlfive wrote:
I'm pretty sure I passed you when I was on my way down towards the top of Hogsback. I can't remember if I chatted with you or not.
I'm guessing you were the guy coming down from Mazama/Old Chute?

avlfive

avlfive
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
I'm guessing you were the guy coming down from Mazama/Old Chute?
Yep. That would have been me. That was my first time climbing there. up.gif Sorry for taking your trail mix. biggrin.gif The raven and I tore it open with his beak and my teeth. haha. Not really though.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm 
avlfive wrote:
Sorry for taking your trail mix. biggrin.gif The raven and I tore it open with his beak and my teeth.
That's some excellent teamwork. lol.gif

drm

drm
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm 
There are four structures near the top of the Tilly Jane Trail: Cloud Cap Inn, Snowshoe Hut (more than a hut), Tilly Jane Guard Station, Tilly Jane A-Frame. I used to be on a committee that managed one of them under permit for the Forest Service, so I know the area well. There are four winter routes to get up there: the 9 mile road, the 3 mile Tilly Jane Trail, the Polallie Ridge Trail (which has been getting more popular) which goes from the top of Cooper Spur Ski area, and a route (with variations) that leaves the road about a half mile from parking and just heads up and usually hits the Tilly Jane trail up high. This is sometimes called the telemark route, but it is not an official route. It avoids the hardpacked ravine of the Tilly Jane trail and the sometimes windpacked Pollalie Ridge. Of course above the structures, you can continue up towards Cooper Spur itself. The stone shelter is a popular destination. It is spectacular but of the many times I have been up there in winter, only once or twice was the snow decent. It is almost always windy above tree line, so the snow gets hard packed. Below the structures the snow can be better, but in these parts it's always just a question of odds whether it is wind packed, ice storm packed, rained on, or actually good powder. And this year when there were many days of good powder, it was often nearly impossible to get there because of road conditions.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm 
drm wrote:
The stone shelter is a popular destination. It is spectacular but of the many times I have been up there in winter, only once or twice was the snow decent.
The snow was good when I was there in December, but it was incredibly windy. The stone shelter was completely filled with snow. I couldn't tell if the roof caved in or if the snow had blown in through the door.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 am 
Great info on the Tilly Jane area. Thanks folks. Tom