Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Dungeness trail.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
It's the water

It's the water
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 am 
Some big potholes and a small patch of snow or two but road clear to Upper Dungeness River trail. Trail in great shape but SUPER icy about a mile and a half in. All ice the rest of the way. We made it taking baby steps to Camp Handy. Definitely going to purchase micro spikes after this experience. Had Camp Handy to ourselves.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm 
Good info, thanks for sharing. Did you spend the night at Camp Handy?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm 
We were up there as well on Sunday. I was going to post a trip report but the memory card for the camera is FUBAR. Someone with an Outback without chains made it to the end of FS 2870 - ie past the Tubal Cain trailhead. As Its the Water stated traction devices necessary for many icy sections - this includes the ice rink that is the parking lot currently. We made it as far as ~ a mile short of Boulder Shelter. Surprisingly the snow disappears soon after you leave camp Handy and doesn't start up again until about 4000 ft. We had to turn around at 4200 ft at a steep gully that would require ~ a 5-6 ft vertical climb up snow that is overhanging the creek bed on bent over slide alder frown.gif . The snow and ice is not very deep until then so it won't take much warm weather/rain to melt it all. We took a short jaunt up Royal Creek as well and it is similar - very icy in spots, didn't get to the first avalanche chute but was told it was "sketchy", an understatement I"m sure given the avalanche danger this weekend. Rest Step - Camp Handy was frosty but the flat area around it was clear of snow as were the camp sites at the Royal Creek and Dungeness junction if you are considering an early overnight. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm 
thanks for the info up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss