Forum Index > Trip Reports > Whiskey Dick West (Whiskey Dick) March 20, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:02 am 
I've been wanting to check out the Whiskey Dick area for several years and finally visited yesterday. Most access seems to take place from more well known points further east, but I was interested in seeing the higher areas on the west end of the ridge. The actual summit is part of the Wild Horse Wind Facility which only allows access starting on April 1 through November with a recreation permit, so we were not aiming for that. Our goal was the western summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn, a minor bump located a mile west of the true summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn. The road we used for access is located about 150 yards east of MP 13 on the Vantage Highway just past what looks like an old tire dump. This is state land and an unlocked gate is on the north side of the highway. We could have driven further up the road which goes all the way to the ridge top but we parked near the gate to get in some hiking. A few other people were out and about as well.
We parked before this seasonal creek but could have continued.
We parked before this seasonal creek but could have continued.
Hedgehog cactus is everywhere around here. In a few weeks these will have colorful flowers and brighten up the hillsides.
Hedgehog cactus is everywhere around here. In a few weeks these will have colorful flowers and brighten up the hillsides.
Whiskey Dick West 3718.'
Whiskey Dick West 3718.'
A group of bull elk on the way up.
A group of bull elk on the way up.
The Wild Horse Wind Facility property encompasses the summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn.
The Wild Horse Wind Facility property encompasses the summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn.
On Whiskey Dick ridge headed to Whiskey Dick West.
On Whiskey Dick ridge headed to Whiskey Dick West.
Whiskey Dick West summit.
Whiskey Dick West summit.
The summit area is crowned with rocks.
The summit area is crowned with rocks.
A welcome wind break on the summit.
A welcome wind break on the summit.
Summit benchmark.
Summit benchmark.
A cookie tin register.
A cookie tin register.
The true summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn 3881' in the distance. A permit is required for access from Wild Horse Wind Facility.
The true summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn 3881' in the distance. A permit is required for access from Wild Horse Wind Facility.
Looking south westerly from west summit.
Looking south westerly from west summit.
The canyon where we spotted the elk on the way up.
The canyon where we spotted the elk on the way up.
Almost back to the car.
Almost back to the car.
This gate is located about 150 yards east of MP 13 on the Vantage Highway. It is not locked but there is a chain to keep it closed.
This gate is located about 150 yards east of MP 13 on the Vantage Highway. It is not locked but there is a chain to keep it closed.
This area is loaded with hedgehog cactus. They were even growing around the summit area at over 3700.' Probably not the best place to take a dog for a walk as they have some serious thorns. In a few weeks they should be blooming to add some color to the hillsides. 5 miles and 1500' gain. For anyone interested, The Wild Horse Renewable Energy Center near the top of Whiskey Dick Mtn opens on April 1 with lots of activities to kick off the season. Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1263260577089890/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:26 am 
up.gif I was just looking at a loop or other type of trip through there, so I could start from the TH listed in "Best Desert Hikes Washington" and hike it ?
Whiskey Dick Mountain Options
Whiskey Dick Mountain Options

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am 
wildernessed wrote:
I was just looking at a loop or other type of trip through there, so I could start from the TH listed in "Best Desert Hikes Washington" and hike it ?
Sorry Rob, I'm not aware of that trailhead nor do I have that book. Maybe one of the two listed on this page? http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/lt_murray/Whiskey%20Dick/

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:55 pm 
Gorgeous elk!

RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:40 am 
mbravenboer wrote:
Gorgeous elk!
They look a bit gaunt as the winter was pretty harsh over there and snow lingered until a week ago.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm 
Oh the memories on this low hanging fruit. This is where Firestar182 and I went on our firsat hike together on Feb 14, 2011. Whiskey Dick on Valentines Day has been the joke ever since biggrin.gif Thanks for the reminder up.gif