Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:00 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
so exactly whom here thinks their opinion and preferences should be adopted by everyone one else?
MtnGoat wrote:
Why, the folks in favor of gating at Dingford of course.
ROTF, so true. bawl.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:46 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
You mean the organization (USFS) that has to foot the bill for maintaining that road? If folks are really amped to drive the MF road past Dingford -- you have some options: 1) Join Goldmyr.org and volunteer a bunch of time with that org and get access to the gate. 2) Start a Kickstarter/ go fund me to pay for fixing the road and reopening it to the public. 3) Mount a fund raising campaign to "buy time" with Reichart to get Congress to fund reopening the road.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:00 pm 
Option 1 isn't an option (unless you just want to drive to Goldmyer). Goldmyer doesn't give keys to volunteers to let them drive to DMG trailhead. Options 2 and 3 aren't options either. Those options ended when "the bridge" was sold, and the buyers aren't going to sell it back at any price.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 pm 
Tom wrote:
Those options ended when "the bridge" was sold, and the buyers aren't going to sell it back at any price.
I didn't know about that detail. What organization bought the bridge and for what purpose?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:26 pm 
rhammond wrote:
Our tax dollars built the last three miles in @ 1973 thru 1975, I was part of the crew!
I have a 1973 story about that construction project. I was 12 years old and heading out on a day trip with my dad and my uncle to Iceberg and Overcoat Lakes. As we were walking up the road below the construction site we heard a yell. I was the only one who understood what was said because I asked "What does 'Fire in the hole' mean?". As soon as I said that my uncle said "Run!" We didn't get far before the blast and we had rocks coming down around us.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I didn't know about that detail. What organization bought the bridge and for what purpose?
Figuratively speaking, the advocacy groups that supported the gate and sold "the bridge" to their supporters. They will continue to sell it and they aren't going to support re-opening that road no matter what. But you know that.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
You mean the organization (USFS) that has to foot the bill for maintaining that road? If folks are really amped to drive the MF road past Dingford -- you have some options: 1) Join Goldmyr.org and volunteer a bunch of time with that org and get access to the gate. 2) Start a Kickstarter/ go fund me to pay for fixing the road and reopening it to the public. 3) Mount a fund raising campaign to "buy time" with Reichart to get Congress to fund reopening the road.
Of course, yes, that organization and everyone who supported that decision as well. It's implicit that one has moral responsibility for what one supports, right? There are 4x4 road designations throughout the system. They require little to no maintenance. Try Van Epps Pass road sometime...not maintained, but open. And it makes the worst of the MFK road look like a freshly paved I90. The easy parts
If this doesn't need maintenance...
The MFK doesn't need to be fixed if moved to 4x4 trail status, merely opening the gate. In fact, that's an interesting point. Now may be the ideal time to reopen the issue.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 pm 
Tom wrote:
Figuratively speaking, the advocacy groups that supported the gate and sold "the bridge" to their supporters. They will continue to sell it and they aren't going to support re-opening that road no matter what. But you know that.
Which advocacy groups? DO you know? Also how was this transaction structurned? It seems a bit unusual for a USFS owned bridge to be sold to a non-governmental organization. I'mean interested in learning the details of how this was done.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:42 pm 
Simply search this site using Middle Fork. title only, and stewardship. You will have plenty to read.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Which advocacy groups? DO you know? Also how was this transaction structurned? It seems a bit unusual for a USFS owned bridge to be sold to a non-governmental organization. I'mean interested in learning the details of how this was done.
Tom is speaking figuratively, as in 'I've got a bridge to sell ya'.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 am 
Amazing ... we're coming up on 10 years since the gate went in and passions still run just as hot. I wonder if this is one of those things that dies down only with a generational change. MtnGoat -- great photos of that road. I accidentally tried to drive up there once and almost couldn't get my Subie out again.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:26 am 
puzzlr wrote:
I wonder if this is one of those things that dies down only with a generational change.
I don't think it is a generational issue. I'm an old fart. I've driven both MF and Taylor river roads to the end. Flown in a amphibious airplane to Waptus lake. I just value having places not so far in miles from Seattle that are beyond easy access for throngs of hikers. Not just for my personal enjoyment, but also so that wild life has a place to thrive.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 am 
puzzlr wrote:
MtnGoat -- great photos of that road. I accidentally tried to drive up there once and almost couldn't get my Subie out again.
I had the same experience with the Deathmobile, and put the road on the shelf for a couple decades. Last year I got back into a 4Runner, and went up in July. Brutal road. Top is awesome! Old mine site great. Fun, but it will be a while before I think about going back

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 am 
Tom wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
so exactly whom here thinks their opinion and preferences should be adopted by everyone one else?
MtnGoat wrote:
ROTF, so true. bawl.gif
For the record, I wish the road were still open to the end (and passable by less-than-4wd as it used to be). However, I still don't get the logic here - why folks like me who would gladly opt for a reopening aren't just as willing to impose our opinion and preferences on the folks who wish for it to stay closed. I guess that puzzlr has perhaps puzzled out the answer to this bit of illogic.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 am 
I haven't figured anything out confused.gif, I just get out there a lot and observe. The first sunny weekend day this year (March 19) attracted an estimated 1200 vehicles up the mostly paved Middle Fork road with ~200 stopping at Mailbox. If I had my way the road would still be a 20 mile "gate" of potholes all the way to Hardscrabble which effectively kept visits to the upper valley at a reasonable level. It also sent my car to the shop a few times. I'd rather be complaining about restricted access than about Mailbox peak sized crowds heading up to Williams Lake and DMG, and new boot trails up to Crawford and other pristine areas. With the road being paved I'm ok with the gate at Dingford, and I hope the FS doesn't fix up the Taylor-to-Dingford section too much. Given the direction of their budget in recent years and early signals for future ones, that is probably how it will turn out.