Forum Index > Trail Talk > Whiskey Dick Mountain Options
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am 
I have been looking at looping, thruhiking, and in and out options for Whiskey Dick Mountain. I have "Best Desert Hikes Washington" and have been on a lot of hiking and biking sites looking for old trip reports and/or maps. I drew some options on the TOPO but don't know the viability of each due to different land ownership. My options are... 1. Traditional hike to the low summit and back. Hike #17 2. Traditional hike to the low summit and then continue West making a loop back to the car. 3. Traditional hike to the low summit and beyond to the Summit of Whiskey Dick and back. 4. Traditional route to the low summit, Whiskey Dick summit, and out to Parke Creek Rd. as a thruhike car to car. Anyone have information on the current viability of these options. Thanks !
Whiskey Dick Mountain Options
Whiskey Dick Mountain Options

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 pm 
I would do that. Looks like a great route...of course I know nothing of that area....but that never stopped me before.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm 
What would be nice is to backpack up Whiskey Dick, camp there and / or drop down the trail directly to the North there is a spring below.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 pm 
The Wild Horse Wind and Solar facility encompasses the 3881' summit and parts east of it. You'll need a recreation permit from them for hiking on their land. Permit season starts on April 1 and goes through November. https://pse.com/inyourcommunity/ToursandRecreation/WildHorse/Pages/default.aspx The best map I could find showing the borders of the wind farm is at the bottom of this page. http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/hunting_access/private_lands/hunt/292/ I hiked up from the Vantage highway today on state land up to Chinaman's Hat which is west of the Whiskey Dick highpoint.
The true summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn 3881' in the distance. A permit is required for access from Wild Horse Wind Facility.
The true summit of Whiskey Dick Mtn 3881' in the distance. A permit is required for access from Wild Horse Wind Facility.
This gate is located about 150 yards east of MP 13 on the Vantage Highway. It is not locked but there is a chain to keep it closed.
This gate is located about 150 yards east of MP 13 on the Vantage Highway. It is not locked but there is a chain to keep it closed.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 am 
Looks like you could do the loop which arcs back SSE of Cribb Point with no problem right now from the East but 4/1 is near so it will only get better.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm 
Need to edit your access directions Eric! You like to get folks REALLY lost don't you? smile.gif

RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:44 pm 
There is an access or exit point on Parke Rd via state land as well so your option #4 should work.
Quote:
Driving Directions Parke Creek and Quilomene: Take Vantage Hwy east from Ellensburg. Just past Milepost 10 take a left on Parke Creek Road. Travel approx. 3 miles to the junction of Parke Creek and Little Parke Creek roads. Stay north to travel up Little Parke, or turn east to follow Parke Creek. Private inholding occur along Parke Creek road for the next 1.5 miles. Continue another 2.8 miles and turn right to access the Quilomene Wildlife Area.
ltmurray_quilomene
ltmurray_quilomene
http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/lt_murray/Quilomene/

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 am 
Eric Willhite wrote:
I think the security service is still looking for me.
guns.gif Sometimes a Black Ops mission is necessary. winksmile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 am 
RichP wrote:
There is an access or exit point on Parke Rd via state land as well so your option #4 should work.
up.gif Thanks, I am going to get a big loop in after April 1. I think I read where you can get a permit online.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Thanks, I am going to get a big loop in after April 1. I think I read where you can get a permit online.
Yes, they are free and printable online. It looks like they just got the permit page up and running. Very simple process and it appears they just want to keep track of who is on the property and when. https://pse.com/inyourcommunity/ToursandRecreation/WildHorse/Pages/Wild-Horse-Access.aspx I posted this already on another thread, but the grand opening of recreation season starts with this event on April 1. There are activities for kids and adults. I'm planning to take my daughter and walk out to the nearby highpoint on that day. https://www.facebook.com/events/1263260577089890/

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 am 
you might think about going in at MP 18 or being dropped off there. Hike up towards Whiskey Dick mountain and stay on the road as it turns east. Go up to the pass there at the head of Whiskey Dick creek. From there, you could turn right and wander the ridge down east and then north into Whiskey Dick Creek. Where it meets the Whiskey Dick Creek road, turn right and wander down to the Columiba where a road goes south and into the Petrified Forest area where you could leave another car. Or, at the pass, you could go down the old road into Whiskey dick creek and follow it down to the Columbia too and then back to Vantage area. In Whiskey dick creek, find old homesteads with ancient apple orchards and lilacs (!!!!) left from 100 years ago. ( Around the beginning of the 1900's, there were a lot of wet years and folks tried to settle there. They gave up when the usual weather pattern reapplied itself and the land dried out enough to not support drylands farming. On old maps, there was even a post office and the old ferry crossing of the Columbia is still evident on the west side of the river.) Neat area to explore without going into the wind farm and no permits required. Usually a good flow of water in Whiskey Dick Creek until later summer. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")