Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:15 am 
up.gif Grab some popcorn and leave your Kleenex at home! "Kong: Skull Island" Fast paced, the monster vs. monster scenes are spectacular, esp. the final battle scene with Kong's mortal nemesis, the Skull Crawler. John C. Riley is your 'comic relief!' CCR's "Run Through the Jungle" is fitting here! Great ending.... agree.gif

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 am 
Bad Ben...slow but fun. Found Footage genre, avoid if you hate it. House flipper gets a great deal at a sheriff's sale, but flipping the place becomes problematic. Free at Amazon prime video. Trailer

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:42 pm 
I never understand why some movies don't get a theatrical release. Watched "Fathers & Daughters" last night. Excellent cast--Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, Aaron Paul, Bruce Greenwood, Diane Kruger, Octavia Spencer among others and a young newcomer Kylie Rogers. Good performances all around. A bit melodramatic, but the story sucked me in. Crowe is Seyfried's father, a formerly acclaimed novelist now struggling w/ mental and physical health issues after his wife dies in a car accident. The movie is constantly switching back and forth between time frames, be warned if that bothers you. Seyfried and Rogers played adult and child versions of the daughter. She grows up w/ issues of her own and has some self destructive habits. It's tragic at times, intense, but has a ray of hope as well. I really enjoyed it. As I mentioned all the acting peformances were good, I was particularly impressed by the young actress and by Seyfried, who has come so far from the days when she was type cast as a prototypical blond bimbo.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm 
Saw several fairly recent releases on DVD the last couple days. I was really looking forward to seeing "Edge of Seventeen" with Hailee Steinfield. Her character was difficult to like for most of the movie. Occasionally when she got out of her own way she was fine, but she spent a lot of time being mopey and mean to everybody. Finally redeemed herself in the end. I wasn't quite sure most of the way thru but ended up liking it. Woody Harrelson was good as a teacher/reluctant mentor. "Passengers" was mostly panned by critics and was considered a bomb at the box office. I enjoyed it. I really didn't see what the issue w/ it was. There was a major plot point fairly early on that I managed to not hear/see a spoiler for, that was a surprise. Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence can both carry a film and they were good together. "Doctor Strange" was visually stunning. I think I'm a bit fatigued w/ superhero origin stories. Takes so long to try to fill in the backstory, I just want to get to them being super already. Story was decent but for me the last two Capt. America films are head and shoulders better than all the other comic book based flicks. This one was somewhere in the middle.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:18 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Doctor Strange" was visually stunning. I think I'm a bit fatigued w/ superhero origin stories. Takes so long to try to fill in the backstory, I just want to get to them being super already.
I actually had more fun when he wasn't super. The build up was the best part.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am 
I enjoyed Dr Strange. Cumberbatch was perfect as usual and it was an entertaining watch. I got dragged to it because I am so superheroed out. I found myself liking it anyway, until the end. I am soooo sick of endless explosions and hyperactive effects.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
over the hill

over the hill
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:13 pm 
up.gif CAPTAIN FANASTIC or AKA - 'Aragorn Goes of the Grid'. Lotsa local location eye candy used during shooting. Was wondering if anyone knew if the climbing scene was shot on Index Wall since the general store was.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
A movie with a title like Kong: Skull Island has no right to be so good! I have never liked the King Kong story, so I was very skeptical of this movie, but after hearing it praised so highly around the internet I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did, it's not only a great monster movie, it's a great movie movie as well! Acting is top notch (Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L Jackson, many other great names), and the story is remarkably well told and original. I love the Vietnam war setting, and the locations are truly breath-taking. The special effects are fantastic - all the monsters look scarily real, and the action never gets old. I enjoyed how it manages to inject just enough humor, as well as a sense of wonder and adventure while maintaining drama and suspense. I don't want to say any more in case I spoil something! I highly recommend seeing this one in theaters, in 3D if possible! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 pm 
"Passengers" was mostly panned by critics and was considered a bomb at the box office. I enjoyed it. I really didn't see what the issue w/ it was. There was a major plot point fairly early on that I managed to not hear/see a spoiler for, that was a surprise. Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence can both carry a film and they were good together.
I watched it myself last night and agree - it was entertaining and the trailers didn't give away the most important plot point to which you're referring. I never read any of the reviews either, many of which spoil the "surprise." However, after watching the movie I read some reviews and I'd agree with some of what many of them are saying. Things get wrapped up a little too neatly, the short stint of one character is just too damned convenient, the relationship between the two characters follows a totally predictable arc, and overall I'd agree that the plot goes awry about the time they discover what's happening to the ship. And then I read a review where the critic was complaining about the setting - calling the ship a sterile, boring interstellar shopping mall. Ummm, yeah, that's the point you moron. The ship is the kind of place in which a person would go bonkers without some other people around to provide some kind of stimulation. Hard to believe a "critic" wouldn't get that... Still, I'd recommend it if you're just looking for some light entertainment and aren't expecting an "Arrival" or "2001: A Space Odyssey" type experience.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am 
Miyazaki's Porco Rosso..amazing. I knew I'd love it so I just ordered the DVD, it showed up Friday...and I was not disappointed. A WW1 fighter pilot under a curse which turns him into a pig, flies a gorgeous red seaplane as a bounty hunter for sky pirates in a magical 1930s Adriatic region, while fascism rises in Italy.... My 10 year old boy and I watched it and we were enthralled...sound, color, story, experience...a delightful film for all ages. Trailer

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 pm 
Fun little indie sci fi film...I enjoyed it.
The Sunderland Experiment - OFFICIAL TRAILER from Blatke Productions on Vimeo.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 pm 
I finally saw "The Girl on the Train." I started reading the book but didn't finish it. Good cast and the performances were all good. The movie had a bunch of red herrings to get you looking the wrong direction as far as "who dunnit." About 2/3 of the way thru I started having a suspicion that proved correct (didn't get far enough in the book to spoiler it for myself). Overall it was decent but kinda went off the deep end at the end. Got some comparisons to "Gone Girl" but I thought that was a tighter story. Enough of the dark and dramatic Emily Blunt! I'm ready to see her do something lighthearted and funny again, it's been a while.

gb

gb
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:01 am 
Enough of the dark and dramatic Emily Blunt! I'm ready to see her do something lighthearted and funny again, it's been a while.
The movie I most enjoyed her in was Salmon Fishing on the Yemen

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am 
gb wrote:
The movie I most enjoyed her in was Salmon Fishing on the Yemen
I very much enjoyed that as well. up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 am 
I saw "Mr. Church" lat night. Not sure if that got a limited theatrical release or if it was straight to DVD, but it certainly didn't get much publicity or acclaim. Eddie Murphy used to be a major box office draw and now he's been pushed to the margin of Hollywood. I really enjoyed it. A heartfelt, tender, bittersweet, well told story. Murphy was good, as was Britt Robertson. I'm not sure how much longer she can keep playing teenagers in films. She's about to turn 27. She has a youthful look, but that's pushing it. Although this covered a time frame of almost 2 decades, so she portrayed a 15 or 16 year old girl, a college student, and then probably a 4 or 5 year time jump after college. Although Hollywood has a long tradition of casting actors/actresses much older than the characters they portray.