Forum Index > Trail Talk > Poo Poo point ridiculous parking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:57 pm 
Went up Poo Poo about 5:30 Thursday evening. It was pleasant exercise with a nice view and about a dozen people great sunset. Down before dark and a trip to Sunset Alehouse. Life is good.🍺😌

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 am 
Hikerdood wrote:
I have never seen anyone park at Squak Valley Park and walk 25 minutes to the TH until yesterday...
This is not new. I used to end my Sunday training with a hike up Poo Poo with my wife. It got to be such a shitshow of parking chaos, dog crap, loose dogs, people taking breaks in the middle of the trail, the dude endlessly digging trip-hazard rocks in the trail, people smoking, loud music, and pointless WTA work parties that we just gave up entirely. Haven't been there in a couple years now. I wish the DNR and WTA would just leave some trails alone. Not every peak along I-90 needs a giant-ass parking lot and a 10% grade rock-hard trail to its summit; not everyone recreates/hikes for the same reasons or wants the same thing out of a trail. Poo Poo was better before the Chirico trail, Mailbox better before the parking lot and new trail, now Teneriffe is being wrecked as an opportunity for solitude and strenuous exercise. Concentrated use, like Snow Lake, is a better solution than what is going on now. Plenty of people, apparently, are A-Okay with hiking up a 1.6 mile trail with 700 people on. So build parking structures at New Si and Poo Poo and let 2000 people at a time swarm the places. Then leave the steep, unofficial, unmaintained trails (the few that remain) alone.

If not now, when?
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
"Issaquah Alps!"
I think that term is meant to be ironic. At least I always understood it that way. I suppose there is the elevation gain aspect versus city parks, if you need to get your workout in that specific way. I'd much rather do a long run in Seward Park or Magnuson Park for an hour then trudge up a boring, crowded trail in the Issaquah Alps for half a day.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:48 pm 
Silver lining: As long as the crowds are at Poo Poo... they're not at your favorite "sekrit" spot. Unless Poo Poo was your spot, then I don't know what to tell you.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:13 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I wish the DNR and WTA would just leave some trails alone.
I agree. I am thinking about NOT hiking sunny days now and just go on rainy days. At least there are only a few people hiking! Have you seen Mailbox on a slightly rainy day? There's about 4 cars at the bottom as opposed to 400 on a sunny day!

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 pm 
MesiJezi wrote:
Silver lining: As long as the crowds are at Poo Poo... they're not at your favorite "sekrit" spot. Unless Poo Poo was your spot, then I don't know what to tell you.
True. No Poo Poo is not for me, my secret hiking spot luckily.

pawpy

pawpy
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm 
May be the onus is on knowledgeable hikers to spread the word about other access points. Or, just keep it to ourselves. I personally find it easy to access Tiger from the less known access points in Preston (to #1) and near Mirrormont (to South) and even find seclusion in the middle of a nice weekend day. Once you're deep in the trails the crowds die off. Hell, if you want Poo Poo Point that bad you can make it an adventure by parking at the massive High School lot. The other option is pick your times better - super early or super late both make for amazing hikes and the city lights from PPP are pretty amazing - Seattle -> Tacoma and everything in between. It's doable, just takes some searching.

gck

gck
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm 
I used to never do these hikes until I started hiking weekday mornings. Even on a sunny day, I've never seen anything close to a crowd at Rattlesnake, Poo Poo Point, Twin Falls, etc. Happy to let the swarms have these hikes on the weekends. Magnuson, Seward, and Discovery Park are nice, but they're a longer drive for me than Issaquah/North Bend on weekdays when you factor in traffic.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 pm 
Hmmm - the PooPoo parking lot was 90% full and overflow was on the street when I went by at 9:30 this morning. . . . and I would have gladly joined them if not for being on the way to work. . . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler