Forum Index > Trail Talk > Info needed for North Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woodchips

woodchips
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:02 pm 
Second the Cutthroat Pass suggestion. It is on the PCT, so can get busy late season, but it MAY be melted out sooner than stuff further west. I've done early season trips in the Pasayten Wilderness that have melted out way sooner that west side stuff. There's Horseshoe Basin (long drive, but mellow trail and beautiful) and lots of stuff up the Twisp River road as well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:15 pm 
OK I hear that. I would just add that I don't think the CW way up is all that steep/rough (nothing like Gothic Basin or Headlee Pass or Squire Creek Pass or any trail in the entire Northeast), and it's way below her 3000-foot max.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 7:02 am 
what about the chelan sawtooths (overnights are a requiements ) especially late fall(oct) when the larches turn golden and less of the requirements than the enchanments and more of them than the enchantments and flowers in the spring they are a long ways in the way in to get to twisp but worth it hot in the summer so carry extra water for the first day is the drive wounder around at 7,000 ft elevation crater lakes is the shortest way in so is the sunrise lake start at the foggy dew trail head 2,000 ft elevation gain and 6 miles to get into boiling lake camp the lakes the 7 miles the 7miles the first day to hoodoo pass basin it is about the same elvation gain except there is first day in and out up to first day to and hasit takes takes up to 14 mi up W.fork of buttermilk creek to some superb alpine country where you may meet 3-5 people there are miles of cross country climbing easy walk up peaks that are 8,000 ft star peak in height get the green trails maps and figure out where to go

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 2:35 pm 
Not sure if this thread is still live but wanted to nominate the Damfino Lakes approach to High Divide. Current FS road conditions map indicates snow on the upper part of the Canyon Cr. Road but presumably that will melt out in the next month. High Divide/Excelsior Peak from Canyon Cr. Road is sweet - and a mere 1,300 ft. vertical to reach the ridge walk from the TH. Fabulous views. between Excelsior and Welcome Pass. If you wish you can continue on to Yellow Aster Butte area by off trail route. I've been up there a half dozen times and would gladly return. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/high-divide-trail

Off trail rambler
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm 
These days it is a good idea to identify multiple areas so you have options in case fire, smoke, rain, or anything else blocks your plans. East options like Hart's Pass and Twisp drainage are good if rain is predicted. Fire/Smoke can drive you most any direction to get safe and decent views. I would pick options from Baker, Hwy 20, Marblemount, Mazama, and even Mt. Loop Hwy to have ready and move to what looks most attractive at the time. It makes planning tough but if you are car camping you can generally find something in the area. The park rangers are a great resource for this once you are on your trip and always worth a visit. Edit: I second the Damfino Lakes option posted above - we finally took that route last summer and wished we had tried it sooner. Also suggest adding short options like Blue Lake after longer ones to rest the knees.

rbuzby