Forum Index > Trail Talk > Vancouver BC day hike ideas for this weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:08 pm 
I'll be in Vancouver BC this weekend. I've not ever hiked in this area. Is anyone aware of a good online resource to check out when researching hike ideas? Or, if anyone has any ideas for me, I'd be grateful for any recommendations. An ideal hike would be 5 - 10 miles and the trailhead would be within 90 minutes of the city. I have no clue if that is realistic. I'll be bringing my snowshoes & micro spikes as I'm not aware of the current snow conditions either. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
s0rce

s0rce
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
I'm headed there in a couple weeks and my friend suggested a couple hikes, haven't been yet so I can't comment. Hope it helps. Post trip reports if you find something fun. I'll probably bring snowshoes and spikes. - Stawamus Chief: This is a classic and should be free of snow by then. It is busy in the summer but should be quieter this time of year. Only an hour from the city. - Hollyburn Mountain: This is only if there's still a lot of snow. It would be logistically very easy since you can rent snowshoes right at the base for $15. - Elfin Lakes, Joffre Lakes: These are much farther from the city (Joffre is a good 3 hours each way). Views will be more spectacular. Elfin Lakes we will have to see how the road is as it's a crappy logging road access.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:33 pm 
a couple weeks ago, i did a trip up vedder mtn, near cultus lake BC. should be within 90 minutes from vancouver. it was around 6 miles and less than 2000' gain. a high clearance vehicle is needed to get close to the TH (lots of berms) or add a couple more miles of road walking. once on the east ridge, there are diamonds on the trees to help navigate the way. it's an easy snowshoe trip. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=34495

Eric Eames
Kirt

Kirt
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 pm 
Thank you sOrce and rasing3hikers. I'll check out your recommendations. I'll post a trip report as well! THANKS!!

Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:37 am 
I think I'm a little late, but I was there hiking around just a couple weeks ago. It rained the whole time pretty much, so I stuck to low elevation trails, which I was pretty impressed with. The areas I hiked and enjoyed were Lighthouse Park, the Lynn and Seymour watersheds, Quarry Rock near Deep Cove, and Jug Island and Admiralty Point near Belcarra. Pitt-Addington Marsh was flat, but good for wildlife viewing. There was still snow in Squamish when I was there, so Stawamus Chief didn't sound like any fun. I imagine that could change fast though, and I know I've hiked it in March before.