Forum Index > Trail Talk > Umtanum Creek from the Falls to Yakima River?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm 
You doing that in one day? Dang, I wish I was still in shape.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 pm 
Thanks for your route information jdk610. I was not sure about the location of the falls for one thing. From what I can tell, they are upstream from the river (not far from where Durr Road crosses the creek and downstream). I was last in this area in early May of 2008. I remember seeing signs at the time that the pass was needed between mid-May and mid-September. I read the WTA post and then I also saw this site that mentions the pass free time as well. It's possible that things have changed since then. On that trip we crossed the bridge, hiked up the canyon a short distance and then took the trail up out of the canyon onto Umtanum Ridge. ~z

Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 pm 
The campground and parking lot at the Canyon Road trailhead crossing the Yakima is BLM and a Northwest Forest Pass will do. Not a Discover Pass. They'll tag you for it. The trail through the first part of the canyon was washed out pretty badly last year so while it's pretty easy to follow for the most part you'll need to cross the creek. Snow melt and run off here in Ellensburg has been substantial so expect high water. The beaver ponds further up the canyon have made route finding interesting to say the least. I know the trip has been hiked at least as far as Durr Road in the last few years. I met some folks coming through at Durr Rd who'd started in the Canyon. They were on the south side of the stream up in the scree so ythat may be the way to go. It can be a brush bash. Rattlers and ticks to watch for. Big Horn sheep, elk, deer also like it there and I found an elk carcass that had been taken down by a cougar not long before I happened on it. No, I did not stick around for photos. I'd hate to interfere with someone's lunch like that.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm 
Bird in Hand wrote:
The campground and parking lot at the Canyon Road trailhead crossing the Yakima is BLM and a Northwest Forest Pass will do. Not a Discover Pass.
Ah, a little clarity. That makes sense. NW Forest Pass or similar. I just couldn't wrap my mind around BLM wanting a Discover (WA State) Pass. Thank you, Bird in Hand. ~z

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Bird in Hand wrote:
The campground and parking lot at the Canyon Road trailhead crossing the Yakima is BLM and a Northwest Forest Pass will do. Not a Discover Pass.
Ah, a little clarity. That makes sense. NW Forest Pass or similar. I just couldn't wrap my mind around BLM wanting a Discover (WA State) Pass. Thank you, Bird in Hand. ~z .
Actually you'll need an annual interagency pass for blm. Northwest Forest Passes are only valid on lands ran by the usfs.

Have I offended you today?
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 am 
You're correct. I meant to say Interagency Senior Pass. Here's more information here on the various Interagency Passes. I mainly use my pass in National Forest Lands (and occasionally in National Parks) and got it following several years of using the Northwest Forest Pass so I somehow think of it as an upgrade. ~z

Brockton

Brockton
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 am 
RichP wrote:
I was on the Yakima River end of the trail at the suspension bridge a few weeks ago and there was a sign stating that the trail was closed 3.5 miles ahead.
Someone else in this thread attributed the closure to wintering elk. On a spring-time hike there a few years ago, though, I remember signs saying the closure 3.5 miles in (from the Yakima River side) was to protect bighorn sheep birthing season. Also, to second this information, a NW Forest Pass will not work at the Yakima River trailhead. I think parking there is free until May. After that, you can pay $5 to BLM at the trailhead kiosk for a day parking permit. Finally, to add to the ticks and rattlers, watch out for poison ivy and poison oak. I've been there many times in the winter and spring and saw some poison oak once but never noticed any poison ivy. Then, while visiting last July with some East Coast guests, they pointed out the leafed out poison ivy along many stretches of the lower trail. Since the leafless stems are inconspicuous in the winter but still toxic, it makes me hesitant to go bashing through brush in that middle section of trail.

jdk610

jdk610
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 am 
Brockton wrote:
On a spring-time hike there a few years ago, though, I remember signs saying the closure 3.5 miles in (from the Yakima River side) was to protect bighorn sheep birthing season.
I spoke with WDFW yesterday and they confirmed that there are no wildlife closures right now in Umtanum Canyon.

Brockton

Brockton
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 am 
jdk610 wrote:
I spoke with WDFW yesterday and they confirmed that there are no wildlife closures right now in Umtanum Canyon.
Good news! Maybe the bighorn sheep closure doesn't start until later in the spring, if they still do that.

JimK

JimK
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm 
I was curious about the permit info and did some checking. In past years the permits were only needed after May 15th. Earlier visits had free parking. I found this page: Recreation.gov Yakima Canyon At the bottom are two phone numbers. I called the "Park Ranger" number and received a call back. As of May 15, 2016 the permit is now year round. They are $5.00/day and sold on site. Cash into an envelope. Discover Pass and Forest Service Passes are no good. Federal Passes such as the America The Beautiful and Senior over 62 passes do work. Starting this year those visiting before May 15, like me, will need to bring or purchase a parking pass.

Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:07 pm 
Sorry, I misinformed everyone. I do have my geezer, America the Beautiful Pass and use that. I use it for pretty much everything not covered by Discover Passes. My mistake. But then, I'm old.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 am 
I've done that trip several times starting at the falls. As others have mentioned there's not a trail the entire way through but it's pretty easy route finding. I do remember one specific spot where we had to move up the side of the valley due to vegetation/ponds and I'm sure things have changed due to the beaver activity. I may have to add that one to the list this spring!

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm 
I tried it with a friend back in 2013 or 2014... I can't remember. We got 3+ miles down the trail to the brushy section and turned back because of the ticks. So many ticks. No snakes... I think it was May? A few people coming down the trail reported seeing a lynx so we were hoping to see that but we didn't! I went another time by myself and stopped at the point where the trail crosses the creek on the log (maybe two miles in). I stopped because of the snakes. (June) They were a couple near the trail on the way in, but the one directly in the middle of the trail that I almost ran over was the one that scared me bad enough to turn back. I've been up that trail many times but never even as far as the Durr road crossing. I've also come down from the falls side, but not nearly as far--a mile at best. I'm moving back to Ellensburg this summer and this thru hike is one of the things on my bucket list!

jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:08 pm 
A guy from the Selah WDFW office just called me back and said the other DFW person I spoke with made a mistake, and there is in fact a wildlife closure - closed approx 3 miles upstream from the Umtanum Rec Area TH for eagles nesting. From Feb 15 until July 1. Bummer, but glad I figured this out now and not when I was halfway down the creek...

Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm 
I just stopped by the Bridge parking lot this morning. The trail gets muddy and sloppy not long after crossing the bridge. Didn't need mud to my knees today so went on to Yakima. The water flow from the creek is still high but nothing like last years flow.