Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jackman Ridge 3/18/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm 
I was trying to decide on where to go today almost all week. I settled on Jackman Ridge even though it was going to be a road hike with a better than I'd like possibility of trouble on a somewhat dodgy (although not terrible by any means) FR. So. I got in my Forester and pointed towards Concrete. I turned off of 20 to Sauk Mountain Road expecting snow, but like the drive up, it was just very, very wet.
Just starting on Sauk Mountain Rd (NF-1030)
Just starting on Sauk Mountain Rd (NF-1030)
The road was in okay condition. Someone has obviously moved trees out of the road and cleared a path for a truck to get through. I was able to drive up to about 2200ft before I encountered any snow. I told myself that I was going to stop as soon as I saw snow, even if I thought I could press on. So I parked as far off to the side as I could manage and got my stuff together.
~2200ft @ 8:50am
Back at the car, snowing now
Back at the car, snowing now
I just carried my snowshoes and poles for the first mile or so. I guessed I would need them sooner than later, and I guessed right =).
Before long, the rain had turned to snow, and the snow just kept getting deeper. There was a distant set of ski tracks on the way up for a ways. It was a gray day and there were almost no views, although I was of no mind. The snow in the trees and on the road was beautiful.
Time for the MSRs
Time for the MSRs
I followed what seemed like endless (and was really only 8) switchbacks up before I found Jackman Ridge. At this point, or even well before this point, or well, actually the whole time, I had been breaking trail. For some reason though it really felt like I started breaking trail here. The ridge gave a real sense of backcountry, and provided a nice extension to a hike that would have otherwise gone into more serious avalanche terrain than I was looking to venture into today (NWAC had the north cascades at high).
A sea of white
A sea of white
Down a chute
Down a chute
Looking up a chute
Looking up a chute
++Hat
++Hat
Don't litter!
Don't litter!
I think I'll stay to the left
I think I'll stay to the left
I could have pressed on and continued along the ridge for quite a ways but I was decidedly a bit cold, wet, and didn't feel like switching around layers to get back to comfort. That and I'm going up to Artist Point tomorrow and don't want to be entirely kaput wink.gif. All in all it was a beautiful snowshoe albeit a bit of an endless uphill road sludge.
Just my tracks. Not another soul.
Just my tracks. Not another soul.
Called it here
Called it here
Jackman Ridge
Jackman Ridge
Along Jackman Ridge
Along Jackman Ridge
By the time I got back to my car the snow level was dropping and I decided it was time to get off the FR smile.gif. I definitely heard some shooting as I was coming down, but I didn't see another soul the whole day. Very peaceful. Very serene. I loved it.
A tad wet
A tad wet
Looking up into the trees
Looking up into the trees
And now I'll stay to the right :)
And now I'll stay to the right wink.gif
Looking down that same chute
Looking down that same chute
Looking up a looming chute
Looking up a looming chute
Just in case...
Just in case...
Map (using a direct link to google drive, so this may break):
View larger size in new window Garmin GPS: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1627690710 Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHskSGhZ8b

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 pm 
PaleoCook wrote:
Very peaceful. Very serene. I loved it.
A tad wet
A tad wet
...but still smiling! smile.gif up.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message