Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cool Canyon + Rattlesnake Surprise, ABDSP Superbloom; March 11-12, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 pm 
I headed out to the desert on Saturday to do some explorations up side forks of Cool Canyon, camp off of that rd., then meet friends in Borrego Springs the next morning to check out the wildflowers in Henderson Canyon. As expected, not too many peeps @ Cool Canyon & TONS of peeps in Borrego Springs. DAY 1: Cool Canyon I've been up this canyon twice before -- once w/MM who was particularly exhausted/unenthused that day after we summited Rego BM, & once solo when I hiked up to a saddle to a nice viewpoint. This time, I wanted to explore some of the forks heading SW & possibly tag a little peak if the mood struck.
Cool Cyn TH
Cool Cyn TH
Dudleya
Dudleya
Heading up the canyon
Heading up the canyon
Dudleya w/sprouts
Dudleya w/sprouts
A little further of the canyon
A little further of the canyon
Dry fall
Dry fall
Paintbrush @ the canyon fork
Paintbrush @ the canyon fork
About a mile in @ the main fork, I turned left, climbed a bit, & then was reminded of a dry fall one has to bypass on the left. On my 1st trip here I went a bit beyond this fall to the next fork.
Dudleya w/sprout
Dudleya w/sprout
Dry fall in side canyon, bypassed by going up & around to the left
Dry fall in side canyon, bypassed by going up & around to the left
When the wash split again, I opted for the right fork. On the map it looked like this one was overall less steep than the left fork, & while this might've been true, this one turned out to have multiple dry falls to climb up.
Above the 1st major dry fall, canyon splits again.  I 1st took the right fork.
Above the 1st major dry fall, canyon splits again. I 1st took the right fork.
1st of several dry falls
1st of several dry falls
"Gateway rocks" I'd seen from sattelite image
"Gateway rocks" I'd seen from sattelite image
Largest of the dry falls I came across.  Worked my way up the right side.
Largest of the dry falls I came across. Worked my way up the right side.
Blooms above the big dry fall
Blooms above the big dry fall
Terrain flattens out...temporarily
Terrain flattens out...temporarily
Once I could see that the wash was getting steeper & brushier, I opted to turn back & check out the other fork. This whole time I was hyper aware of rattlesnakes, though I hadn't seen any...yet. paranoid.gif
Going a little further, I found it got more brushy & steep so I turned around somewhere around here.
Going a little further, I found it got more brushy & steep so I turned around somewhere around here.
Looking back down the wash
Looking back down the wash
Funky rocks
Funky rocks
About to drop down one of the falls
About to drop down one of the falls
Tiny blooms
Tiny blooms
I returned to the last fork, & took the left branch this time. Overall this was a little mellower w/fewer & shorter dry falls.
Time to take a left @ the fork.  Someone had placed a couple cairns leading up this way.
Time to take a left @ the fork. Someone had placed a couple cairns leading up this way.
Easy through here...
Easy through here...
Grinding area
Grinding area
Shelf
Shelf
Getting narrower & steeper beyond this
Getting narrower & steeper beyond this
Again when it got steeper I found myself satisfied w/the distance I'd gone, & w/the heat & being solo I didn't have much ambition for summiting the nearby pk., even tho it was only about 1/4 mi. distant as the crow flies.
Looking back down near my turnaround spot
Looking back down near my turnaround spot
Rib of rock
Rib of rock
Looking back up the wash & @ "shelf rock"
Looking back up the wash & @ "shelf rock"
Descending the wash
Descending the wash
Triple nipple
Triple nipple
More paintbrush
More paintbrush
I reached the main fork of the canyon once again, & headed down. Here is where I came across my 1st hikers of the day, one of whom was a shirtless guy w/a beer/soda gut asking how far I went & what it was like ahead.
My shadow above dry fall
My shadow above dry fall
Flowers & rock
Flowers & rock
Bluebell/Canterbury
Bluebell/Canterbury
Stats for the day
Stats for the day
Route up the main canyon & 2 side canyons
Route up the main canyon & 2 side canyons
Afterward, I wandered around the parking area & eventually set up my tent. I looked for grinding holes & found more than I bargained for when I stirred up a rattlesnake... eek.gif
Looking across Earthquake/Shelter Valley
Looking across Earthquake/Shelter Valley
Grinding areas
Grinding areas
Grinding areas
Grinding areas
Red Diamond Rattler I accidentally stirred up :-o
Red Diamond Rattler I accidentally stirred up :-o
Red Diamond Rattler
Red Diamond Rattler
Grinding rock right next the start of the wash
Grinding rock right next the start of the wash
Cars from day hikers left one by one, the last being 2 guys w/a black pickup who had started late & ended late. A full moon was rising, which made my solo camp a little less lonely. up.gif
My tent
My tent
Easy access to car
Easy access to car
Fading light on my campsite
Fading light on my campsite
Rising moon over my campsite
Rising moon over my campsite
Moon over nearby hills
Moon over nearby hills
Full moon
Full moon
Full moon
Full moon
Full moon
Full moon
Full moon
Full moon
Though the end of this road is a mile in from the hwy. & no one else was camped nearby, noises could be heard down the valley from the other side of the S-2, namely that of dirt bikes finishing for the day. Later on, it was as if some sort of flash mob descended on the nearby Stagecoach Trails RV Resort to the north, as horns were blaring & a lg. group of people were cheering in waves of exuberance as vehicles drove around in circles for about 30 minutes. Then, they exited the resort & drove off. WTF?? confused.gif The people @ that resort must've been pissed. irked.gif I questioned whether there was some sort of worldly event that was being celebrated of which I was inadvertently left out of the loop. But anyway, I was glad those peeps tired of their wilderness disruption & GTFO. Later on, I would hear coyotes howling. Not so much different than being @ home, really. embarassedlaugh.gif DAY 2: Bloomin' Bonanza Spring forward! I got up around 7AM, which really felt like 6AM. I got a morning photo of the campsite & then packed up & headed to Borrego Springs for b'fast, where my friends would meet me as I was finishing up. hungry.gif
Morning light on campsite
Morning light on campsite
We piled into one car & drove the short distance to Henderson Canyon & walked up the dirt rd. & trail for about 1.5 miles, leisurely taking pics of all the flowers. smile.gif
Beavertail
Beavertail
Fishhook
Fishhook
Lizard
Lizard
Fishhook
Fishhook
Fishhook
Fishhook
We decided to check out Fault Wash next, after some guy @ Henderson Canyon said that was a good place to see lilies. We drove east on S-22 & parked @ the beginning of the rd. for Arroyo Salado, then cut over to Ella Wash to walk down where we would eventually hit Palo Verde Wash & then finally Fault Wash. By this time it was the heat of the day, my water supply was questionable, another person was nursing a knee injury, & none of us were super enthused about continuing on once we realized we still had a ways to go. We turned back & walked another 1.5 mi. back to the car, the temp now in the low/mid 90s. redface.gif
Lupine
Lupine
I wanted to check out Coyote Canyon, so headed there via the east end of Henderson Cyn Rd. Noticing the sea of yellow & mobs of people along the way, we just had to stop. eek.gif
Sea of yellow
Sea of yellow
Lots of peep in the field of yellow
Lots of peep in the field of yellow
Flower madness pano
Flower madness pano
Flower madness pano
Flower madness pano
Umbrella squatter
Umbrella squatter
We got back in the car, & continued over to DiGeorgio Rd. & up Coyote Canyon, where there were more cars than I've ever seen along that rd. We drove up a little ways past the Alcoholic Pass trailhead, then pulled over. Not a whole lot blooming in this upper part of the wash, but I did see a nice beavertail.
Beavertail off of the Coyote Cyn Rd.
Beavertail off of the Coyote Cyn Rd.
By this time we were all ready for COLD liquid refreshment. We headed back to BS & into Carmelita's which was mobbed, of course. They had run out of salsa which meant they brought no chips, & evidently were cashed out of some of the veggies too. The bathroom was out of soap, paper towels, & on its last roll of TP which somehow had come off the dispenser. Thankfully the toilet was not clogged up, as that would've been the icing on the cake...or rather, the sh!t on the rim, lol. embarassedlaugh.gif
Post-flower overload margs
Post-flower overload margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:15 pm 
Looks like a great trip! Boy I sure wish I had a nice sunny day right about now. bawl.gif bs.gif irked.gif I'm jealous man, enjoy that bright yellow orb in the sky.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Red Diamond Rattler
Red Diamond Rattler
Excellent image capture

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
JimK

JimK
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm 
Nice report. I'm glad to see that spring has started somewhere on the west coast.

gb

gb
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 am 
Looks like a grand spring for wildflowers in the SW.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 pm 
Nice snake photos! up.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 pm 
Thanks! Yeah, I got lucky w/that snake shot. I zoomed the camera from about 12 ft. away, & every time I made a slight move the snake would rattle more. paranoid.gif I saw another red diamond rattler last wknd. - stay tuned for upcoming report to see the pic. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.