Forum Index > Trail Talk > Yakima Skyline Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
markweth

markweth
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 am 
I'm planning to hike this trail sometime in April or May and would appreciate any information on what to expect. I've done some research online (mostly the WTA site and past trip reports here on NWhikers) and read the entry in the "Desert Hikes - Washington" book. My tentative plan is to hike from the Buffalo Road trailhead to Roza Creek, spend the night, and then do a dayhike up Roza Creek, head north cross-country to the ridge dividing Umtanum Creek/Roza Creek drainages, then follow a trail/road back to Roza Creek, grab my gear, then hike out the way I came in (with a side trip up to Gracie Point either on the way in or out). Any thoughts on conditions or adjusting this itinerary to see more highlights, timing for wildflowers, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 am 
It's been a cool, wet late winter and early spring in Wa and I would expect flowers to bloom later this year. I hiked out to Gracie Point on March 6 and the trail was still under snow after the first highpoint at just over 2700.' The lower parts that were melted out were pretty muddy with lots of loose rocks; signs say it's a horse trail. The road to the trailhead has many ruts but shouldn't cause any trouble if taken slow.
At the first high point on the ridge. Gracie Point is another 2.5 miles from here.
At the first high point on the ridge. Gracie Point is another 2.5 miles from here.
April 22-23 is a busy weekend for that area. http://www.rainshadowrunning.com/yakima-skyline-25k.html http://www.rainshadowrunning.com/yakima-skyline-50k.html

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm 
Rich is more familiar with that area than I am. However, as he linked in his post, the ridge will have a 50 km trail race on April 22 and a 25 km on April 23. Go to the maps on the links he gave to see the routes used. I will be at the south end of Durr Road that weekend operating an aid station. Last year the flowers were spectacular, as I tried to capture here.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
markweth

markweth
PostMon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm 
Thanks for the information, I'm planning to head out on my trip either the weekend before or the weekend after the trail running event. Any thoughts on which might be best for wildflowers?

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm 
Speaking strictly as a "wet-sider," I am guessing that the weekend after the races might be better for flowers this year, the bloom being late and all. But the "dry-siders" know best!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 pm 
Balsamroot bloom is coming on strong now behind my buddies house. I think going before is o.k.

Have I offended you today?