Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kelsey Plum--UW women's basketball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 pm 
Huskies get a #3 seed, will be hosting 1st and 2nd round games. Montana St. in the first round, assuming a win they'll get either Oklahoma or Gonzaga next.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:34 pm 
Anybody watching the game on ESPN2? UW looks like they haven't played in 2+ weeks...which they haven't. wink.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 am 
I went to the game. Took a while but Huskies ended up w/ a blowout win, get Oklahoma on Monday. Kelsey couldn't knock down her 3's but was unstoppable on the drive. She's been so good this year that it "seemed" like an off game, but she scored 29 and hit 50% of her FG and was perfect from the FT line. Packed house tonight. The building was missing some energy for a while but got loud as the Dawgs started pulling away. Gonzaga played in the earlier game. John Stockton was in the house watching his daughter, the PG for the Zags.

gb

gb
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am 
I didn't watch much of the first half but in the second they looked quite good. They played with lots of energy across the board. McDonald is becoming quite an athlete. Still some rough edges but what a lot of potential.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 am 
McDonald is so quick. Sometimes it seems like it's impossible for her defender to stay in front of her. I think they'll need to build the team around her next year. It's gonna be a night and day difference w/out Plum and Osahor, don't even want to think about it. Gotta enjoy those 2 for however much longer this season lasts.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 9:50 am 
Nice to see them settle in and play their game. The role players looked sharp, Collier had some presence, and we're much tougher to beat when McDonald plays like that. Oklahoma looks a little like Stanford so guarding 3s on the wing should be a priority. If Plum gets her right shoulder into the defender on a dribble-drive, fuggetaboutit. Her ability to score quickly in bunches reminds me a little bit of ol' Vinnie Johnson, the Microwave, former SuperSonic.

JimK

JimK
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm 
Plum outscored Oklahoma 17-16 in the 3rd quarter. Huskies stretch 7 point halftime lead to 23. She also set the single season scoring record. One more record falls.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 pm 
Just back from the game. Fantastic team effort tonight. When they are hitting on all cylinders they are POTENT! Plum and Osahor were great as usual, but McDonald and Romeo put them totally over the top tonight, and even Collier and Johnson were finishing in the lane. So fun watching this team play! Kelsey has one more record she should get next game--most made free throws in a career. Not much else she hasn't done. What a career and what a season!

gb

gb
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 pm 
With a double teaming defense, the Sooners held Kelsey Plum to 38 points. She may be the best athlete ever at the U of W. The Husky women played a very good game. If they can continue to shoot they are major threat.

gb

gb
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 4:42 pm 
One sided officiating. Fouls fouls fouls.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:38 pm 
Mississippi St. grabbed a ton of offensive rebounds and got a whole bunch of second chance points off of those. That was the ball game. Huskies didn't get much production from anyone other than Plum and Osahor, a recipe for disaster. Sad ending to a fantastic season and career for the Seniors.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 02, 2017 12:17 pm 
Plum has been cleaning up all the end of the season Player of the Year awards. Only one more left to be announced and she'll have a clean sweep. Osahor has also made several of the All American lists. The team that knocked UW out of the Tournament is playing for a National Championship tonight. Takes a bit of the sting out of it. Somebody other than UConn will be winning a Title for the first time since 2012.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 08, 2017 11:53 am 
Plum picked up another award Friday night, she was 9-9 on major awards. Every player of the year award and also best guard and best point guard. WNBA draft is on Thursday. Looks like a fairly weak draft overall. She might be the first player picked. She had a whirlwind tour, I think I read she was in 6 different cities in 10 days for various awards presentations. Coach Neighbors has left Washington to become the head coach at Arkansas, back to his roots. His successor hasn't been named yet. Sadly starting to look like the UW head coaching job has become a stepping stone and not a destination job. You would think they could find somebody that actually wants to be here long term.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 7:51 am 
You know the answer to that one: they had her and let her go due to a lack of "excitement" (the words of then AD Scott Woodward) around the program. She now works in Pullman and is back to landing in-state recruits. We hired two stepping-stone coaches and ended up in the Final 4 and Sweet 16. At least they actually coached up their recruited talent unlike the former coach on the men's bench. I don't know the hierarchy of women's athletics at the U but they are competitive if not at/near the top in every sport. And clearly, support from upper campus isn't lacking. I agree, it should be the destination for the right person, hopefully AD Cohen can find them. One has to wonder if Neighbors had tipped his hand to her at all so she could network during the tournament. Can't say that I know the order of the WNBA draft or the needs of the different teams, or frankly even who all the players who are eligible to be drafted, but Plum is likely to be a high pick if not number 1 overall. I've also read a few mock drafts that show Osahor also being a top-10 pick. They will be exciting to follow in the years to come.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 pm 
I'm okay w/ letting Daugherty go. I went to quite a few games during her tenure, and I was not impressed w/ her coaching or in general the level of development of players. She's had a fairly tough go of it in Pullman, although that's not an easy place to develop a winning program in most sports. She did massively overachieve this year w/ an injury plagued roster.