Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm 
Heaven forbid the cattle in Montana come down with some disease that MAYBE they got from bison!

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 pm 
Does anyone know how they plan to slaughter the animals? They mention "shipment". It's a little ironic we brought the disease over, it spread to the bison, and now they have to be killed in order to prevent it from spreading back from whence it came. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Chico

Chico
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 pm 
Should think shooting them.

contour5

contour5
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 pm 
Under a federal-state agreement, every year, the herd has to be reduced by about 10 percent. Several hundred get sent for processing to tribes, which distribute the hides and meat. So... Yellowstone isn't really a regular wildlife in a NP setting kind of deal. It's actually a ginormous meat ranch with a really slow turnover rate. I find this all somewhat unsettling, although not really surprising. How bout a live action, paleo-themed reality TeeVee series about the slaughter where hapless shlubs compete to strangle the Buff barehanded, or armed only with dull pinking shears or rusty old garden tools, or maybe just sticks and rocks? Tie in the story of the 1600 missing hikers and the recent reports of cannibal activity on the PCT and you'd have the perfect infotainment combination to distract us from whatever thoughts we are attempting to flee!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 pm 
contour5 wrote:
It's actually a ginormous meat ranch with a really slow turnover rate.
lol.gif Well, that's certainly an interesting take on the situation. Has there yet been a documented case of brucellosis having been transferred from bison to domestic cattle? Or is it just another case where a belief system trumps science? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:20 pm 
No. At least many articles claim this. Apparently, elk transmitted the desease, but not bison. I think this is really about grazing rights and the disease is used as a means to an end.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm 
I Google searched it a few different ways and I'm not coming up with anything that documents any cases of bison infecting cattle. Apparently it started the other way around: it was brought over from Europe in domestic cattle and infected bison and elk on this continent. Sounds like a dumb idea, but I suppose it's bison vs. Montana Cattlemens Association... wonder who will come out on top on that deal? dizzy.gif mca@montanacattlemen.org

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm 
My understanding is as long as the cattle herds are brucellosis free MT ranchers have free reign to export out of State. If brucellosis gets in the herd they get quarantined so it is a preventative measure. Obviously though if you have ranch land outside the park you don't want to be feeding bison and that is where excess bison from the park are going to go.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 pm 
sent Friday, March 24, 2017 20:05 PDT subject: where do the buffalo roam? Montana Cattlemen’s Association Vaughn, Montana, 59487 re: bison / brucellosis Gentlemen: I have done several Google searches using different keywords and switching the syntax around, and I am unable to find even one documented instance of wild bison infecting domestic cattle with brucellosis. I am certain this is an area of interest to your group, and wonder if perhaps you might have some information that would shed more light on this issue. I am not interested in “potentials” or “possibilities”. I am interested only in any actual DOCUMENTED instances in which wild bison have infected domestic cattle on the North American continent within the last 83 years (since 1934.) Thank you sincerely for your time and consideration. I anxiously await your reply.

drm

drm
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:42 am 
Ski wrote:
I anxiously await your reply.
Anxious is okay. Would probably be a bad idea to hold your breath . . . eek.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:11 am 
You might have better luck contacting a veterinarian that treats large animals. Where's Baxter Black? smile.gif Maybe a Montucky vet school? Or maybe even WSU?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 pm 
I just saw tonite on the local channel that there is a call in campaign to stop the slaughter of bison. The article also stated that there never has been a documented case of bucelosis passed from bison to cattle. The bison migrate in and out of the park just like elk and deer..

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:40 pm 
.... still waiting for that reply from the Montana Cattlemens Association. lol.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 08, 2017 6:27 am 
Ski wrote:
.... still waiting for that reply from the Montana Cattlemens Association. lol.gif
I still think you might have better luck with vets. You know... people who actually are learned in animal diseases and use science, vs folks who do know a lot about the land but are kind of under siege so might not be inclined to answer your letter.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities