Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:45 am 
Rogue one. White l liked it, I didnt think it was anywhere near the movie Force Awakens was.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 11:23 am 
I loved "Passengers" also. It has to be one of my favorite Sci-fi movies of all time. I thought it was original in many ways and didn't adhere to other formulaic sci-fi flics. It shows you can have an entertaining plot with some peril and not monsters (Alien series) or out of control robots (2001). I also really enjoyed "Mr Church". A refreshing and original story of dedication and loyalty. I watched "The Accountant" last night after really enjoying it in the theater. Ben Affleck and Anna Kendrick both play fascinating roles in this one.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 pm 
The vast majority of movies aren't really that interesting to me. But occasionally something looks promising especially if it has some retro aspects in subject matter, story line or production values. This movie is based on a book that was a bestseller in 2009--The Lost City of Z by David Grann. Who knew? It looks to be a complex tale of exploration and mystery. Now I am on the waiting list at the library to read it. Never heard of it until today when I saw a photo of a scene from the movie on the Guardian website--the heroes running full bore through tall grass with Amazon Indians chasing them carrying bows and spears. Yikes. The Guardian review is here. The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes is promising. I liked what they had to say in the Hollywood Reporter as well--"Glorious music, photography ...” This looks terrific for a period piece and not too many explosions or ridiculous special effects. More old school production values.
This could be fun. ~z

gb

gb
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 pm 
Just received and watched the DVD of The Point by Harry Nillsson, my favorite animation of all time. It was originally shown decades ago on television and I had tried to pick it up at Scarecrow, but was unable to. Apparently Ringo Starr, who narrates this release, was instrumental in getting the DVD produced. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 5:22 pm 
I haven't listened to Harry Nillsson in many years, what a great talent he was. Thanks for the reminder.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:34 pm 
Cool little animation but probably too snowflake for today tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Cool little animation but probably too snowflake for today tongue.gif
I guess that makes me snowflake. I like and would still watch Rocky and Bullwinkle today.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:12 am 
Our guilty pleasure is our complete set of Speed Racer episodes. The goatlet and I chow down on popcorn and do a marathon on rainy winter days. Animation so basic and bad it's hilariously good, plus the inexplicable Speed Racer magic. I broke down and ordered up a hardcopy of a Miyazaki I haven't seen yet...
I'm getting close to having seen all his stuff, I need to slow down and space the last ones out!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am 
Then there's this thing on the horizon for theatres...
CGI hell...but Besson is super creative so I'm going to have to give it a fair shot. Fifth Element was pretty good.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:39 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I broke down and ordered up a hardcopy of a Miyazaki I haven't seen yet...
Howl's Moving Castle is excellent. I have enjoyed several of Miyazaki's works. Good choice. Love his depiction of 19th century European cityscapes with some mix of earlier times. Note: I just went back and played your video. Dude! You have to watch this in the original Japanese with English subtitles. The dubbed in voices are so distracting and annoying. Totally different experience. Egad! ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm 
Funny....I hate subtitles and figure the dubbing is perfectly rational given that all animation is dubbed anyway!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:05 pm 
Here's the thing. The filmmaker and studio are Japanese. They animate the characters with a Japanese sensibility--gestures, movements, actions, story-line and so on. Even though the characters are in European dress--they are still Japanese in their expression. It's a cultural mix with European elements but a Japanese subtext. Surely you have seen films by Kurosawa and other Japanese filmmakers. The Japanese voices are more authentic and definitely map the characters expressions. I don't speak Japanese, but the various idioms and vocalizations they use make more sense with the original dialogue. You just don't get that in English. The one character that I recall in particular was the voice of the fire in the stove--Calcifer. The English version uses Billy Crystal for Heaven's sake. It immediately saps the energy out of the original and puts you into a modern day comedy. You don't want a recognizable Western actor/actress in these movies. This robs you of the authenticity--if there is such a thing with an animated film. wink.gif Surely you didn't see the Seven Samurai ("One of the most thrilling movie epics of all time.") dubbed into English? Don't let subtitles hang you up on missing more of the experience. Dubbing can be useful for children who can't read fast enough, but it shouldn't be a problem for a literate, well read person as yourself. Here's just a brief note from a long article on dubbing in Wikipedia: Dialogue typically contains speech patterns and sentence structure that are natural to the language but would appear awkward if translated literally. English dubs of Japanese animation, for example, must rewrite the dialogue so that it flows smoothly and follows the natural pattern of English speech. Voice actors in a dubbing capacity typically do not have the luxury of viewing the original film with the original voice actor and thus have little idea regarding how to perform the role.[citation needed] On some occasions, voice actors record their dialogue separately, which can lack the dynamics gained from performing as a group. I have watched a fair number of foreign films over the years including those of Bergman, Cuarón, Kurosawa, Visconti, Herzog, Almodóvar and more. I can't ever think of seeing those dubbed in English. Hearing the original actors is essential to the experience. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm 
Finally saw 'Arrival." I wasn't sure what to expect, but that surely wasn't it. Fairly intriguing, but the twist it took, I found unsatisfying.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:57 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
CGI hell...but Besson is super creative so I'm going to have to give it a fair shot. Fifth Element was pretty good.
I'm really looking forward to this one. Besson made The 5th Element basically because he couldn't get the rights to Valerian at the time. This is his dream project, so I have little doubt that he wants to do good by it. Of course it could also end up being the next Jupiter Ascending or John Carter. So we'll see. The trailer for IT came out today too, and it looks absolutely incredible (and yes, it is Rated R). I cannot wait for this:

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Apr 02, 2017 11:43 pm 
Life (2017) up.gif up.gif eek.gif Was pleasantly surprised. Not for the timid. Stimulated quite a few thoughts while watching such as the fight for survival and why some feel it's absolutely necessary to be in control (I'm not talking about the humans, but the philosophy applies to them too). Brushes on a very gloomy theme while encapsulating it's legitimacy. The ending was outstanding! A heart pumping movie through out, likely the best science fiction horror movie I've ever seen.