Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Scrooge's grandson, five years later
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 am 
Almost eight years ago, one week after his high school graduation, my grandson Willem was in a car accident and suffered serious injuries, including severe brain damage. At first not expected to live, he was completely comatose for more than a month and spent almost two years in hospitals and nursing homes. However, a small miracle had occurred in the nursing home: Willem 'came to' and regained some physical control of his body, plus some limited ability to communicate. After a year of rehab, he was well enough to go home. ..... That still wasn't very well. His mother, a doctor, had to give up her practice in order to care for him, full time. Willem continued to make progress, physically, but his mental progress hit a plateau. The problem was seizures. The medications needed to try to control them put a damper on his thinking. Reducing the medication level to try to let him make the kind of mental progress that seemed possible just resulted in more seizures. For five frustrating years they fought a slow moving battle, switching medications to try to find some best combination. Nothing worked, so a couple of years ago they decided to try a somewhat experimental implant, a device that could be used to deliver a shock to the brain when a seizure seemed about to start ..... and it worked! Most seizures were stopped, or cut short, and a second miracle occurred. Willem began to make progress on all fronts. He now participates in the Special Olympics, in both basketball and soccer. Last summer he was able to play a full, 18 hole round of golf. That's great, but it seems almost trivial compared to the mental change taking place. Willem can never be 'Willem' again. That element of identity was lost with the missing brain tissue. But, he is becoming a 'person' again, a thing we'd pretty much given up hope on. He talks, he smiles, he laughs and even makes jokes. smile.gif He pays attention to what's happening around him and takes part in conversations. It's still hard to get him to say what he likes, or get him to make choices, but those may come. Willem will never be completely independent, but he's back to being part of the family. ..... It's a lot more than we'd hoped for, for a very long time. ........................................................................................ This post is actually the continuation of a very old thread. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7975859&highlight=scrooge%27%27s+grandson

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 am 
That's good to hear. up.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm 
I'm glad to hear this, Scrooge! Thank you for the update on Willem's considerable progress!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 pm 
fantabulous! where there's a will, there's a way! your family's love for Willem is apparent! love and hugs

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 pm 
Good news. Thanks for sharing. Remarkable perseverance. Hoping for continued progress.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:23 pm 
David that's great, and also coincidental. I was talking to my brother from Wenatchee just the other day (you may remember his son John was friends with Willem). I asked how Willem was doing. The report I got was that Willem had shown remarkable improvement and was working on his music again. I visited Willem's site regularly until long after the accident. You may not remember this but after the accident I told you I had printed Willem's picture and placed it on my office wall next to a picture of one of the greatest and most inspirational musicians of all time- The Reverend Blind Willie Johnson. So I'm not surprised by Willem's return to music wink.gif. Upon retiring I moved those pics to a wall in my shop where they still reside. Great news and thanks for the update!

JimK

JimK
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 pm 
David, I'm glad to hear the progress Willem has made. I remember the original thread. Best wishes to the family. I hope to hear more updates with more progress.

iron

iron
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 pm 
good news scrooge. best wishes to the whole family and may progress continue.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 am 
Great

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:22 am 
Good to hear things are improving. up.gif smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:44 am 
Wow. News I never thought Id hear. That's wonderful. God bless. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 4:29 pm 
That is GREAT news, Scrooge! What a journey you all have been on. I'm so happy for these positive changes and progress. Best wishes and prayers for more to come!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 4:35 pm 
Scrooge, good to hear. up.gif up.gif And helps put the minor speed bumps of life in perspective.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 pm 
Well this has to be about the best news I've read in awhile. Good to hear Scrooge! May Willem's journey continue down the path to further recovery and a better life!

LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 pm 
Excellent news! It's amazing what one can accomplish with perseverance and a great support system.

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!