Forum Index > Food & Grub > "Hungry hammock hanger" youtube food videos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 11:30 am 
I just stumbled on a series of Youtube videos from the "Hungry hammock hanger" that you can see here I haven't tried any of these recipes yet, but they look really good (stuff like "Shrimp and sausage jumbalaya", "Southwestern omelet", "Aztec chicken stew", etc). All appear to be dehydrator based recipes and don't appear to be very labor intensive.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jstern

jstern
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 10:34 am 
I tried out the Hungarian Goulash last weekend and it was a definite hit! Very tasty. Should have let it hydrate a few more minutes for the potatoes, even though I diced them pretty small. But it was still really good. It was very easy to prepare, and I put the leftovers in the fridge until the next day, then dehydrated them.

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 9:33 pm 
I tried the Southwestern omelet and it was great! I also tried the Aztec chicken and it tasted great ... until I dehydrated it. Even rehydrating for over 40 minutes, the chicken was still tough -- like jerky. I probably didn't pound it as thin as he said, but I wasn't all that far off. I just don't think chicken is worth all the dehydration/rehydration hassle.

jstern

jstern
PostSun Sep 18, 2016 9:17 am 
That is good to know about the chicken. There are a few different meals I make with chicken sliced very thin that I wondered if they would be good as dehydrated meals. But I'm rethinking that option. I wonder if ground chicken might work?

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Sep 18, 2016 11:42 am 
I've never tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure from what I've read that ground chicken (or ground turkey is what I see more commonly) would work much better.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 18, 2016 12:12 pm 
you should check with sarbar on this one, but I seem to recall her saying that generally speaking, ground meats work better for dehydrating than whole cuts of meat. here's a recipe I tried using whole cuts of meat that turned out to be a dismal failure. see sarbar's entry about 3 posts down from there. ... and from what I understand, chicken is problematic. beef/pork/veal seem to work fine (for me.) you might look at freeze-dried chicken (as opposed to dehydrated.) hopefully she'll see this and weigh in here.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 5:07 am 
Thats funny because I just stumbled on him too.Good to read some reviews.

jstern

jstern
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 pm 
Success today with rehydrated ground turkey! I found a recipe that is pretty close to Outdoor Herbivore's "Blackened Quinoa". But was afraid to use any type of chicken in it and then dehydrate it, since I've not heard many good things about rehydrated chicken. So, I tried adding ground turkey. The results were really good. Definitely a repeat!

PNWdave

PNWdave
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm 
Please post a link to the blackened quinoa recipe if its online. My son loves it, and I'm just about to work on making my own recipe for something similar. It'd be nice to have an established starting point. Thanks!

jstern

jstern
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:01 pm 
I use the following as a base to start with. http://realhousemoms.com/southwest-quinoa-soup/ But instead of the shredded chicken, I tried ground turkey. I just cooked it in the pot first, then followed the rest of the recipe. The ground turkey re hydrated well. For chili powder, I used 1/2 tablespoon Ancho Chili Powder, and 1/2 tablespoon of Chipotle Powder. The Chipotle gives it a nice smokey flavor. I also use the red quinoa, as I think it has a better flavor than the regular quinoa. J