Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Booty
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm 
Found: Swiss Army knife on Hogsback on Mt. Hood, the model that has everything including a small magnifier(useful for a geologist when I forget my hand lens) in about 1992 One sealskin (the real kind, back in the day) on Mt. Adams in June 1984. Returned to owner, who had left a note at Trout Lake R.S. Full-length cushy Therma-rest on Baker in June 2013 and I tried to locate the owner with ads on Craigslist, this forum, and Cascade Climbers. Multi-tool on Inter Glacier in 1995 Trekking pole on Humphrey's Peak, Arizona in 1999 At least a dozen water bottles Several ski poles, usually below lifts after melt-out. A Chouinard/Frost piolet on the N. Cascades Highway at the Cutthroat pullout in the 1980s. A 24" SMC picket in the Pearly Gates on Hood in about 2002. This doesn't even begin to include the climbing hardware! Lost: A helmet from near the top of Unicorn Peak in about 1965. I set it down, then watched it slowly roll off a ledge. I looked for it below, but it was a Snell surfing helmet, all white, and I never did find it on the snowfield below. A nice hatchet on Chuckanut Ridge Trail, back when it was barely more than a deer path. A Kodak camera, left at the site of the former lookout on Bowman Mountain (this was in 1968 or '69) A Panasonic compact camera at Picture Lake, Heather Meadows, in October 2013. (fell out of my shirt pocket) embarassedlaugh.gif A Nikon camera at the Mt. Aix trailhead in July 2016 (took off the case slung over my shoulder and set it down, then drove off without realizing it bawl.gif ) I have to stop losing cameras! rolleyes.gif Surely I have lost other stuff that I have forgotten confused.gif Lost then found: A pot off the summit of Crater Mountain. I was scraping snow of the summit cornice for breakfast water but the alu. pot lifter let loose its grip and the pot tumbled. Since this pot was part of my fancy Sigg cookset, and I could see it wuth binoculars shining far below on the Jerry Glacier, I went down and around and retrieved not only the pot (remarkably only slightly dented) but also found a double-bitted axe that must have been hurled off the top when the lookout was destroyed. I have the axe hanging on my woodshed to this day, but sold the Sigg set long ago. Found then returned to owner: The weirdest thing was while skiing Mount Baker in May 2004, the three of us found a walky talky lying on the snow down in the woods. A month later on Denali we met a couple of guys from Britain who it turns out were living in Vancouver, BC. They remarked they had also climbed Baker in May. Tim, in our trio, remarked that we had too, and casually he mentioned that we had found a walky talky. It belonged to one of the Brits! What are the chances?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 pm 
Ah, too many things to count but here are a few Found: Iphone 6 on the Rachel Lake Trail (returned to owner) Brand new ice axe with leash and pick protectors on Mount Saint Helens Trekking poles at Stujack Pass (returned to owner who left note at trailhead) Outdoor Research rain sombrero at Gothic Basin TH #2 BD Cam at Playground Point, Icicle Creek lots of sunglasses and gloves Lost: Mountaineering tent with all my sleeping gear inside at Camp Hazard, Mount Rainier (blew away) More pairs of trekking poles than I can count Jetboil lid on Mount Hood Stuffed dog on Sperry Foam sit pad on Oyster Dome

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
ScottP

ScottP
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am 
I found a SPOT satellite messenger at the top of Chair 2 at Alpental a month after the lifts had stopped spinning (the owner was located)... Countless carabiners, nuts, cams, and slings... A pair of dog collars with tags in the vicinity of the stinking remnants of those dogs at the base of the cliff above the lower basin on the north side of Mt Pilchuck. I lost a MSR neo-air mattress to the wind off the plateau half way along the Persis/Index traverse... an almost complete set of BD wired stoppers from near the top of the Town Crier route at Index...A bag of food into the 'schrund below Liberty Crack...An OR sunhat to a hisser below the gunsight on Pilchuck...

reststep

reststep
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 1:41 pm 
On the Obstruction Point Road not too far from the parking lot at the end there is a pull off spot we stopped at and there was a pair of crutches laying on the ground. It was early in the morning and no one else was around. Always wondered what the story might have been behind that.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 pm 
Seems like quite a lot of weed goes missing in the mountains... dizzy.gif Lost stuff: fortunately mostly just water bottles, a glove or two, and a knife. Found stuff: nice NF fleece jacket, lots of hats and gloves and a great pair of Black Diamond trekking poles (brand new). Unable to find the owners thru lost and founds so I'm loving them now! The jacket, hats and gloves got washed and taken to Goodwill.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Bugs

Bugs
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 am 
I visit the base of snow and ice routes in the spring to find dropped gear. Always come back with something. I check it out carefully and pass it along to poor young climbers.

Always out there.
MultiUser

MultiUser
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm 
Hiker454 wrote:
The only mountain booty I'm concerned with are women in yoga pants, holla!
Yeah. The posts in this thread were not what came to mind from the title of the OP.