Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Peak most dangerous?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 2:52 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
One layer I've always wondered about was from Phelps Creek Leroy Creek area. Very light colored volcanic rock that floats... Probably from one of the last eruptions, because it's not down too far..( that razor hypothesis thing).. either that or it floated from the moon, and it's moon rock.
Yup, that's pumice from Glacier Peak. It's pretty deep in places in the Entiat area. I recall navigating down a cut slope in it We call it pummy. Before St Helens awoke, Mt Baker was the volcano that was supposed to erupt. What happened to it? Did somebody do a secret dance and put it back to sleep?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 3:11 pm 
I have been leery of USGS predictions ever since the USGS scientists monitoring Mt St Helens told us on April 4, 1980 when we were at the Mt St Helens north parking lot, not to be concerned about the about 4 ft vertical expansion of the bulge because if Mt St Helens erupted, the lava would flow down the gullies and we would have plenty of time to drive our research truck from the north side parking lot, north to Spirit Lake, and west via the Spirit Lake Hwy. We were very lucky to have cancelled our planned March 17-18, 1980 research trip to the Mt St Helens north parking lot. Our USFS research permit allowed access from 8am Thursday through 6pm Sunday. We noticed that the USGS researchers did not stay overnight near Mt St Helens - except maybe for Dave Johnston.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 pm 
Lost in the excitement was that the governor (Dixie Lee Ray) announced that people with cabins in the Spirit Lake area could come in for the day to retrieve belongings on May 18, 1980, starting in late morning. If St. Helens had blown later in the day, there would have been even more deaths!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
gb

gb
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:08 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
A major eruption could bury [...] part of Tacoma
Only part? frown.gif
The "Aroma of Tacoma" is long gone and it isn't infested with hipsters and amazonians. Lots of good real estate prime for gentrification.
Being a short guy, I've noticed the PNW in general is infested with amazonians. I wonder what the heighth average is compared to other places? It's not just Seattle, I think it gets better as you go north.. and by better, I mean more amazonians.!! Why does Randy dislike tall powerful women anyways? On topic, id like to see some brush Buffalo trip reports from the area. One layer I've always wondered about was from Phelps Creek Leroy Creek area. Very light colored volcanic rock that floats... Probably from one of the last eruptions, because it's not down too far..( that razor hypothesis thing).. either that or it floated from the moon, and it's moon rock. Ive wondered if there was a scenario with glacier that would affect any areas other then those stated.. Glacier isn't all that far from my house, but the is much up and down in between.. just hoping it doesn't blow it's top of to the wsw.
To answer your question (the one about the pumice), those layers erupted long ago. I recall reading a paper that dated the pumice layers. I recall 11,300 years ago.....should be able to Google it.

contour5

contour5
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 am 
Tephra is pretty scary stuff- basically a hail of burning rocks the size of baseballs. A firestorm of instant and total incineration for everything in its path. Many pumice beds on the East side of Glacier Peak are 10 to 15 feet deep, composed of two roughly equal layers separated by a layer of finer material. The bottom layer is thought to be the original air deposit, while the top layer, more rounded and oxidized to various shades of yellow from the original gray, are believed to be transported material which has sifted its way down from higher elevations over time. Ice Lakes basin is a magnificent display of the last tephra emissions from GP. The pumice beds around the lakes are sifted and sorted into color-banded drifts of different sized and shaped nuggets of volcanic spew. It was once a giant bar-b-que here, but now it's a sublime zen garden of pumice stones, drifted into different colored layers and patterns. The really scary topographical feature, for me, is the humongous trench sitting just off our coast. When the trench burps, Cascadia gets sucked into the earth's mantle. Volcanoes are the least of our worries.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 6:28 am 
contour5 wrote:
The really scary topographical feature, for me, is the humongous trench sitting just off our coast. When the trench burps, Cascadia gets sucked into the earth's mantle. Volcanoes are the least of our worries
RUN AWAY! EVERYBODY MOVE EAST OF THE ROCKIES BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! eek.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 7:27 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Volcanoes are the least of our worries.
Agreed. The greatest existential threat in the PNW is Seattle drivers.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 1:49 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Agreed. The greatest existential threat in the PNW is Seattle drivers.
ditto.gif Peep ask if I'm scared of wolves, bears, cougars... uh, no.... then they freak out... many of whom are totally oblivious to the risks of driving in Seattle. I'll gladly take my chances!

~Mom jeans on wheels